Bud-development slowed down past week

• Thread starter Ripen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ripen

Ripen

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, hoping to get some advice / critical feedback. Any input at all is appreciated!

My plant has been growing fairly well the first few weeks of flower, but the last week she's been slowing down. Buds are growing tall and skinny, and new leaves look a bit curled/stressed. I've raised my growlight a couple inches to give them some rest.

Day 23 of flower
Light: 600w HPS 25-30DLI
Feed input: AN 600ppm ph 6.3
Feed runoff: 500ppm, ph 5.8
RH: ~60%
Temp: 18-24C at the floor, exhaust normally measures 24C with lights on.
Fan: 15minutes every hour, plus USB-fan for slow and constant circulation at the floor pointed at the thermometer.
Water: They're both drinking 2.5L pr day, I'm giving them 3.5L each.

I'm not very worried, just hoping to improve my bud-development. The goal is allways those fat, beautiful, dense buds that many of you are growing.
As I understand it the next few weeks they will (hopefully) fatten up? Seems like the most important phase to me, I really don't wanna be stressing them now.

Like I said, any advice is appreciated✌
I have AC, lowering the temps is an option.
I'm considering giving less N, they look a bit shiny. Hard to see in the photos, sorry, they're the best I could do. Thoughts?

Bud development slowed down past week
Bud development slowed down past week 2
Bud development slowed down past week 3
Bud development slowed down past week 4
20230608 055946
Ripen

Ripen

Ripen,

The plants look great. Well done. Don’t forget cannabis is an annual plant. It will begin to senesce as flowering progresses. Especially if the flowers don’t get pollinated. The plant is slowly dying. It’s supposed to at this point in it’s life cycle.

Zill.
Thank you, Zill.
They have grown slightly since posting this thread and the stress(which doesn't really come across in the pictures) seems to be getting better. Lowered my lamp back down today, now at max 28DLI(was 25).
We're currently struggling with unusual heat in my country, now 26C daytime. AC is running, compensated with better humidifier.

The leaves only have single leaflets coming out of the buds. I wonder if it's revegging?
I Would be surprised, is that possible even with full darkness at night? I've checked my tent properly. i was wondering about those leaves too though, it doesn't look too sexy.

Edit: damnit I forgot about the ventilation tube I added on the intake, it's reflective on the inside. Maybe you're on to something, I'll buy a new one.

Thanks for your input, both!
I just spotted a banana btw, in case that's relevant.

Last edited:
Ripen

Ripen

I was going to warn you about bananas, it’s not just non-compliant lighting that’ll cause them. Something is stressing your plants and I’m guessing it may be your DLI. Maybe someone else can confirm my guess.
Do I get rid of it?
Edit: I cut off a chunk of the bud after reading they pollinate the plant. Since it was only the one I'm hoping for a miracle, I'm gonna cry if this goes south.
One of the best weeds I ever smoked was actually a hermie, there is still hope..

Last edited:
Mothman

Mothman

Do I get rid of it?
Edit: I cut off a chunk of the bud after reading they pollinate the plant. Since it was only the one I'm hoping for a miracle, I'm gonna cry if this goes south.
One of the best weeds I ever smoked was actually a hermie, there is still hope..
You have all the signs of revegging: slowed bud growth, leaves with few fingers, nanners. It’s not a death sentence, but you’ll need to adjust your plans by a lot. It threw me about six weeks behind plan. And decide soon if you mind getting seeded weed. Meantime, sequester the imposter! Remove it from the rest, with fans off.

Ripen

Ripen

You have all the signs of revegging: slowed bud growth, leaves with few fingers, nanners. It’s not a death sentence, but you’ll need to adjust your plans by a lot. It threw me about six weeks behind plan. And decide soon if you mind getting seeded weed. Meantime, sequester the imposter! Remove it from the rest, with fans off.
Remove it, do you mean the whole plant or just the banana? I only have 2 plants, so it's all or nothing at this point. Would rather start over than keeping 1 for 50 more days.

