Bud-development slowed down past week

• Thread starter Ripen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ripen

Ripen

A little update.
Haven't seen another banana so far! Just the one that I removed.
The buds kept slowly developing and are doing OK I guess. Seeing some foxtailing unfortunately, I'm hoping that corrects itself during the later stages.

I'm now at day 28 or so, and many of the trichomes are already looking cloudy, I'd say 50/50. Seems early, is that normal or a bad sign? Would you say the trich's in the pics are cloudy?

Temps these days are still 27-28C in the tent due to hot days. RH: 60-75%, I'm trying to keep it in the lower end because growth has been very slow above 70%.

Your input helped me through the last week, I really appreciate all the advice.

20230618 212514
20230618 212556
20230618 212738
20230618 212758
20230618 212824
20230618 214058
20230618 213906

Mothman

Mothman

A little update.
Haven't seen another banana so far! Just the one that I removed.
The buds kept slowly developing and are doing OK I guess. Seeing some foxtailing unfortunately, I'm hoping that corrects itself during the later stages.

I'm now at day 28 or so, and many of the trichomes are already looking cloudy, I'd say 50/50. Seems early, is that normal or a bad sign? Would you say the trich's in the pics are cloudy?

Temps these days are still 27-28C in the tent due to hot days. RH: 60-75%, I'm trying to keep it in the lower end because growth has been very slow above 70%.

Your input helped me through the last week, I really appreciate all the advice.

View attachment 1995538View attachment 1995539View attachment 1995540View attachment 1995541View attachment 1995543View attachment 1995544View attachment 1995546
Congrats on the lack of bananas. They look really good to me.

I’m seeing some cloudy and a lot of clear. That plus the plant’s age and the abundance of pistils all correlate.

Regarding the temps and RH, are you able to get close to what the VPD chart recommends?

B

Bdubs

I found 10 banana spots and I trashed it, in my recent run of cuttings. The plant next to it that was “fine” I found a set of balls that had opened and 3 nodes below it that were sprouting bananas. I clipped the node off completely to the stem. 2 hours of searching every inch and all was good. 2 weeks later zero herm anywhere. It’s a common thing and it is caused by those stresses. Once it’s all nailed down and we lose a few plants…or more if you like to push limits (fuck around and find out) like me, that’s when we start mixing nutes/watering blindfolded and don’t go in the room for days.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I found 10 banana spots and I trashed it, in my recent run of cuttings. The plant next to it that was “fine” I found a set of balls that had opened and 3 nodes below it that were sprouting bananas. I clipped the node off completely to the stem. 2 hours of searching every inch and all was good. 2 weeks later zero herm anywhere. It’s a common thing and it is caused by those stresses. Once it’s all nailed down and we lose a few plants…or more if you like to push limits (fuck around and find out) like me, that’s when we start mixing nutes/watering blindfolded and don’t go in the room for days.
That’s all I ever do homie. I fuck around and find out. I’m that dude if you say something can’t be done, I’m kinda gonna find a way to do it, right now I’m experimenting with 8 clones in a 20 gallon tote together, and 6 in a 5 gallon pot. They are absolutely killing it. It gives people heartburn for some reason.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter

IMG 7047
Ripen

Ripen

Congrats on the lack of bananas. They look really good to me.

I’m seeing some cloudy and a lot of clear. That plus the plant’s age and the abundance of pistils all correlate.

Regarding the temps and RH, are you able to get close to what the VPD chart recommends?
Thank you and thank you!
For some reason I struggle with separating cloudy from clear trichs.. your input helps alot.

Vpdchart recommends humidity at ~70% with these temps, I did have 70% for 3-4 days but they didn't grow a millimeter. I then lowered it to 55-60 and they started growing again.

@Captspaulding I can relate!

Pilted

Pilted

You said it's the best weed you every smoked, you said you have bananas, seems the reason it got the bananas could be the vent hole was giving light in dark cycle, I only read a little of this, but I have read plants that have that produce the bananas and pollinate themselves the seed will be feminized ( someone correct me if I am wrong) . Sounds like to me you have a good opportunity. Lots of female seeds from the best bud you ever smoked. Me personally I would be trying to expand on that.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
You said it's the best weed you every smoked, you said you have bananas, seems the reason it got the bananas could be the vent hole was giving light in dark cycle, I only read a little of this, but I have read plants that have that produce the bananas and pollinate themselves the seed will be feminized ( someone correct me if I am wrong) . Sounds like to me you have a good opportunity. Lots of female seeds from the best bud you ever smoked. Me personally I would be trying to expand on that.
Now it’s his job to stabilize the genetics though. Asexuality can be a blessing, but it really depends on what the circumstances where to cause it. so isolate the cause, ensure it doesn’t happen again for a grow or two. Then make more.

B

Bdubs

Thank you and thank you!
For some reason I struggle with separating cloudy from clear trichs.. your input helps alot.

Vpdchart recommends humidity at ~70% with these temps, I did have 70% for 3-4 days but they didn't grow a millimeter. I then lowered it to 55-60 and they started growing again.

@Captspaulding I can relate!
That’s legit. The only thing you have to worry about when creeping in the 70RH zone is mold. That is the beginning of when mold thrives.

B

Bdubs

That’s legit. The only thing you have to worry about when creeping in the 70RH zone is mold. That is the beginning of when mold thrives.
This is why I like to run 50-55 or 55-60 in the 80 zone. Keeps it low but touching 2.00 VPD at peak before the lights out and temps drop. Humidity will always rise as temps fall, this is when dehumidifiers work their butts off.

Ripen

Ripen

I said the best weed I smoked was a hermie, I haven't smoked this one yet, it's too young. I don't think I'm gonna bother with the seeds, I'm just hoping the bud turns out allright. Seems like it isn't a hermie, at least not yet.
I thought hermies produced hermie-seeds.

Pilted

Pilted

I said the best weed I smoked was a hermie, I haven't smoked this one yet, it's too young. I'm don't think I'm gonna bother with the seeds, I'm just hoping the bud turns out allright. Seems like it isn't a hermie, at least not yet.
I am no expert but I read an indepth on how seed banks produce the feminized seeds, and its the bananas that make this happen, a regular Hermie has both male sacks and female calics. Those do not produce feminized seeds and are the common type of Hermie's, the bananas is what makes it feminized.

Plus if it's your own personal smoke what's a few seeds, when I was a young man all the weed had seeds, it's not that big a deal.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I said the best weed I smoked was a hermie, I haven't smoked this one yet, it's too young. I don't think I'm gonna bother with the seeds, I'm just hoping the bud turns out allright. Seems like it isn't a hermie, at least not yet.
They do, and don’t. It depends on what caused it, if it was bred in on purpose or not. Feminized seeds are feminized, bc they come from females. So nature finds a way. With fems you always run the risk of running into herms. It’s your job to stabilize the environment to not cause it.

Ripen

Ripen

A little update, day 32 of flower.
They're still developing, looking really fluffy though. Temps have been quite high, 28C at most.

Are these what you would call foxtails, or do they need to be even longer and thinner? I never really liked the look of these kinds of buds, I want them compact like golf balls.

The fluffyness doesn't come across well in any of the pictures I take, but there are pockets of air everywhere between the "tails", if that makes sense.

The last pic is from the other plant, they look more dense.

Oh btw, they're drinking much less water and eating less nutrients. Is that normal at this stage? Bit early, no?
20230622 190527
20230622 190547
20230622 190611

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
A little update, day 32 of flower.
They're still developing, looking really fluffy though. Temps have been quite high, 28C at most.

Are these what you would call foxtails, or do they need to be even longer and thinner? I never really liked the look of these kinds of buds, I want them compact like golf balls.

The fluffyness doesn't come across well in any of the pictures I take, but there are pockets of air everywhere between the "tails", if that makes sense.

The last pic is from the other plant, they look more dense.

Oh btw, they're drinking much less water and eating less nutrients. Is that normal at this stage? Bit early, no?
View attachment 1997475View attachment 1997476View attachment 1997477
Indeed, early for sure, but on point. Looks great.

Ripen

Ripen

Indeed, early for sure, but on point. Looks great.
Thanks. Am I looking at an early harvest you think?

I'm thankful I haven't had any nutrientproblems yet.
Next grow I'm planning on doing a journal(hydro), comparing AN with another brand. Open to suggestions, haven't bought any nutrients yet(I just have enough AN for one plant).

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I really can’t say one way or the other, just judging from the pistils I would say you have a 4-5 more weeks at least, you have some real nice plants though.

Ripen

Ripen

I really can’t say one way or the other, just judging from the pistils I would say you have a 4-5 more weeks at least, you have some real nice plants though.
Thanks mate, I appreciate your kind words and input.

If anyone have thoughts on which nutrients I should run side-by-side with AN, let me know. I'm thinking Canna.
I hope it will make an interesting grow journal.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Thanks mate, I appreciate your kind words and input.

If anyone have thoughts on which nutrients I should run side-by-side with AN, let me know. I'm thinking Canna.
I hope it will make an interesting grow journal.
I was just reading up on them last night actually, their line looks great, it’s cost effective and the multiple forums I looked at, I seen some really impressive flowers. I’m really considering making the change once I run out of my current stock, heard good things from a couple of good people on here too. I usually like to take the word of some good growers rather than a forum anyday, so if you do go with them, I’ll be checking you out. Keep a homie posted.

Ripen

Ripen

Final update, I had just 2 weeks left and I F'ed up. We had an unusually hot summer this year, with extreme humidity, I've been working my ass off to control my growroom.
I had a few buds rot, 3-4 were thrown away, the rest smells like shit.. I'm currently looking into watercuring, if anybody has tried it please let me know! I'm not quite sure what to do atm.
20230708 225207

Top Bottom