• Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

ColinS

Building a super soil

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

i would mix by volume not weight tho.
Promix 80% (the one that is pre mixed 50/50 peat/perlite)
EWC 20%
3 to 7% of the total base volume of a balanced organic amendments mix (7% can be a bit hot depending on its composition tho)
you are missing a good rock dust for mineralizing and adding Silica to your media too, like Basalt, Mica Schist, Azomite, or Glacial Rock dust for example
Activated Biochar is also a great addition too.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Its a great recipe but I personally dont use blood or bone meal, you might wanna check this video:
Youre already adding dolomite lime, which has a good ratio of calcium to magnessium, unlike bone meal which has a disproportionate ratio of a lot of calcium and not much magnessium. You might think that epsom salts will help you with that extra magnessium and phosphorus, but the truth is that epsom salts are water soluble unlike the rest of your ingredients so its gonna last a few weeks of watering at most. The plant needs 2:1 calcium and magnessium ratio to absorve the calcium properly. Besides theres other problems with blood and bone meal that you can see in the previous video. I do a light super soil so I can top dress or use liquid ferts according to what the plants are showing me during the grow, if you wanna do hot soil I would add normal soil on top as the video says to minimize the risk of burning the plants when transplanted. Kelp gives a good ammount of nitrogen, bat guano and worm castings also add a little bit, if youre worried about the ratio of phosphorus to nitrogen, usually many root boosters have phosphorus in them so even if youre going with liquid nutes youre kicking in more phopshorus sometimes. Another option is buying a veg booster based in nitrogen and micronutrients and/or organic hormones (likes the ones in kelp meal) and add to the water, there's plenty but I personally love delta 1 from cannabiogen, can be used foliar, in reservoir or with a watering can. I dont see much potassium in there besides of what the kelp meal adds, which is not bad, but if you wanna add more at some point a good way is using palm tree ash. As for the silica, most of the commercial soils we buy have silica already but its never bad to add more so the plants grow thicker and more resilient to pests and stress. I personally add diatomaceous earth for that (Some people worry if it damages the good microorganisms, it doesnt, theyre too small, it only kills insects and not all of them). Azomite gives a ton of minerals and also acts as a nitrogen buffer so the nitrogen that your plant cant take doesnt go to waste. Activated, or non activated charcoal (it will activate once you start watering) can help you keep the nutrients stored inside it so the plant can take them whenever she wants and they release slowly to the soil, its also great if you plan on reusing the soil or part of the soil.
In case youre interested in Delta 1 Ill list you the ingredients here (and in case youre wondering yes, its 100% organic, all I use is biomineral and organic ammendments and organic liquid ferts)

Delta 1 Cannabiogen Composition​

• 13% free aminoacids
  • 7.9% total nitrogen
  • 4.2% ammoniacal nitrogen
  • 3.2% organic nitrogen
  • 0.5% ureic nitrogen
  • 0,5% water soluble phosphorus pentoxide

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Its a great recipe but I personally dont use blood or bone meal, you might wanna check this video:
Youre already adding dolomite lime, which has a good ratio of calcium to magnessium, unlike bone meal which has a disproportionate ratio of a lot of calcium and not much magnessium. You might think that epsom salts will help you with that extra magnessium and phosphorus, but the truth is that epsom salts are water soluble unlike the rest of your ingredients so its gonna last a few weeks of watering at most. The plant needs 2:1 calcium and magnessium ratio to absorve the calcium properly. Besides theres other problems with blood and bone meal that you can see in the previous video. I do a light super soil so I can top dress or use liquid ferts according to what the plants are showing me during the grow, if you wanna do hot soil I would add normal soil on top as the video says to minimize the risk of burning the plants when transplanted. Kelp gives a good ammount of nitrogen, bat guano and worm castings also add a little bit, if youre worried about the ratio of phosphorus to nitrogen, usually many root boosters have phosphorus in them so even if youre going with liquid nutes youre kicking in more phopshorus sometimes. Another option is buying a veg booster based in nitrogen and micronutrients and/or organic hormones (likes the ones in kelp meal) and add to the water, there's plenty but I personally love delta 1 from cannabiogen, can be used foliar, in reservoir or with a watering can. I dont see much potassium in there besides of what the kelp meal adds, which is not bad, but if you wanna add more at some point a good way is using palm tree ash. As for the silica, most of the commercial soils we buy have silica already but its never bad to add more so the plants grow thicker and more resilient to pests and stress. I personally add diatomaceous earth for that (Some people worry if it damages the good microorganisms, it doesnt, theyre too small, it only kills insects and not all of them). Azomite gives a ton of minerals and also acts as a nitrogen buffer so the nitrogen that your plant cant take doesnt go to waste. Activated, or non activated charcoal (it will activate once you start watering) can help you keep the nutrients stored inside it so the plant can take them whenever she wants and they release slowly to the soil, its also great if you plan on reusing the soil or part of the soil.
In case youre interested in Delta 1 Ill list you the ingredients here (and in case youre wondering yes, its 100% organic, all I use is biomineral and organic ammendments and organic liquid ferts)

