Buckets or Grow bags??

• Thread starter SmokesalotofVT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Again, I use a "huge" bag.
Roots go to the edges but never root bound even after 14 weeks.
And these bags are made for taters!
I usually see roots poking out and later being air pruned. That 99 day Malawi was so thick that I had to try and get into the roots..Fail..

Glassdub

Glassdub

Again, I use a "huge" bag.
Roots go to the edges but never root bound even after 14 weeks.
And these bags are made for taters!
I'll never get over the ease of buckets & that the price of potatoes, single use is not in my budget.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Got to agree I've noticed the roots are growing like crazy in them!

Using a shish kabob to see how moist they are down to the bottom it's already hard to push it through the new roots
@Beachwalker
SOB..Now I have to go and buy Shish Kabob Skewers! 🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂

Glassdub

Glassdub

Due to the low price I got a pack of iPower 10-Gallon from Walmart, in retrospect I hope black is ok, I will only be using inside so I hopefully think they will not heat up too bad.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

For a few $$ more..even Hongvilles are thicker.
Yep..I tossed the Ipowers after 1 use only..

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Less, US $12.49 PP a 5 pack on eBay from Hongville, ah well...
There's always another day..There are lots of others on ebay as well..you just have to watch for crummy seller feedbacks etc.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Yeah, this was Hongville direct (& in US) plenty of feedback, after looking at a good # of 5 gal grow diaries I think 10 gal might be overkill, only growing LSD-25, first run with is pretty small strain so I'm not sure.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yeah, this was Hongville direct (& in US) plenty of feedback, after looking at a good # of 5 gal grow diaries I think 10 gal might be overkill, only growing LSD-25, first run with is pretty small strain so I'm not sure.
I would tend to agree..
Since the cloth pots will air prune the roots as they grow thru..the plants should not become rootbound. The roots become so thick in mine that a water probe becomes hard to punch in late in flower.

I think that 10's are a bit large, but if you have the room..bigger roots = bigger fruits.
I started with 5 gallon cloth pots (actually they are 5 gallon equivalent)..
I I only use THREE gallon pots now.
This plant was over 4 ft tall in a 3 gallon cloth pot! 😝

Yep..bath tub grow in a spare tub! LMAO

4 13 19 1

Glassdub

Glassdub

I assume JERIAs are pretty thin, I can get 12 5 gal from Amazon for $19, those 10 Gals are huge (wide) I may end up using them for Summer Squash if I can keep them from baking in the sun, the quality/thickness isn't too bad IMO.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I assume JERIAs are pretty thin, I can get 12 5 gal from Amazon for $19, those 10 Gals are huge (wide) I may end up using them for Summer Squash if I can keep them from baking in the sun, the quality/thickness isn't too bad IMO.
For outdoors..I say anything except black! If you have to, you can wrap a carpet scrap around the bag to try and keep it cooler.

Glassdub

Glassdub

For outdoors..I say anything except black! If you have to, you can wrap a carpet scrap around the bag to try and keep it cooler.
I can't see using the 10's inside for anything, too large (wide), I only have a 3'x5' tent, they are a nice size for squash & my yard is small (urban garden) so it frees up soil space for other things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom