Bud wash ingredient measurements question

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
So about to chop down 2 plants and need to do a bud wash, had some PM during the run,

Say I will be mixing 2.5 gallons of water in each bucket. I wanted to do a peroxide wash, and possibly a baking soda, lemon juice dip as well

I can tfind exact measurements for the mixes anywhere anybody know off the top of their head?

TSD

TSD

This year I just did a peroxide wash, one peroxide bucket and clean water. I used one cup of 3% peroxide solution per 5 gallons of water plus an air bubbler. Here's a video of.how Jorge is does it, and he's pretty much a weed guru.

Z

Zill

TSD,
Howdy.

Was the H2O2 added to circulating hydroponic water or sprayed on the buds?

I can see adding that oxidant to feed water. Especially to keep in check those motile fungal spores and bacteria. Make sure it ends up at a high enough concentration to do anything. It has a very short half life.

But I see no benefit adding water or H2O2 back to a bud when one is about to begin the dry phase. You canā€™t add enough H2O2 to whatever you use to wet the buds with to be of any benefit. Consider, if I had a smooth surface covered with fungal spores a 5% H2O2 solution would need to fully wet that area and stay wet for several minutes to have any biocidal activity. Youā€™re not doing that misting buds with a 3 or 5% bottle of H2O2 from CVS.

Zill.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So about to chop down 2 plants and need to do a bud wash, had some PM during the run,

Say I will be mixing 2.5 gallons of water in each bucket. I wanted to do a peroxide wash, and possibly a baking soda, lemon juice dip as well

I can tfind exact measurements for the mixes anywhere anybody know off the top of their head?
I use 3 - 5 gallon buckets, 500ml/ 1 pint peroxide in the 1st bucket, second bucket 1 plastic squeeze lemon & 1 cup baking soda with water that's just a bit warmer than the 1st and 3rd buckets.....3rd bucket cold water.......dip and swish in each bucket shaking off lose water between buckets.... gently is the word here or you can knock off trich heads.......hang to dry with a fan for the first 2 hours osculating across the hanging buds......after a couple of hours check to be sure all the water has dried off then dry as normal with the fan moving air but not on the buds

Z

Zill

Pipe man,
What does bud washing achieve? Are you disinfecting prior to initial drying to reduce fungal blooms? Have you ever seen mildew, mold on your plants after being rinsed?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Pipe man,
What does bud washing achieve? Are you disinfecting prior to initial drying to reduce fungal blooms? Have you ever seen mildew, mold on your plants after being rinsed?
it gets rid of bug shit, cat hair, dust, and other debris in your weed. Have you ever smoked a joint that goes snap crackle pop? bug skeletons , and other crap. When washing you'll need a strainer to clean the debris floating on the surface. collect it and look at what you've washed off.......it may make you puke realizing what you could have been smoking or have been smoking...

Z

Zill

I guess. Never looked at the plant as such repository of junk. Have you considered that by spraying a strong oxidant, H2O2, on the buds you could also be inadvertently oxidizing the cannabinoids, flavonoids and aromatic terrines?

Zill.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I guess. Never looked at the plant as such repository of junk. Have you considered that by spraying a strong oxidant, H2O2, on the buds you could also be inadvertently oxidizing the cannabinoids, flavonoids and aromatic terrines?

Zill.
I'll refer you to the guru Jorge above, he's the guy I got it from......he can explain better than I and has his credibility behind him.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I use 3 - 5 gallon buckets, 500ml/ 1 pint peroxide in the 1st bucket, second bucket 1 plastic squeeze lemon & 1 cup baking soda with water that's just a bit warmer than the 1st and 3rd buckets.....3rd bucket cold water.......dip and swish in each bucket shaking off lose water between buckets.... gently is the word here or you can knock off trich heads.......hang to dry with a fan for the first 2 hours osculating across the hanging buds......after a couple of hours check to be sure all the water has dried off then dry as normal with the fan moving air but not on the buds
That is exactly what I did, same exact setup, just finished 2 plants, hanging with the fan blowing across them, in another hour Iā€™ll move the fan

Pipe man,
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing it for, I did see PM and had a fair amount of gnats in there during flower, did a wet trim, did the 3 bucket dip, and now drying, wanted to make sure I got the PM before drying and curing

Pics are post wash, trichs heads are unphased, yes I pulled the plant a bit early once I saw the PM as late in flower as she was I didnā€™t wanna risk her any farther and lose her all together

F31304E9 C5B9 4101 B5AA 76CD4E0D088D
D16AA5C7 BD5A 4D08 823A D5F6869777B6
51149ECE 13A4 4389 83E4 A1F4CAF34C87
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That is exactly what I did, same exact setup, just finished 2 plants, hanging with the fan blowing across them, in another hour Iā€™ll move the fan

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing it for, I did see PM and had a fair amount of gnats in there during flower, did a wet trim, did the 3 bucket dip, and now drying, wanted to make sure I got the PM before drying and curing

Pics are post wash, trichs heads are unphased, yes I pulled the plant a bit early once I saw the PM as late in flower as she was I didnā€™t wanna risk her any farther and lose her all together
Those buckets look pretty clean, I've had a lot more after just a few branches ( 3 cats and a dusty basement).....It will smoke smoother than if you had not washed them.

TSD

TSD

TSD,
Howdy.

Was the H2O2 added to circulating hydroponic water or sprayed on the buds?

I can see adding that oxidant to feed water. Especially to keep in check those motile fungal spores and bacteria. Make sure it ends up at a high enough concentration to do anything. It has a very short half life.

But I see no benefit adding water or H2O2 back to a bud when one is about to begin the dry phase. You canā€™t add enough H2O2 to whatever you use to wet the buds with to be of any benefit. Consider, if I had a smooth surface covered with fungal spores a 5% H2O2 solution would need to fully wet that area and stay wet for several minutes to have any biocidal activity. Youā€™re not doing that misting buds with a 3 or 5% bottle of H2O2 from CVS.

Zill.
Correct. They get submerged in a tote with the bubbler, soaked, flipped, soaked, rinsed, rinsed again, dried with a fan, hung as usual. I have very bad seasonal allergies, and am allergic to pollen, dust and mold. I've had years before I knew bud washing was a thing, that I couldn't even smoke my harvest because I'd have a horrible allergy attack, sneezing, itchy watery eyes, not what you're going for when you want to chill and catch a buzz. I started washing one year because I had aphids set up shop. That year I did the baking soda and lemon in addition to the peroxide... that's supposed to shock bugs still there and make them let go... This year I busted my ass more and kept pests mostly at bay, I did have some late fall PM pop up in the undergrowth of my scrog, and just a few late critters on my last plant due to a warm fall and not spraying in late flower... so I opted to use Jorge Cervantes method and just used peroxide. I've not had a harvest I can't smoke since I started washing. It does cut down on your bag appeal slightly and you lose a few trichs, but that's negligible and the payoff is smoother, cleaner smoke. I've seen what I dump out... just consider, any partical passing by that sticky bud close enough is gonna get stuck, so will bugs even if you don't "have bugs" there will still be bugs in your wash, spiders, poo, dust, residue from any spraying, air pollution, pollen.
20221006 125802
20221006 135957
20221006 140911
20221006 135630
20221006 141942
20221027 175542
20221027 180235

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

This year I just did a peroxide wash, one peroxide bucket and clean water. I used one cup of 3% peroxide solution per 5 gallons of water plus an air bubbler. Here's a video of.how Jorge is does it, and he's pretty much a weed guru.
Why would you think he is a weed guru? There is nothing he ever wrote that wasn't covered by Frank's book decades prior nor did he dispute any of it. He attracts newbies. He endorsed seed companies in High Times and when they didn't send his response was seeds are illegal,perhaps you shouldn't have broken the law. Guru lol,that's a good one.

Z

Zill

TSD,

Impressive procedure. You canā€™t beat success like youā€™re showing. Your plant pics indoor or outdoor cultivation? No reason. Just curious.

Imagine that hypoallergenic cannabis. I was wondering about shearing off trichomes.

Zill.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Why would you think he is a weed guru? There is nothing he ever wrote that wasn't covered by Frank's book decades prior nor did he dispute any of it. He attracts newbies. He endorsed seed companies in High Times and when they didn't send his response was seeds are illegal,perhaps you shouldn't have broken the law. Guru lol,that's a good one.
He's been around for a long time, he may have learned from someone else but everyone does....He wrote books that millions have read and we're not all newbies. I don't know it all but I think when I've the same experiences he's had I'll know a lot more than I do now.....Write a book, sell a million copies then you'll have credibility like he has.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

He's been around for a long time, he may have learned from someone else but everyone does....He wrote books that millions have read and we're not all newbies. I don't know it all but I think when I've the same experiences he's had I'll know a lot more than I do now.....Write a book, sell a million copies then you'll have credibility like he has.
I'm not looking for credibility,there's lots of books on weed out there,his aren't the go to. You don't know anything about my growing skills anyway. You easy to offend lol,cool

TSD

TSD

So I've heard, I dunno man. I wash cause I like the results, just saying I used his method for it... I haven't read his books or any of that.

Top Bottom