Bud Back Building - Real Or Myth?

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

Not taking sides, pointing fingers, or judging who's in the right or wrong. Why can't we just keep the open dialogue civil without the name calling and slander. There's a ton of very educated and experienced growers on the farm. All of whom have different experiences and techniques to share and discuss. I started this thread as an observation I had from something I tried out of curiosity. I thought it would be great to hear from the experience pool and hear some different opinions or experiences with this technique along with sharing my own personal experience. It's healthier and I believe we learn more when not everyone is agreeable on every subject. Devils advocate is great for inspiring an in-depth analysis of said topic. It wasn't meant to draw a divide between members. At the very least, respectfully agree to disagree. I'm pretty certain there have been things that have worked for some but not others. And it doesn't validate or discredit, it just is what it is.

After all, we're all like minded and share a common passion for growing.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
May be Mimedgrower is right that it just changes the shape of the bud,not the amount......Untopped bud could just grow taller?:)Is this method changing something in the amount generally?I def see the difference in the shape,topped buds are obviously more rounded.I think if you top the bud you top the hole branch?may be the other buds on the same branch also responded,get fatter or something?Also would you try that on auto,looks really light topping,could be helpful in some way?

I've nipped the odd bud top over the years and it does work to make buds fatter, no doubt. But it doesnt increase the yield or quality so I dont see the point. If anything it just makes the bud more prone to budrot and mold by creating a wound and then creating a very dense cluster unnecessarily.

It works in the same principal as topping a plant and causing it to grow more lateral growth by removing the auxin production site at the tip of the buds forcing the growing flower to produce more calyxs on axillary bracts instead of from the top. It's a novelty, like growing a square tomato.

Ina

Ina

I was also wondering do you do that on every branch(bud by bud haha) or just the very top of the plant?If you do it only on the top would the other side branches respond somehow like with the topping?It is interesting,not something necessary to do but still I would try it just for fun and to see for myself:)May be indoors so I can monitor everything.
If anything it just makes the bud more prone to budrot and mold
These are my concerns because I can grow only outdoors,guerilla style(unfortunately)and I didn't try for that reason.I was asking about the auto because I have them flowering in mid summer when it is dry enough to try.At least I guess it wont hurt the yield,the auto will be fully developed by the time of that "topping"......

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

youre delusional
this is my last outdoors
youre
real funny dirtbag

View attachment 867328

You posted that you are on your second grow and you mainlined your first.

Why start posting pics off the internet and call us names?

And i have been on all the major weed forums. The best and the most knowlegable growers that post online are here.

H

Hdinkleman

I've nipped the odd bud top over the years and it does work to make buds fatter, no doubt. But it doesnt increase the yield or quality so I dont see the point. If anything it just makes the bud more prone to budrot and mold by creating a wound and then creating a very dense cluster unnecessarily.

It works in the same principal as topping a plant and causing it to grow more lateral growth by removing the auxin production site at the tip of the buds forcing the growing flower to produce more calyxs on axillary bracts instead of from the top. It's a novelty, like growing a square tomato.

wtf thats what i said earlier post word for word.
it doesnt do nuthin special just makes the bud fatter same as square tomato
i snipped two colas just to take pictures
its a novelty and stupid in the long run kinda like mainling/manifolding

H

Hdinkleman

You posted that you are on your second grow and you mainlined your first.

Why start posting pics off the internet and call us names?

And i have been on all the major weed forums. The best and the most knowlegable growers that post online are here.
indoor grows not outdoors

Phylex

Phylex

I was also wondering do you do that on every branch(bud by bud haha) or just the very top of the plant?If you do it only on the top would the other side branches respond somehow like with the topping?It is interesting,not something necessary to do but still I would try it just for fun and to see for myself:)May be indoors so I can monitor everything.

These are my concerns because I can grow only outdoors,guerilla style(unfortunately)and I didn't try for that reason.I was asking about the auto because I have them flowering in mid summer when it is dry enough to try.At least I guess it wont hurt the yield,the auto will be fully developed by the time of that "topping"......
It's bud site specific.

