Building my greenhouse

• Thread starter knnthc93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

knnthc93

Hey everyone, I decided to build a greenhouse. Problem is, I dont know where to start. few questions. Should I frame it myself with wood or buy a old car port and wrap that. I need it to be looked because people are sketch. Also what kind of plastic is best? I would like it so people cant see what kind of plants are growing. Thanks for the help

K

knnthc93

locked*. I am in southern cali so it gets real hot. What are my options for ac?

K

knnthc93

I decided to go with a hoop house. Still looking for some information on cooling the house during summer

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
cooling a GH in the summer?....in so cal? ...hmm
Im hopping you get some good answers here..

I just take the plastic off my hoop houses when it gets hot

But if you want/need to hide your plants... you might need a fence..

B

bckwht

plenty of options out there to help cool greenhouses..wont be easy in socal heat but you could find a few options to HELP cool it as much as possible and atleast get some air circulating through it

my best advice would be to youtube "greenhouse cooling options" or something like that, maybe "diy greenhouse cooling" and also just look at like farmtech or other commercial greenhouse sites just to get an idea of how they go about it..depends on how much you want to spend also

i personally like how this guy helps cool/heat his greenhouses, he actually uses a few methods but i think the geo-air or whatever would help cool it some..basically he buries about 200ft of black corrugated tubing @ about 6' or something (depth depends on your temps underground)..hooks up a squirrel cage or inline fan (not sure if that matters) to pull air from the greenhouse, the air then is forced through the 200' of tubing and then back into the greenhouse...in his region, he has to go about 6' i believe to find a constant ground temp of 55-60 degrees roughly..in the summer when you pull 100 degree air out of your greenhouse, it will travel through the 200' tubing which is insulated by 55 degree ground temps, this helps cool the hot air from the greenhouse so when the air returns to the house, it will be much cooler...also works for the winter, you draw 40 degree air through the tubing and it helps raise the air temp a lil bit when it returns to the greenhouse

i have no idea how much effort you want to invest in this greenhouse but here are a few links to some different methods

http://fiveacesbreeding.com/ambient_energy_harvesting/strawberry_greenhouse

http://www.citrusinthesnow.com/index.html

bonkia

bonkia

.45c a square foot is what I paid for it. I bought it from a local dealer I'm sure you can find it cheaper on the net.

K

knnthc93

I was just thinking about buying a old car port, Framing a door with wood and adding a harder plastic. I need it to be secure cause im in a fucked up situation. Would an intake and exhaust with a swamp be straight? I know it wont be but damn!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I was just thinking about buying a old car port, Framing a door with wood and adding a harder plastic. I need it to be secure cause im in a fucked up situation. Would an intake and exhaust with a swamp be straight? I know it wont be but damn!
If your not in a safe situation id rethink the outdoor idea BUT if you want to see what a carport(costco)greenhouse can do google 'double jj carport greenhouse grow",i cant post a link as its on a different site but this dude ALWAYS kills it year after year.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, the Costco carport grow, I know what you're talking about, fish. In fact, I've been watching Costco to see if they start selling a suitable port.

Knn, I don't know a whole lot about siting and situating greenhouses, but I believe that if you put two suitably sized fans on either end, one blowing in and one blowing out, you should have some decent ventilation going on there.

K

knnthc93

Thanks guys, Yeah I think I am just going to go with the hoop and two house fans. One in and one out. Hopefully it stays decently cool and all that jazz. I will log this process when it starts going

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh, I forgot to mention! if you're using plastic film, you might want to not completely secure it at the bottom. This will allow you to roll it up, from the bottom, if things just can't be kept cool enough with those fans. Everyone I know who has a GH says ventilation is the biggest issue, by far.

K

knnthc93

Thanks for all the help sea, I will keep that in mind. Anyone know where I can buy plastic that isn't completely see through in southern California.

Latest posts

Top Bottom