Delta 1 Cannabiogen Composition​

• 13% free aminoacids
  • 7.9% total nitrogen
  • 4.2% ammoniacal nitrogen
  • 3.2% organic nitrogen
  • 0.5% ureic nitrogen
  • 0,5% water soluble phosphorus pentoxide
I would say a range of 2:1 to 6:1 Ca to Mg is pretty perfect, plants need much more calcium than we realize. And inside that window there will be no lockout.
Something like 7% Ca 2% Mg would be a sweet spot for a dry amendment mix.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Also sulfates derived Mg and other nutrients are pretty much worldwide aproved for organic gardening, if no run off it will be available for quite some time in the media for the microbes/bacterias tho. Sulphur plays a big role in aminoacids, vitamins, proteins and enzymes function.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Im not saying the plant doesnt need it, Im saying that if the ratio is much higher than 2:1 it wont be able to take it anyway. A 6:1 ratio is 3 times more calcium than recommended for optimal absorption. What I mean to say is; yes, plants need a lot of calcium, I give them a lot of calcium, but I also give them a lot of magnessium. Epsom salts are my go to for fast magnessium (and some sulphur aswell) and my egg shell vinegar is my go to for fast absorption calcium. In veg I might just use an organic calmag since I dont mind the extra nitrogen they have but for flower I avoid them. For slow release I mix dolomite with the soil and if needed also top dressed, it has a perfect ratio of calcium and magnessium unlike bone meal.
EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, when you mix a 1:1 ratio of egg shells and vinegar the acetic acid from the vinegar is released alongside with the carbon from the eggshells, giving you a ph of about 7 (you can add more eggshell to make it higher or more vinegar to make it lower til you find the sweet spot) and converting the slow absorption calcium carbonate from the egg shells in readily available calcium.

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Im not saying the plant doesnt need it, Im saying that if the ratio is much higher than 2:1 it wont be able to take it anyway. A 6:1 ratio is 3 times more calcium than recommended for optimal absorption. What I mean to say is; yes, plants need a lot of calcium, I give them a lot of calcium, but I also give them a lot of magnessium. Epsom salts are my go to for fast magnessium and mi egg shell vinegar is my go to for fast absorption calcium. In veg I might just use an organic calmag since I dont mind the extra nitrogen they have. For slow release I mix dolomite with the soil and if needed also top dressed, it has a perfect ratio of calcium and magnessium unlike bone meal.
Yep I'm not a blood meal guy, but bone meal is great stuff for balancing a recipe.
What I'm saying is 6:1 is the max before lockout occur. 3.5 Ca to 1 Mg is the sweet spot for a dry amendment mix.
Calcium is very slowly released a bigger ratio is beneficial in the long run.

