Bulb Mites?? WTF!?

• Thread starter Blue Dog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
303 DUB

303 DUB

When I had russet mites, I got Avid- and read the whole booklet cover to cover. Near the end of it, they mentioned that its effectiveness can be extended by the use of a horticultural oil- soooo, I whipped out my bottle of Azamax. Whaddaya know, it's a horti oil!

3ml Avid
60ml Azamax
1 gallon of warm water- to help it emulsify

Spray until wet. It did the russet mites dirty, maybe it can help you.

Do this three times at intervals of two weeks or so, see how it does for you.

Then, post and tell us!

hey dude, so i have just finally figured out that i have russet mites after a long painful week or trying to figure out what was going on. but now that i have the problem identified, i have a question. Did you fully get rid of your russet mite problem by using avid and azamax? i went out and bought some avid and i was told to go and buy some florimite and forbid to rotate through with the avid so the mites dont come resistant. so my question to you is, did your mite problem come back after your treatments with avid/azamax? (mainly cuz i dont want to buy the forbid or the florimite cuz its expensive as hell) thanks

killemsoftly

killemsoftly

hey guys you have my sympathies. 2 yrs ago i went to war with this f$ckin mite. had a translucent white body with a black spot on its back (saw em under 20x zooom). really hard to get rid of. currently have a mite problem. have yet to see em under zoom. hit em tonight with neem oil. where do you source your avid. can't find it here w/out pest license. sorry didn't mean to hijack. i just worry i will have to go n want to prepare. may just order seeds just in case. thinking of trying outg spaced dawg by tga.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
hey dude, so i have just finally figured out that i have russet mites after a long painful week or trying to figure out what was going on. but now that i have the problem identified, i have a question. Did you fully get rid of your russet mite problem by using avid and azamax? i went out and bought some avid and i was told to go and buy some florimite and forbid to rotate through with the avid so the mites dont come resistant. so my question to you is, did your mite problem come back after your treatments with avid/azamax? (mainly cuz i dont want to buy the forbid or the florimite cuz its expensive as hell) thanks
Post #11 will get rid of your mites..;)

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
The pics looked like hypoaspis miles to me. They're harmless. I'd say if you also had root aphids that was your problem. To kill root aphids I used merit 75 and it nuked em.

M

milkjain8

Rapid rotation, from one crop to the next, fosters survival of mites on the leftover vegetation in the soil from the previous crop. Decaying cole crops, especially cauliflower, may harbor very high bulb mite populations

ref :- autopal.net.in

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Rapid rotation, from one crop to the next, fosters survival of mites on the leftover vegetation in the soil from the previous crop. Decaying cole crops, especially cauliflower, may harbor very high bulb mite populations

ref :- autopal.net.in
Fuck! I got cabbage aphids BAD on my Brassicas 2yrs ago. Different beds, but they decimated my crop. Fuck.

K

knubs

well first off thank you Blue Dog for this thread, and thank you Seamaiden for making it a sticky.
it turns out i have bulb mites and im 99.9% sure of that.

my last crop (pineapple express) was in hydro and i noticed some white TINY bugs on my hydroton in veg. i was just getting past broad mites completely so i still treated with kontos in veg (in the water) as a systemic preventative. i hit with kontos right after seeing these strange bugs and ran it in my water for 2 days.... a few weeks later i flowered and the crop went from looking A+ top and bottom to horribly messed up with an uncureable calcium deficiency. after about 2 weeks into flower i trashed the crop not wanting to waste time.
now i have a crop of LA cheese in hydro and they look good, however, their roots are dying. a couple weeks ago all my roots were PERFECT though. once i saw the the roots dying i brewed a strong beneficial tea for my system and it didn't help. as a last resort i swapped the water and cut out the beneficials and added H202. this helped immensely, and that was two days ago. i just read this thread for the first time this morning and i knew i probably had them. so i went up to my grow and threw some potato slices down on the hydroton and waited 6 hours. i came back and saw some of the white moving dots that i saw previously on my pineapple express moving around on the potato. luckily i just bought a new good quality microscope (100-160x) so i was able to get a crystal clear look at it. it had 8 legs, a pointy head, brownish legs, and a couple brownish spots on its back. its body was 0.4mm wide and 0.6mm long.
i didn't have my digital scope with me, so i didn't get a picture, but i did find a picture on a bulb mite entomology report from ucdavis that looked identical to the one i saw 100%, so i will share that picture.

i have this thing about marijuana problems. i seem to encounter every single one. i've had all the bugs now i think.. except russet mites, which frankly don't scare me after broad mites...
i am a hater of chemicals, but i am also a user of them when it is absolutely necessary. i am not, however, someone that is so desperate to get to get a crop that i will poison myself and others. i will trash a crop before i spray my buds.
i have an arsenal of chemicals that i am prepared to use if i have to in order to save moms though. this is my bug fighting arsenal- imid, BT, ogbiowar foliar pack, neem, azamax, avid, forbid, kontos, and floramite. i hate admitting to owning a lot of those, but the harsh chemicals were certainly needed on broad mites though. those things are no joke. i'm not sure which of the miticides i own will affect a bulb mite, but i will read up on it in the morning.

my first line of defense will be to brew some ogbiowar. it knocks root aphids out, so let's see how it does for these bastards. i will definitely keep you guys posted on my bulb mite problem though, because right now it looks like there is almost no info related to these things on cannabis.
Bulbmite 07

K

knubs

i forgot i took some pics when i saw all the bugs (now known as bulb mites) on my pineapple express. they came to the surface when my dripper clogged up and the hydroton dried out a little. the plants in that pic didn't last too long
WP 20140131 0081

here are a couple pics of my pineapple express. you can see the calcium deficiency taking over. it progresses on the leaves until they die. nothing i did with the nutes/ph helped at all. the first pic is the earlier stage and the second pic is the later stage.
WP 20140202 008

WP 20140206 006

this pic is my LA cheese. the leaves are doing this on the bottom in large quantities and it's working its way up the plant.

