Bud wash ingredient measurements question

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

TSD,

Impressive procedure. You can’t beat success like you’re showing. Your plant pics indoor or outdoor cultivation? No reason. Just curious.

Imagine that hypoallergenic cannabis. I was wondering about shearing off trichomes.

Zill.
Outdoor, Northeast USA. I may not wash if I were indoors. You don't loose many as long as you're gentle and don't use ice cold water. They get rained on and blown around in the wind all season.
Here's this year's diary if you're interested.

Z

Zill

TSD,

Makes loads sense. Those tight resiny buds are magnets for air borne stuff all season. Like you I’m in the northeast. Crazy weather today, eh!

Impressive buds. Wet or dry leaf shave. I’m learning.

Zill.

TSD

TSD

TSD,

Makes loads sense. Those tight resiny buds are magnets for air borne stuff all season. Like you I’m in the northeast. Crazy weather today, eh!

Zill.
Yes, almost 80 here today, so crazy! I wet trim because I feel like washing is more effective that way. I usually go from the wash to grove bags in 5-7 days (depending on bud size) at around 60% humidity and 60 degrees in my dry area.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Those buckets look pretty clean, I've had a lot more after just a few branches ( 3 cats and a dusty basement).....It will smoke smoother than if you had not washed them.
Yeah they weren’t bad, it was indoor obviously, but had some bugs and then the PM pop up, so I figured I’d give it a go.

I do have animals in the house so cat/dog hair, any dust that got into the tent etc

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
TSD,

Zill.
Same region here too lol, yeah went out and did some fishing in the afternoon since it was so nice out lol

Bellemeena

Bellemeena

Bellemeena

Bellemeena

Step 1--Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with water. A number of the msgs say that the best ratio is 1 part H2O2 to 3 parts water. Personally, that is the ratio I settled on after trying several others. The H2O2 kills molds, mildews, germs, and very small insects like mites. Swish around and let the buds or colas sit in there for several minutes. There might be some gentle foaming when the H202 reacts to the dirt, mildews, etc. I drain and let the buds sit in a sieve while prepping for the next step.

Keep in mind that H2O2 is recommended by oral surgeons and dentists as a mouth wash especially after surgery or most any procedure on the gums or other areas of the mouth so it is considered safe

Step 2--The recommendation in the thread for the second step (originally it was the first step until the introduction of the H2O2) is to mix the Baking Soda and Lemon Juice with water in the bucket. The ratio mentioned by @013 sounds good. Put water in the bucket, dump the sieve with the buds into the bucket, put in the Baking Soda and swish around. Then add the Lemon Juice. Watch the magic cleaning action before your eyes. The Baking Soda acts as an extremely mild abrasive and starts to remove insects, eggs, dirt and very tiny particles of dirt. When the Lemon Juice is added we see the foaming action between the Baking Soda and the mild acids in the juice. This will physically remove all those small particles of dirt and crud from the surface of the buds and keeps them in the water. Put the buds in the sieve and dump the bucket. Using just Baking Soda or just the Lemon Juice does not do much at all. It is a chemical reaction between the two that does the magic cleaning.

Baking Soda has been used as a basic type of toothpaste for decades so it is safe and Lemon Juice works great to make Lemonade.

Step 3 & 4 are plain water rinses. There are recommendations on the best temperatures for the water but room temp to body temp seem to be best.

If someone has extra buds laying around they can experiment with the temperatures of the rinse water. Warm water, up to 110-120 F will darken the green material in the buds. If the water is cold it does not seem to rinse as well and I have noticed little bits of trimmed leaves later on which are usually removed when the rinse water is warm.

Some people mix the Hydrogen Peroxide with the Lemon Juice. They probably did not look up the chemical reaction but the H2O2 and the acids in the juice will form a new chemical which is not recommended for living things. I figure that most of the time we are not using a strong enough H2O2 and/or Lemon Juice acid but who knows.

The basic information found on more than one web site about mixing the two: "Combining them creates peracetic acid, which is potentially toxic and can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system." They should not be mixed together but they will not form the Peracetic Acid if used in succession. So, using the H2O2 in step 1 and then the lemon juice & baking soda mix in step 2 is OK.

Z

Zill

Bellemeena,

Very well intentioned and very misguided.

The process cannot work as you describe. At the concentrations you mention both Sodium bicarbonate and H2O2 are not biocidal, fungicidal and certainly not sporocidal. Baking powder does absolutely nothing but raise the pH and fungi are OK with that. We’re not talking pH> 7.5. And the H2O2 use concentration in your procedure does absolutely nothing especially to spores.

Question:
Why do you drench your resiny trichomes loaded with cannanbinoids, flavonoids and aromatic terpines with fairly strong oxidizing agents? I’ll bet you reduce the potency.

Zill.

Bellemeena

Bellemeena

Sorry this is what was given to our cannabis group…so I guess we’re all wrong…..everyone reading this post ..PLEASE IGNORE AND NO COMMENTS BACK……I ACCEPT THAT I’m wrong. I hate commenting on these forums

Z

Zill

Why? It wasn’t meant to insult. You’re going in the right direction. Consider yourself a victim to the loads of misinformation be spewed every moment. Nothing is bad, you clan learn from everything.

Zill.

TSD

TSD

I did the lemon and baking soda last year because I had aphids, but I do think it effected the final flavor and smell. This year I opted for a more gentle wash and my flavors and smells so far, early in cure, are great, I also had a better year over all as well. I'll never not wash, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Top Bottom