Eledin

Eledin

Yep I'm not a blood meal guy, but bone meal is great stuff for balancing a recipe.
What I'm saying is 6:1 is the max before lockout occur. 3.5 Ca to 1 Mg is the sweet spot for a dry amendment mix.
Calcium is very slowly released a bigger ratio is beneficial in the long run.
You are absolutely right, my bad, 6:1 is the max you can push calcium and I think its even okay as long as its not higher than that. I had to re-research that. If its for balancing a recipe I guess its fine then yes, its mosltly calcium but there are plenty of ammendments with magnessium. I still wouldnt use it because the farms where they come from, even if it has the "organic farming" certificate, are most likely not organic themselves as mentioned in the video. I dont know if that has changed or not, in the USA you guys have a ton more of options to choose from, but here dry ammendments are not a big thing... I cant even find crab meal or any kind of krill... which I would LOVE to add to my soil. I use tasty terpenes (previosuly known as nirvana), they dont list it in their ingredients but they dont list many things, here in Spain they are forced to give our retailers the complete list of ingredients, EU standards. Here is what every grow in Spain says Tasty Terpenes have (they cant be confused with the old recipe because Tasty Terpenes is the new recipe)
Composición del Tasty Terpenes (Nirvana) de Advanced Nutrients:
Potasio 1%
Ácido fúlvico. (Fulvic acid)
Ácidos húmicos. (Humic acids)
Guano de murciélago. (Bat guano)
Harina de alfalfa. (Alfalfa meal)
Harina de king krill. (King krill meal)
Azomite.
Extracto de algas. (Kelp extract)
Extracto de yuca. (Yuca extract)
Extracto de quillaja. (Quillaja extract)
Extracto de levadura. (Yeast extract)
Proteínas hidrolizadas de suero de leche. (Hydrolyzed milk serum proteins)
Aminoácidos.

Not ammending my soil heavily gives me the option of addapting to the plants and also provide them with things that I can only find in liquid ferts like Krill. I can also push nutes slowly during flower until I reach the maxium ammount without burning my plants, as soon as I see a few burnt or yellow tips that are not exclusively on the top canopy I go to the previous dose, its not a big deal to burn a couple of tips, thats why I love organic, gives you time to tune your feeding according to what you are reading from the plant. Also the taste and the smoothness of the smoke.

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

You are absolutely right, my bad, 6:1 is the max you can push calcium and I think its even okay as long as its not higher than that. I had to re-research that. If its for balancing a recipe I guess its fine then yes, its mosltly calcium but there are plenty of ammendments with magnessium. I still wouldnt use it because the farms where they come from, even if it has the "organic farming" certificate, are most likely not organic themselves as mentioned in the video. I dont know if that has changed or not, in the USA you guys have a ton more of options to choose from, but here dry ammendments are not a big thing... I cant even find crab meal or any kind of krill... which I would LOVE to add to my soil. I use tasty terpenes (previosuly known as nirvana), they dont list it in their ingredients but they dont list many things, here in Spain they are forced to give our retailers the complete list of ingredients, EU standards. Here is what every grow in Spain says Tasty Terpenes have (they cant be confused with the old recipe because Tasty Terpenes is the new recipe)
Composición del Tasty Terpenes (Nirvana) de Advanced Nutrients:
Potasio 1%
Ácido fúlvico. (Fulvic acid)
Ácidos húmicos. (Humic acids)
Guano de murciélago. (Bat guano)
Harina de alfalfa. (Alfalfa meal)
Harina de king krill. (King krill meal)
Azomite.
Extracto de algas. (Kelp extract)
Extracto de yuca. (Yuca extract)
Extracto de quillaja. (Quillaja extract)
Extracto de levadura. (Yeast extract)
Proteínas hidrolizadas de suero de leche. (Hydrolyzed milk serum proteins)
Aminoácidos.

Not ammending my soil heavily gives me the option of addapting to the plants and also provide them with things that I can only find in liquid ferts like Krill. I can also push nutes slowly during flower until I reach the maxium ammount without burning my plants, as soon as I see a few burnt or yellow tips that are not exclusively on the top canopy I go to the previous dose, its not a big deal to burn a couple of tips, thats why I love organic, gives you time to tune your feeding according to what you are reading from the plant. Also the taste and the smoothness of the smoke.
Yep I used advanced full organic line some years from 2006, was damn good bud.
Im using local fish hydrolisate , kelp extract, liquid bokashi and molasses tea when the girls ask for it.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Along with the super soil I would get into making lactic acid bacteria (lab) to help make all the dry amendments avaliable quicker. Super labs are on a whole different level 😉

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Along with the super soil I would get into making lactic acid bacteria (lab) to help make all the dry amendments avaliable quicker. Super labs are on a whole different level 😉
Yep liquid and dry bokashi is done with Labs, good stuff, em-1 also amazing bacteria/enzymes.