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Good day to all. I too have tried this on both indica and sativa (even hybrids) and the theory does indeed have merit in the following way.....

Since we all know how flowers develop on a nug by nug basis (including the smaller stems which makes up these clusters or nug) I won't bother with that description.

A great description is this causes nug by nug controlled foxtailing......in that, soon after snipping the very top of a nug's growth - every nug cluster begins this upward and outward growth with the snipped top staying at it's height......the snipped nug does INDEED grow outward.....

I take most strains out to 10-11 weeks.....I have noted the experience is best when you snip at 5.5 weeks (on an 11 weeker) or at 5 weeks (on a true 70 day -10 weeker) BUT ONLY as long as each nug snipped has a good amount of bulk to it already.

I have snipped as late as 8 weeks on an 11 weeker and it seemed to not have made AS MUCH as an outward foxtailing effect as when done at 5.5 weeks on an 11 weeker. The difference is clear......

Since we have soooooo many growers out there-just try it on 1 plant and hell, maybe even do it on a third or half the nugs on that one plant and see what you think ? I have NOT experienced herming due to this method at all......

I have experienced a SERIOUS STUNTING on a Cannaventure Tennessee Kush #1 that was an 11 weeker and I snipped BEFORE the nugs had a nice bulk to them (at maybe 4 weeks) and the result was PATHETIC......upon harvest I named the plant Shasp.......as in "She Has A Good Personality".....it looked like an undergrown Auto......

I'm Byrne Burnham and I approve of this message.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Good day to all. I too have tried this on both indica and sativa (even hybrids) and the theory does indeed have merit in the following way.....

Since we all know how flowers develop on a nug by nug basis (including the smaller stems which makes up these clusters or nug) I won't bother with that description.

A great description is this causes nug by nug controlled foxtailing......in that, soon after snipping the very top of a nug's growth - every nug cluster begins this upward and outward growth with the snipped top staying at it's height......the snipped nug does INDEED grow outward.....

I take most strains out to 10-11 weeks.....I have noted the experience is best when you snip at 5.5 weeks (on an 11 weeker) or at 5 weeks (on a true 70 day -10 weeker) BUT ONLY as long as each nug snipped has a good amount of bulk to it already.

I have snipped as late as 8 weeks on an 11 weeker and it seemed to not have made AS MUCH as an outward foxtailing effect as when done at 5.5 weeks on an 11 weeker. The difference is clear......

Since we have soooooo many growers out there-just try it on 1 plant and hell, maybe even do it on a third or half the nugs on that one plant and see what you think ? I have NOT experienced herming due to this method at all......

I have experienced a SERIOUS STUNTING on a Cannaventure Tennessee Kush #1 that was an 11 weeker and I snipped BEFORE the nugs had a nice bulk to them (at maybe 4 weeks) and the result was PATHETIC......upon harvest I named the plant Shasp.......as in "She Has A Good Personality".....it looked like an undergrown Auto......

I'm Byrne Burnham and I approve of this message.

What is the advantage? And do you have pics?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Bro science at its finest. Would love to see the quality y'all on growing doing this. Could it just be the swell? Lol

H

Hdinkleman

going to take a couple more pics, the biggest colas in the picture were back built.
there are three of them on the plant
whoever says this is bro science is funny

0C996036 928B 469B 9A23 B52B31768585
2737A2DD 3177 41F0 B4CC 3C2DFE7BAB2B

H

Hdinkleman

its hard to tell but there is definitely outward foxtailing going on on the 3 back built buds as opposed to the normal stacking tipped cola on the un back built buds.
i snipped the tops right around the middle of week 5.
you want to snip just a touch off of the top calyx of the cola when the bud is done with its main vertical growth and starts plumping up.
i personally dont think it increases anything yield wise, and honestly prob is a PITA because now will have a couple thicker buds to dry unevenly, but its cool to try.
will i do it again? prob not, but it does work.
if you got some kind of fat bud fetish it will take care of that need lmao

Latest posts

Top Bottom