Bucket/tank Thread

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

Hola Campesinos,
I could not find my old bucket thread so I thought I would start another one. I would like to open it up to any system out there. I love aeroponics but after running into Krusty I had to switch over to his buckets for a few runs before using what I do now. I like the chow but to be honest it is just to boring for me. I am a full shields, warp 10 kind of a grower. Hit the wall a few times but that's how you learn. So if you guys have any thoughts,ideas on pumps, air nutes, we could stumble over them here. Suerte JK

deep buddy

deep buddy

i also am running w/ coco/coco mix. but i am really wanting to get to RW or LECA or RW/LECA . coco has a strange learning curve once youve got it your just watching.

i am trying to decide if re-circ or DTW will give better results. i am thinking of giving dif nute mixes during the day which would only be possible w/ DTW. it also seems that it is possible to use less water/nutes w/ DTW.
thats whats on my mind. thoughts?

J

Jalisco Kid

Running different formulas during the day I could not see why. If you feed them a balanced formula it is going to get thru the barrier. Unless you are loading up on Calcium I do not see why that would help. What got you thinking about it? I prefer my rcdwc tanks rather then dumping nutes to where I surf. That and watching how quick my girls are eating helps me watch their health.Suerte JK

deep buddy

deep buddy

Running different formulas during the day I could not see why. If you feed them a balanced formula it is going to get thru the barrier. Unless you are loading up on Calcium I do not see why that would help. What got you thinking about it? I prefer my rcdwc tanks rather then dumping nutes to where I surf. That and watching how quick my girls are eating helps me watch their health.Suerte JK
by different nute mixes i just mean less not actual ratios just something im toying with to save on input. and yes that is a huge benefit to re circ, being able to watch what they eat. and my waste water( what very little there is) very rarely goes down the drain, so i agree with you there. really just weighing the options, which are leading me to re circ in trays or buckets.

R

RustyShakleford

I just started a 4 bucket RDWC and experimenting without using airstones or an air pump on this grow. I put my clones into the system 6 days ago, I have roots poking out of the net pots and the girls look really good so far. I have the Airstones and Pump in position just in case i need to use them, but I have a small pump in the controller res FLOOMING, and my .5" Feed line is being dumped into the 4 buckets in order to help with DO.

J

Jalisco Kid

Air can be a friend. My tanks sometimes sound like they are giving birth. Depends on what you add to your water and the temps. If you are having a high turnover you can forgo the air in the dwc tanks. good luck with your girls. JK

dankworth

dankworth

Topdrip chow mix aeration frame in a tote with 1.5" or so swc at the bottom. Air. DTW.
Thanks for all the bucket, nute, and other things you have shared.

dankworth

dankworth

Bump.
Gearing up soon for round 2 of my ghetto bucket system.
Topdrip into 75% hydroton chow mix, in a redi-roots aeration frame. Suspended in lid of 27 gal home depot tote. Irrigated every half hour or so. Runoff pools in bottom of tote.Drain height creates a 1.5" layer of water at the bottom of the tote. Shallow water layer gets turned over as the 20% runoff runs off. Cap's bennies are used in teas. I topdressed with some Azomite and earthworm castings in veg. High P guano tea applied periodically during flower.

img_1712-jpg.222828

img_1711-jpg.222830

img_1710-jpg.222833

I am thinking I will rock a deeper water layer this time coming up here. As deep as I can get it and still have at least a 1/2" air gap between the aeration frames(the skeletonized netpots).
I will move progressively towards dwc bottom layer instead of swc.
Still getting my 20% runoff per irrigation.
Topdrip reliability and pathogen resistance, dwc performance once the roots hit the water.
Cheap, easy, tolerates irrigation temps in the high 70s(not ideal, but it happens if you are high or broke or both)
Also tolerates organic inputs awesomely.

So I screwed up and turned the room lights on 5 mins early one day, forgot to set the timer governing the trigger cables to the lighting controller back to auto instead on on. So the 12 hour night was 12 hours of light with no irrigation.
Anyways, the swc layer kept them going, they handled it like champs.
So in a way more inherent reliability than say a bunch of smart pots on tables.

I think I will stick with this system, or an improved version component-wise, for the rest of my career.
Next run after this one I am about to start will use 1 7 gal frame per tote instead of 2 3 gal frames per tote.
Kind of wanted to see what impact sharing the swc layer would have, see if I could get away with multiple specimens per tote.

Oh yeah I think I will get some Alita Silicone Rubber Diffuser hose for air this coming run.
srdedemo.jpg

K

kushtrees

self cleaning air lines? i feel like ive heard of those before...

nice buckets dank

J

Jalisco Kid

No/yes They can clean themselves but you must start it, or some automated program. I know of no airstones that are self cleaning.JK
You should have copied or bought my gm 1000's

dankworth

dankworth

No/yes They can clean themselves but you must start it, or some automated program. I know of no airstones that are self cleaning.JK
You should have copied or bought my gm 1000's
Health has been holding me back for a bit. Can't copy your design very closely due to circumstances.
I would buy your system if I could afford it, it is the best I have seen.
I think I might just buy airstones from the local department store and run those.
Thanks for the input about those air lines.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Glad to see this thread back, hope to apply some of the information i am going to get here.

J

Jalisco Kid

Health has been holding me back for a bit. Can't copy your design very closely due to circumstances.
I would buy your system if I could afford it, it is the best I have seen.
I think I might just buy airstones from the local department store and run those.
Thanks for the input about those air lines.
I would get that airline if you can. JK

101 Runner

101 Runner

Recirculation Shallow Water Culture..top drip hydro rings into 7gal black buckets..25gal of water=simple to use all the benefits less work. The hydro store in reno has a sick system with 2" vinyl return lines. Check it.

dankworth

dankworth

Recirculation Shallow Water Culture..top drip hydro rings into 7gal black buckets..25gal of water=simple to use all the benefits less work. The hydro store in reno has a sick system with 2" vinyl return lines. Check it.

So much more fun to build a unit yourself, haha.

Top Bottom