Eledin

Eledin

Yep I used advanced full organic line some years from 2006, was damn good bud.
Im using local fish hydrolisate , kelp extract, liquid bokashi and molasses tea when the girls ask for it.
Nice! I never used bokashi, correct me if Im wrong but is fermented kelp right? For auxines, citoquinines and betaines alongside the rest of goodies that kelp can offer I use Hemplex, its 100% concentrated kelp extract but using a method of alternating cold and hot to preserve all the goodies that kelp has to offer. That makes it a bit expensive though, but if you use it only foliar during veg and a bit with the water during flower lasts for long. I do use kelp meal with my soil or for top dressing but is not the same as freshly made kelp extract (mostly because of the hormones) and thats the closest I can get. I wish I could buy local from farmers or something, that would be great, its almost always better and cheaper to go local if you can.
EDIT: Oh yeah and I also use homemade filtered germinated lentil juice, tons of auxines for rooting but I only do it at the start of the grow because I dont want to unbalance the stability between auxines and citoquinines in the plant, thats when hemplex comes in.
Speaking of LAB, I have used milk succesfully to treat my plants in the past, its not ideal I know but you get those lactobacillus to do the work. I know in Korean farming they make their own, I should start doing that thank you very much!

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Nice! I never used bokashi, correct me if Im wrong but is fermented kelp right? For auxines, citoquinines and betaines alongside the rest of goodies that kelp can offer I use Hemplex, its 100% concentrated kelp extract but using a method of alternating cold and hot to preserve all the goodies that kelp has to offer. That makes it a bit expensive though, but if you use it only foliar during veg and a bit with the water during flower lasts for long. I do use kelp meal with my soil or for top dressing but is not the same as freshly made kelp extract (mostly because of the hormones) and thats the closest I can get. I wish I could buy local from farmers or something, that would be great, its almost always better and cheaper to go local if you can.
EDIT: Oh yeah and I also use homemade filtered germinated lentil juice, tons of auxines for rooting but I only do it at the start of the grow because I dont want to unbalance the stability between auxines and citoquinines in the plant, thats when hemplex comes in.
Speaking of LAB, I have used milk succesfully to treat my plants in the past, its not ideal I know but you get those lactobacillus to do the work. I know in Korean farming they make their own, I should start doing that thank you very much!
The bokashi i use is done the old way, it's a Japanese fertilizer done by fermenting fish meal, kelp extract, wheat meal, rice meal, Bamboo meal, biochar, molasses and locally harvested beneficial fungi and bacteria from the forest (in cooked rice).
It's a microorganism bomb and has 2.5% Nitrogen plus a lot of trace minerals, and yep all the kelp and fish goodies too.

P

prankster1590

*My soil recipe:

In Volume

40% Peat
20% Pumice
10% steamed Rice hulls
10% compost
10% Wormcastings
5% Biochar
5% Humic acid

+

Nutrient/Mineral mix. 14 grams/kg soil mix

*Nutrient/Mineral mix:

In parts mass

1 Wollastonite
0.97 Gypsum
14.03 Kelp meal
14.1 Neemseed meal
0.23 Shrimpmeal
0.1 Crab meal
0.1 Fishmeal
0.9 Potash

Mix. Keep moist for three months and use. After a month or so of growing, use a topdress consisting of a 8:1 Wormcastings: other amendments mix.
These other amendments consist of kelpmeal, fishbonemeal,crabmeal, molasses, etc.

Last edited:
7munkee

7munkee

Personally. I wouldn't have both bloodmeal and bat guano. Thats a butt-ton of nitrogen unless you plant to veg for 5 months. If you are gonna use pro mix, get the Pro Mix with Mycorrhiza.

Good luck with the grow and let us know how it turns out.

C

ColinS

Personally. I wouldn't have both bloodmeal and bat guano. Thats a butt-ton of nitrogen unless you plant to veg for 5 months. If you are gonna use pro mix, get the Pro Mix with Mycorrhiza.

Thank you very much

P

prankster1590

But yeah. If you go to flowering you can repot with a soil more tuned for flowering.

Top Bottom