And will the buds keep developing(size), or does it stop here?
Thanks for your answers, you've been very helpful.

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Have you had any of the dark cycles interrupted with light?

I gotta say they look very good to me. 4 weeks into flowering? Flowering isn't linear, quite often "blooming" can come in waves, it pauses, picks up again.......

If you want to start backing off a bit on the N, ok, certainly don't overfeed or overwater, but unless there was darkness interruption or some other problem, I think things are just fine.

Also, what's the variety? Auto or photo?

Ripen

Ripen

Have you had any of the dark cycles interrupted with light?

I gotta say they look very good to me. 4 weeks into flowering? Flowering isn't linear, quite often "blooming" can come in waves, it pauses, picks up again.......

If you want to start backing off a bit on the N, ok, certainly don't overfeed or overwater, but unless there was darkness interruption or some other problem, I think things are just fine.

Also, what's the variety? Auto or photo?
Did you read the stuff about banana? Your post was very comforting to a distressed heart, I hope you're right!

They are photos, Gelato and Green Crack, roughly 9 weeks veg.
No interruptions of dark cycle, apart from the reflective inside of ventilationtube. Not sure what effect that has had, but it has now been fixed.

I started reducing N yesterday, by a little.

Have you seen bananas without consequences before? The internet makes it seem like a big deal, many suggest to remove the plant immediately.

It might be worth mentioning, I switched light-schedule a bit while trying to make them flower. Took almost 3 weeks before they flipped. Started with 12/12 and switched to 10/14, and then back to 12/12 after flipping.

Last edited:
Mothman

Mothman

Remove it, do you mean the whole plant or just the banana? I only have 2 plants, so it's all or nothing at this point. Would rather start over than keeping 1 for 50 more days.

And will the buds keep developing(size), or does it stop here?
Thanks for your answers, you've been very helpful.
You have options. Since your other might herm, too, and since you only have two, can you afford to let them finish and possibly have a seedy result after curing?

Or maybe harvest earlier than normal to get ahead of seed development? (That was the option I chose. I searched my 3 plants for nanners almost daily for weeks, plucking what I found and letting them all live together since they were probably already pollinated.)

Another option is cut your losses and axe the plant. I’d wait to see if another nanner appears before chopping, though. Maybe it’s one and done.

Last edited:
Ripen

Ripen

You have options. Since your other might herm, too, and since you only have two, can you afford to let them finish and possibly have a seedy result after curing?

Or maybe harvest earlier than normal to get ahead of seed development? (That was the option I chose. I searched my 3 plants for nanners almost daily for weeks, plucking what I found and letting them all live together since they were probably already pollinated.)

Another option is cut your losses and axe the plant. I’d wait to see if another nanner appears before chopping, though. Maybe it’s one and done.
Yup, deffinitely option 1 with option 2 as a possible outcome. Since I'm at day 24 or whatever I reckon it's gonna get pretty bad, time will tell.

I forgot that my humidifier has bright LEDs on it.. I tried having it on at night last week, just once. I'm guessing that's the culprit. I'm buying a normal humidifier ASAP.

Thanks again.

Sobo mist maker 628720 1200x1200
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Yup, deffinitely option 1 with option 2 as a possible outcome. Since I'm at day 24 or whatever I reckon it's gonna get pretty bad, time will tell.

I forgot that my humidifier has bright LEDs on it.. I tried having it on at night last week, just once. I'm guessing that's the culprit. I'm buying a normal humidifier ASAP.

Thanks again.
So, get electrical tape, cover the leds up. Do a test to make sure they are covered before putting back, power strips, these can cause issues too, ac infinity/sf digital fan speed controllers need to be set on sleep,they are bright if not. extension cords, make sure it doesn’t light up when plugged in (some have a red light showing connection) use tape to cover, and finally, tent zippers, yeah they say they don’t leak, but surprise! They leak pretty hard. So, get you some black contractors plastic to drape over the tent. None of these may be your issue, but all of these could be at some point. Revegging so far into flower is a bummer homie. Hope this helps.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Did you read the stuff about banana? Your post was very comforting to a distressed heart, I hope you're right!

No interruptions of dark cycle, apart from the reflective inside of ventilationtube. Not sure what effect that has had, but it has now been fixed.

Have you seen bananas without consequences before? The internet makes it seem like a big deal, many suggest to remove the plant immediately.

It might be worth mentioning, I switched light-schedule a bit while trying to make them flower. Took almost 3 weeks before they flipped. Started with 12/12 and switched to 10/14, and then back to 12/12 after flipping.
You do know they're not actual bananas, right? ;)

Yeah for whatever reason, if it's just 1 stray male flower........always search for more, I mean, if it opened and released pollen and you had a fan blowing right on it, you'll get stray seeds. If there's no breeze, it might just drop a little pollen on the bud it's in and make that bud a little seeded. Is it going to ruin everything? No. Of couse, if all you had was 1 small plant and that's it, then you don't want 20 seeds let alone 50. But 1 individual male flower isn't going to ruin a crop. Just consider not using the resulting seeds. They may be feminized but they may be hermaphrodites and make resulting generations worse. So inspect your plants from time to time, you'll know how to spot them, get a small sharp scissor and nip them in the bud.........get it?? ;). But yeah, get it early and throw it in the garbage. Even dried, unopened male flowers can have active pollen inside them.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

I've seen plants that people say was not hit with light pollution during the dark phase that had way more leaves all over the buds than your plants. If over the next 5, 10 days, predominantly leaves start growing all over but hardly any flowers, ok, yeah, you may have had the dark cycle interrupted. But if flowering picks up and things look relatively normal, you should be fine. If you had a one-off, where one dark cycle you accidentally flicked a light on, there's ways to help yourself out......extend the immediate dark cycle by 12 hours from the moment of your mistake. But if you've had light leak for many nights/dark cycles and it truly caused the plants to go into that veg/flower limbo, you'll have to deal with the problem and it will take a while to reset. Even still you may not have the best harvest.

I also wouldn't change your flowering cycle hours. They like consistency. 12/12 is all you need from beginning to end. You could probably do 13 on/11 off for almost all varieties but that's about it. Maybe near the end you do less light, like 10/14, maybe it helps them ripen, but don't go back and forth. In the outdoors, in the northern hemisphere, plants get more light time in June than August, and even less as September becomes October.

Last edited:
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I've seen plants that people say was not hit with light pollution during the dark phase that had way more leaves all over the buds than your plants. If over the next 5, 10 days, predominantly leaves start growing all over but hardly any flowers, ok, yeah, you may have had the dark cycle interrupted. But if flowering picks up and things look relatively normal, you should be fine. If you had a one-off, where one dark cycle you accidentally flicked a light on, there's ways to help yourself out......extend the immediate dark cycle by 12 hours from the moment of your mistake. But if you've had light leak for many nights/dark cycles and it truly caused the plants to go into that veg/flower limbo, you'll have to deal with the problem and it will take a while to reset. Even still you may not have the best harvest.
Extend the immediate dark cycle by 12 hours from the moment of your mistake. Damn, that’s a pretty logical, ninja move. That there is sage advice.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Extend the immediate dark cycle by 12 hours from the moment of your mistake. Damn, that’s a pretty logical, ninja move. That there is sage advice.
I've done it. Of course, I don't know if the mistakes I made would have messed them up to begin with, but it might give you the best shot at correcting things. Then you can go back to your regular schedule.......plants measure dark length for flowering so it's that 12 hours you want to nail down. (I know you know that ;) )

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I've done it. Of course, I don't know if the mistakes I made would have messed them up to begin with, but it might give you the best shot at correcting things. Then you can go back to your regular schedule.......plants measure dark length for flowering so it's that 12 hours you want to nail down. (I know you know that ;) )
That’s wonderful advice brother, legit, that went in the ol filing cabinet.

Top Bottom