Buds not retaining smell! Help!

• Thread starter KALEPONI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X

Xceptional

Keep in mind that sometimes your nose can get used to a smell and make it hard to detect; a room may be so saturated with the odor that the source doesn't appear to be the source...

on a complete geek note that is a defense trait of many animals. filtering out the surrounding smells allows animals to smell predators approaching.

and...lol if you dry weed fast. it will smell like hay forever. and if you jar it wet, it will smell like the mold it is growing.

this is the case for sure i have proof right now! i have some NL i grew that smells nice and dank will fill the room up with smell popping the jar. my boy grew the same strain from the same mom using the same system and the same lights and nutrients and his has almost no smell until you finger fucc it. the only variables were

• his room temp and humidity fluctuated drastically during drying.
  • he used plastic bags instead of glass after drying.
  • he had very high growing temps, 90 degrees indoors with no co2
  • very poor air circulation and he never shook his plants they were like statues, mine had oscillating fans blowing directly on them damn near blowing them over with each pass and i always shake my plants whenever I'm in my room to promote air exchange for every leaf and strengthen the stalk.

those are it. hope that list helps you some maybe something you did matches something he did.

C

CannaColorado

there are times i wish i had nugs that didn't smell, not many times but i can remember one or two where i was just fuxed because my nuggage smelled to good heheh

B

bicycle racer

drying to fast is bad and also putting buds in jars too moist screws up taste and smell. i find at about 4 to 6 months buds are at there best imo. i dont even like smoking bud which has not been cured for at least 4 weeks.

W

weedfarm

i have seen plenty of commercial bud that smelled pretty dank. How do they get it dank smelling w/o all the cure time? I know most commercial guys don't hold on to bud for more than a week, so how do they do it?

D

dedicated user

Patience is a virtue,,

A good practice is to leave a nice amount of stem on the bud when they first go into the jars to help maintain good moister content and to aid in extending the curing which will increase the odor, flavor and quality of smoke, the veg smell will not leave until all the chlorophyl and sugars are broken down from proper curing, longer curing also helps when long flush times aren't allowed by ripening time constraints.

I feel there is a bit to much emphasis on flushing prior to picking, the nutrients that are in the res tank are quiet the same as what is found in the structure of the plant matter itself, they are simple and complex sugar molecules, and amino acids which fuel the photosynthetic processes.

So while it is a good idea to cut down to minimum nuts just prior to harvest I would rather have my flowers feeding right up to harvest time to get the maximum yield and potency and then develop diciplined curing practices and remember many of the flushes sold today are basic sugars that are also very important during the entire growth of the plant,so always add a little to every fed or res.

Good look, and keep the cause alive.:anim_09:

J

JonDoe

it might be a stretch but I just started using those drying racks also and I'm noticing a big decrease in smell, way less then when i used to use hangers and leave it on the stem for a week or so. My cure is the same, the drying racks are the only difference. Doing some side by side tests now so we'll see. Perhaps the fabric draws out the smell?
not fabric bot the stems from buds iv'e been prive to buds wet trimed put on racks & same buds hung 4 10-20 days then dry trimed & proof was in the final product.wet trim=$150oz/dry trim=$200.

D

dank_

I like to brown bag. It gives a slower drying time for those few days at that right time. If not, sometimes I find myself going into the jars too early.

7-14 days drying entire plants with ~65F, ~60% humidity. I manicure when the leaves are dry-like. Brown bag for a few days. Cut buds off into mason jars. Open jars everyday and move around buds as least as possible everyday to every few, then they're ready to store. Always cool, dry and dark.

*This becomes a job when you have pounds.

C

croniklungz

yeah you only need to hang dry until the outside of the buds are a cry crispy feel but when you squeeze the bud it feels slightly moist means its ready for cure. the smell is a terpene and is like a water molecule so you want your outside dry enough to absorb the terpene as it is sweated to the outside of the bud. this is my second year and i did what you did dried to long.Now my Sweet Pink Grapefruit smells so much like grapefruit its crazy and its almost fully cured. 3-5 days dry clip off buds jar all dry to 3/4 filled jars (even plastic but only for bulk) warm to sweat and colder place when you sleep when unable to burp. not the fridge or freezer fyi*... i open my jars a few times a day and feel the buds and get down to the bottom and after awhile youll start to organize jars in areas that need more burping then others.after burping i shake jars lightly to let bud sit loosely and to force the smell out lol seriously tho .. *Also side note* if you stopped watering plants b4 harvest effects drying times. if you stopped i would let the stock or stem whichever your method sit in water for 30-60 minutes b4 hanging the water and gravity will pull all terpenes thc cannabinoids etc down to the buds. the whole reason why you hang in the first place

D

Dai

You shouldn't have to cure it to get that smell obviously something is wrong this is what I do and I've never jarrd it in my life and I. Have banging buzzing tasty asf buds here we go make sure the plants are mature give the 2 days dar cut the whole plant down get temperature to about 25 26 °c and have an osolating fan blowing gently across the plants humidity at 52 to 55% for about 7 to 9 days depends on how big buds are I believe just hanging the plant with no air running through it the chlorofyl soaks in to the plant when it's drying out of it with a fan it's blowing the fresh air through it and I find it evaporates it away rather than the plant having no air over it my opinion