WP 20140220 005

K

knubs

it sounds like miticides aren't going to be the most effective for bulb mites because there are currently no pesticides at all labeled for bulb mites. i will still drench and possibly flood all my plants in hydro with kontos. after that i will wait a week spray the hydroton well with avid. from there i will throw in ogbiowar tea and possibly order some hypoaspis aculeifer mites after that for flower.

for anyone looking for hypoaspis aculeifer mites, i found a source out of colorado.
http://www.beesandbugs.com/

i have potato slices on the coco in my large room that i just flipped at another location. i'm praying that it is clean. if not i'm about to get a lot of hypoaspis aculeifer mites. the plants all look great so if i do have them in that room then they arent that bad yet. so far from my infected room i've noticed that coco is not nearly as seceptable to bulb mites at a hydroton top feed system. my coco is just plain canna coco and i think the saturation chokes them out somewhat. my hydro systems i run are modified GH water farm 8 bucket systems. the bottom part of every bucket has its own air stone and is essentially rdwc. there are no bulb mites it the bottom section, they all stay in the hydroton.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
:( Wow, nothing approved for bulb mites at all??

K

knubs

yup. I read a couple bulb mite management guides that say there isn't much research that's been done and no approved chemicals.

on a positive note my big room is clean!

K

knubs

well it seems these little bastards aren't very strong. it is looking like the peroxide treatment must be killing them on my LA cheese because my roots are recovering rapidly. i just put them into flower and i think they will be ok. the plants look perfect and all my bottom leaves stopped looking sick and dying off. it's too late for me to use any chemicals, but it looks like it won't be needed anyways. i think i will get some predatory mites and let this crop ride.

also it seems like the bulb mites don't go to coco at all. i haven't identified any on a potato on any of my coco plants that are in the same room as my infested hydro plants.

K

knubs

well the place I ordered my mites from sent me the wrong ones... They don't even carry the ones I need anymore apparently... I really don't know what to do now. I am 3 weeks into flower and I can't find another source of hypoaspis aculeifers. I also have another crop I just started in hydro and two very important soil moms that are infected. I will probably brew OGBIOWAR today and add it to my hydro systems tomorrow. As for my soil moms I will take cuts off one and blast the root zone with a avid/forbid mix as a test. I hate to do it, but one of my moms is getting sicker. I'm a little lost on what to do right now..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bump, and... hrm. My head's in the wrong space to try to tackle a question like this, I'm sorry.

OGkushistein

OGkushistein

Plant Cleanse and Vital Rinse from skunk labs horticulture, will wipe out mites.. plus they have free 32 oz samples. skunklabshc.com
that's pretty cool I had no idea they could be used for mite control. it did clear up the minor PM issue i had going on... guess i could have also used it to help battle the mites in the co room a associate and I have going ordered cap's bennie's to tackle that issue

K

knubs

well I beat the bulb mites!!

First of I'm still mad that I got sent hypoaspis miles mites by mistake. The guy said they would help ,but even closing them in an evironment together didn't make a miles attack a bulb. I put them together and videotaped it and they lived in harmony

so to get rid of them I put my infected hydro system in the flower room and started a fresh system in the veg room. I kept my flower room isolated and kept the surface hydroton dry. That drove them deeper in and made it harder to be vectored by a house fly or something. Now I have a beautiful crop flowering and I see no signs of them.

Kdub

Kdub

I had a similar problem with some kind of unknown fast moving soil mites. I never did figure out what they were but I know they were very hard to kill. You could grab one in your fingers and smash him and open your fingers and he would run away. I had em crawling all over in the soil. If you would scoop up some dirt in your hand they were climbing all through it. My plants were not happy having them in there either.
Anyways, I tried hundreds of dollars of pest killers and nothing even slowed em down. Azamax, Azatrol, Bayer Insecticide for fruit and veg plants, I even tried a Floramite drench and an Avid drench (I was willing to try anything). I probably tried somethin' else I just can't remember it all. Nothing worked at all. Then I buy the $8 red bottle of Ortho Bug B Gone for vegetable gardens at Home Depot and drench with 1.5 oz per gallon and it killed the crap outta those fuckers. My plants weren't affected too badly either. I just wanted to share that. Hopefully this helps somebody cause I was getting stressed out thinking about starting over.
Cya, Kdub

Mikenite69

Mikenite69

i just got these mites in my roots organic block coco they are for sure bulb mites they are simple and easy to kill.. Here are some things that i have used that didnt work azamax drench no effect what so ever.. The cure mosquito dunks break up pieces of them and cover the entire top of your medium then ontop of the mosquito dunks i also did a drench when i watered the dunk in with insecticidal soap they are dead now no longer living........

I plan i writing roots organic about this issue with there coco i am 100000000000℅ sure i got these little fucks from a freshly expanded block of coco i would water amd see all these little scumbags float to the top of the coco i looked everywhere for what they could be i wrote it off as beneficial soil mites until my clones were growing at a snails pace and showing deficient plants then i tried everything and anything to kill them and can say the combo that i used most likely mosquito dunks were the cure to this issue..... I hope that with this post i can help others my kill off these bastards

SunGrown

SunGrown

I have not thought of using mosquito dunks at all, turns out it is BT though, so that is good to know that basically a bt soil drench beat bulb mites!

Latest posts

Top Bottom