Buffering RO water

• Thread starter hummusjonas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
yeah it wasnt me that wanted it. Was forced upon us to get a new well. The old well actually had better water in all scientific metrics. But when it comes to those A.G. improvement loans they get to dictate certain terms and its their way of "one hand washing the other". Im working on a work around but will be at least a season or two out. Plus we had to get a bunch of stuff so they would approve the loan for the new farm. So you know total headache of two years we have had to deal with all this. But we are in the homestretch to just be where we wanted to be at the start.

Well congrats! Ive been in the same situation. At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
yeah i called my grow store and they have lb of it for $15. so ima grab it next time im in town. Ill figure out how to use it. I like protekt but have looked into doing my own silicate blend for awhile now. This was on that list of ingredients, so it works out to push me towards that instead of grabbing another jug.

If you are in AG land check out some of the suppliers locally (the big fuckers). They might stock Agsil or Growsil or are able to source it for you.. Those are the 2 they will carry if they do. I get pretty much 90% of the stuff I use from them now and save my ass on shipping.

R

redshift75

If you are in AG land check out some of the suppliers locally (the big fuckers). They might stock Agsil or Growsil or are able to source it for you.. Those are the 2 they will carry if they do. I get pretty much 90% of the stuff I use from them now and save my ass on shipping.
ive looked into agsil before but i have to buy a bit of it. Ill keep my eye out at more places see if i can get the non 50lb bags.

Dayowe

Dayowe

[...] Best option is use a combination of cal mag that's nitrate based at 100-150ppm and potassium silicate. This will give you the cal mag and buffer with added silica and potassium which are all beneficial.

I haven't used the potassium silicate so without looking it up I can tell you the dosage but you want to mix the potassium silicate into the ro first then ph down to 6.2 then add cal mag then dyna gro.

Of you don't ph after potassium silicate and add cal mag you will get precipitate.
I know this is an old discussion, but I'm trying to understand the part i put in bold (non-native english speaker). What does precipitate mean in this context in simple terms?

Dayowe

Dayowe

Nutrients reacting, forming solid salts and falling out of solution
Thanks! I still didn't fully understand what it means if something 'falls out' of a solution, so I ended up asking ChatGPT, which helped me understand 😁:

Imagine you have a glass of water with some tiny, invisible particles dissolved in it. These particles are like little Lego pieces floating around. Now, when you add something to the water, like another chemical, it can cause those Lego pieces to stick together and form a clump. This clump is called a precipitate.
Think of it as if you were playing with water and sand. When you pour sand into the water and mix it, the sand particles spread out and disappear in the water. But if you add something to the water, like a special powder, it makes the sand particles stick together and form a clump at the bottom. That clump of sand is like a precipitate.
So, when a compound precipitates from a solution, it means that the particles of that compound join together and form a solid clump that can be seen or collected. It's like the Lego pieces sticking together or the sand clumping up at the bottom of the glass.

Top Bottom