building a growbox,, heres what i got so far

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

firstly, i bought the wood and made the box. the box is 3 ft high , 3.5 ft wide and 2 ft deep. its 1/2inch plywood but i would suggest getting at least 3/4 inch plywood or particle board. 1/2 inch is too thin! and dont use the shitty plywood. get something high grade. my light fixture is approx 2'x2' so it should fit fine.
photo_6_.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

i painted the inside of the box with flat white paint. this is my first box and the mylar is too expensive for now. i also attempted to put on 2 doors but they are barely hanging on the box so i might do something else for the doors. im no carpenter and i have no building skills. going ok so far though...
photo_11_.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

ok,, the doors absolutely sucked! couldnt get them straight and the plywood is too flimsy and thin to properly attach them.. so i decided to put a piece of 1x a half inch in the box on the top and bottom. going to use velcro to fasten them to the doors.

photo_2_2.JPG
photo_1_.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

painted the doors and stuck the velcro to the wood. then i installed the light. its a t5 8 bulb setup. when i put the doors on, it fits nicely within the cabinet.

photo_8_1.JPG
photo_8_2.JPG
photo_7_.JPG
photo_3_.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

dont know what im going to do with odor control. i found a 4" fan with carbon air scrubber on ebay for 130 bux but im not sure if this is overkill for this small of a box. any thoughts anyone?

mikeb437

mikeb437

taped some thick black plastic to the front of the box for any light that might escape.
photo_1_1.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

made light trap with fan

heres a few pics of the fan with the light trap mounted on it.
its a homemade light trap i made out of some cardboard and tape. got the idea from a youtube video on making a growcabinet. im using a 5" fan on this. i certainly could have done a wayyy better job on this but i was anxious to get this installed.
photo_4_2.JPG
photo_11_1.JPG
photo_6_1.JPG

T

TreFarmer

rep points

With "no carpentry skills" you have been identifying and rectifying issues before they even become issues... props. :cool0041: Pimp shit rockit!
I would recommend caulking all seems. Caulk not silicone (too messy and light penetrates silicone). Then maybe another layer of velcro to all corners of front to velcro panda film or even the plastic to.
Also maybe build another light trap and another fan, mine went out every 3 months, middle of the night the bushing goes and they begin to vibrate. Best to have a back-up!!:banana1sv6:
Throw a house plant in for a week to test her out, you should see "abnormally" fast growth. My favorite is the one that looks kinda like a spider plant but purple white and green, the leaves are really cool metallic looking, OH AND, they love the intensity of 40+ watts per sq ft.lol Then, you know she's ready:icon_animal26:

mikeb437

mikeb437

finished it off!

finished the box.. got a passive intake on bottom left. 5" outtake fan on top right with a light trap. power cord on bottom and lighting this baby is a 2ft, 8 bulb t-5 fixture. im taking these pics with the floro's going so they look kinda weird. the box is 3 ft tall , 3.5 ft wide and 2 ft deep. goin gon vacation in 10 weeks so i cant start a big grow yet but im psyched! might throw some seeds in there for the hell of it to gain some experience before my trip. can anyone think of anything else i will need for this? heres my my pics..

photo_12_.JPG
photo_13_.JPG
photo_15_.JPG

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
some small massey fans to move the air around a bit wont hurt

like the box man - looks good - white paint is pro!

mikeb437

mikeb437

ill do that motherlode.. thanks for the props! rep points would b nice too!

T

The Wiz

Hell yeah, nice work man!! Rep++

I agree with motherlode, circulation is probably your biggest concern right now. Lighting=A+, Dimensions=A- (not gonna get any monsters in there...make sure not to veg for too long or you will be cursing the height of your box).

In my opinion, your passive intake is too small, there is some formula to create the best air flow, and I think you are supposed to make your intake at least the same area as your outtake (pi*5"^2). Not sure what your temps will be in the area you are gonna be growing in, but having good air flow makes it MUCH easier to control the temps inside your box. Fans inside the box can help like motherlode suggested.

If a lot of air gets through that black plastic cover you have on the front, you can pretty much ignore what I wrote above, because that could suffice as intake.

What strains you putting in there? Keep us posted man, can't wait to see this baby in action. After one more grow in my rubbermaid, I am planning on making something very similar to this, probably out of an old dresser. You definitely did your research, and seriously look into those Ona buckets before you drop $130 or w/e on a carbon filter. You can make your own carbon filters for wayyy cheaper than that!

EDIT:

Checked my facts. A general rule of thumb for passive intake is twice the area of your exhaust. Or...1 sq foot of intake for every 580 CFM (check ur fan). So basically make two holes each the size of your fan if you chose to follow my advice!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
exactly bro - 6" exhaust means you want at least 12" passive intake

and if you filter the intake to prevent bugs and shit go with 3x

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Here are some pics of one of my old box setups for inspiration..lol

Veg side is a 250w mh over a microgarden and the veg side is a 600w in a cool tube over a 2x2 e&f table, completely sealed

Tex

Captured 2004 3 26 00000
Captured 2004 3 26 00001
Captured 2004 3 26 00002
Captured 2004 3 26 00003
Captured 2004 3 26 00004
Captured 2004 3 26 00005
Captured 2004 3 26 00006
Captured 2004 3 26 00014
Captured 2004 3 26 00015
Captured 2004 3 26 00016
mikeb437

mikeb437

thats a kick ass box tex! thanks for the advice guys,, i have a 5" fan but the holes i drilled into the box are 4". the temp stays a constand 82 degrees when the lights are on and around 70 when they are off... i only have 1 intake and 1 outtake but if you think i should get another intake, i will definately drill another hole.. i have 1 small plant in there. got the seeds from amsterdam but they werent marked when i bought them. they were the freebies i got when i purchased some white rhino seeds. got it in some rockwool and ill take a few pics later.. leaving oct 14th to go to cabo so i have to plan on when to start flowering this plant. would like it to be ready before i leave or safe to store for when i get back from vacation. i hope you guys can help me out this is my first real grow...

mikeb437

mikeb437

trial grow in box...

i decided to throw a plant in the new box to see how it works.. like the newbie that i am i didnt think to write down the date that i planted or the date it sprouted. but it hasnt been more than 2 weeks. pics tell the story.. i think she looks nice. ( hopefully a she) this must be done and ready to smoke by oct 14th if its a female.. i will need help on when to start flowering and harvesting, etc etc...

photo_18_.JPG
photo_17_.JPG
photo_20_.JPG

surferbum6900

surferbum6900

i love this thread! being for the first five years of me growing was in home mad boxs hidden in my room! hahah gopt away with it for 5 years! i even had dresser made into a grow box!

Top Bottom