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

You shouldn't have to cure it to get that smell obviously something is wrong this is what I do and I've never jarrd it in my life and I. Have banging buzzing tasty asf buds here we go make sure the plants are mature give the 2 days dar cut the whole plant down get temperature to about 25 26 °c and have an osolating fan blowing gently across the plants humidity at 52 to 55% for about 7 to 9 days depends on how big buds are I believe just hanging the plant with no air running through it the chlorofyl soaks in to the plant when it's drying out of it with a fan it's blowing the fresh air through it and I find it evaporates it away rather than the plant having no air over it my opinion
I never heard of curing,I know that what I bought wasn’t cured and it smelled great.i think mine smells better after just drying then jarred and cured but I noob and trying to do what the instructions say...if it’s ok not to cure let me know and I will take those mugs out and get the on there way to smokin.
Happy growing

D

Dai

I never heard of curing,I know that what I bought wasn’t cured and it smelled great.i think mine smells better after just drying then jarred and cured but I noob and trying to do what the instructions say...if it’s ok not to cure let me know and I will take those mugs out and get the on there way to smokin.
Happy growing
It's all in the drying. people make the jars curing etc up when they haven't dry tidy and it smells like hay Tey try to justify it by saying it needs to be cured fact is it isn't dry tidy in the 1st place

D

Dai

Happy growing
I've never jard it and it's tasty and buzzing asf everytime. I believe people who say they're stuff needs to be cured they just use it as an excuse to justify they're wrongly dryd cannabis which smells like hay because the chlorophyll has absorbed on to the plant because people believe not to have a fan blowing lightly on the buds but I believe by having it blowing over the plants lightly so they moving a little bit so it evaporates the chlorophyll from the plant instead of it absorbing into the plant where they are just hanging with no air being blown through them

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

When you cure in jars sometimes the weed has little smell until you break open the flower, once you break open your nug it should retain its smell. Good luck.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Happy growing
It's okay not to cure :) But it does add to the bud, so try it both ways!

I don't do a long cure and I don't leave the jars open for long periods, I burp them for maybe a minute 2x day and that's it

In a week or two of burping I checked the RH in the jar and if it's where I want it I vacuum seal it.

Not saying this is right or wrong just saying that's how I do it now

D

Dai

Why does it lose its smell though it has happened to me in the past as soon as it goes from the dry room it smells weird lol

FreesmokeKO

FreesmokeKO

Keep in mind that sometimes your nose can get used to a smell and make it hard to detect; a room may be so saturated with the odor that the source doesn't appear to be the source... A while back I was upset that this batch of buds had no smell as I portioned some out for a patient. As I brought it to my patient, I was apologizing for the lack of fragrance, unzipped my backpack, and the room instantly reeked of dankness. It's likely you just need a little longer cure, but you may try my idea. Take a little sack or jar to work in your pocket and see if any co-workers notice or recognize the smell...LOL (just kidding, do not try that at work).
Lmfao don’t try at work

Winter323

Winter323

One of the main things you can do to ruin the smell is foliar in flower as it can produce some mildew that you cant see and for some reason gives it that smell in your hand like hay. Sure some batches or smells are so strong they kind of overpower it. So be mindful to try to avoid even week2 foliar as one extra foliar really isnt going to help that much plus its not worth it giving it that mildew smell.

Bud Rot or Mold is one of the quickest things to ruin your smell. I had some problems with this experimenting with trying to use a swamp cooler for a few cycles. So its possible if your smell is off your humidity could be too high or you could have a contaminated room, in which case you want to take them down early and not let them ride out.

Other things i have noticed. Is letting it dry with fan leaves nearby (not taken off) will sometimes give it a dried leaf smell, but again a terpy strain will overpower so maybe wont notice as much.

Leaving too much salts in your bud will definitely kill the smell and leave it smelling like Chlorophyll, one of the main reasons I switched to organic is even if you screw something up and have to harvest early, you dont really have to worry about a flush and you are pretty much going to have great smelling/tasting/smoking buds even on an off batch, where as with salts if you dont flush its going to taste and smell nasty so any early harvesting you do it going to make a nasty batch lol just how it is and you know it. Sure maybe the flush will get rid of most of that but not the same as using sweet smelling organics.

Now yes you can argue all day about the best way to cure...in the fridge for a month to dry...in a dehydrator for a day...on the plant at 60 F/ 60% humidity, etc etc, but this shouldn't really make too much of a difference for a very terpy strain, Sure if just let it hang in a hot room for a couple months probably isnt helping anything or if you bag it up too wet and get mold or a funny smell but that will usually dissipate as it cures long at it wasn't way too wet and usually will end up smelling better in the end, but I would guess the fridge method would be the best cure, but I am ashamed to admit I have never had the patience to see this through until the end although I did start it a few times, always have thirsty custies on my back ruining those kind of time consuming/ cure experiments, but I think you could get a nice color change doing it in the fridge in some cases.

Winter323

Winter323

In any event its good when you have a problem with something like smell, as you can take the opportunity to try everything you can think of to get dialed in and focus on making the next run perfect in those respects which will usually make your quality much better.

ahemait

ahemait

That guy seems to know what he's talking about.

I fast dry/cure my shit. I found the jarring and crap to be far too time consuming, way too easy to fuck up and ruin everything, and no one could really point to any science as to why. So, when i dry my shit, i do it in 2-3 days fully dried, freezer it up, and when i need some i take it out and re-hydrate in a can with a moisture pack. It stinks like a mother fucker. Too much even. I left a bud in my car once accidentally for an afternoon and the smell took several days to go away : (

Try that shit. See what happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom