burnt my seedling with too much fertilizer

• Thread starter homeguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

LSY, While its important to not "Burn" your seedlings its very important to make sure they have enough nutrients to start there life.

You do understand no one put ferts on them in the wild and the are genetically made up with enough food to sprout. I do know you understand this and im not trying to knock your methods, they work or you would not have brought this to my attention. I do know that they do have enough nutrients to start their life as i have no issues, well till it gets cold, damn electric heat. I am to cheap to get a heat mat, but will some day i guess, lol.

My advise is to start seedlings straight into some fairly hot potting soil (FF Ocean forest for example) then run them over with an ACT tea. Thats what I do and my seedlings are always very happy :D Fertilizing anything without a large root system with salt based fertilizers can be the end game for many a plants.

Feeding seedlings with an ACT tea (Areated compost tea) prevents them from being burned while providing very important nutrients to the plant! (Also easy to make).

Chobble

I have a experienced grower ya might even know who will not start seeds in FF, but once they get bigger he puts them in the FF. I think it comes down to what works for ya IMHO and i can see using an organic nute, but when giving any advise regarding the seedling stage, i try to keep my advise very simple. You really never hear a 10 year grower complain about a seedling, which always makes me think this person has not grown very long. This would mean they need to do some reading and growing so giving them this advise could change down the road once they are seasoned. KISS method for advise like this my friend, i feel keeps them digging for answerers. And personally i do not feed anything for 2 or 3 weeks, but like i said a seed question as to fert, i guess i try and keep it as simple for them as possible. And once they have a better grasp on their grow, they will change many types of advise. But at least they will not burn up a seedling with my 2 cents.

LSY

Chobble

Chobble

You do understand no one put ferts on them in the wild and the are genetically made up with enough food to sprout. I do know you understand this and im not trying to knock your methods, they work or you would not have brought this to my attention. I do know that they do have enough nutrients to start their life as i have no issues, well till it gets cold, damn electric heat. I am to cheap to get a heat mat, but will some day i guess, lol.

I have a experienced grower ya might even know who will not start seeds in FF, but once they get bigger he puts them in the FF. I think it comes down to what works for ya IMHO and i can see using an organic nute, but when giving any advise regarding the seedling stage, i try to keep my advise very simple. You really never hear a 10 year grower complain about a seedling, which always makes me think this person has not grown very long. This would mean they need to do some reading and growing so giving them this advise could change down the road once they are seasoned. KISS method for advise like this my friend, i feel keeps them digging for answerers. And personally i do not feed anything for 2 or 3 weeks, but like i said a seed question as to fert, i guess i try and keep it as simple for them as possible. And once they have a better grasp on their grow, they will change many types of advise. But at least they will not burn up a seedling with my 2 cents.

LSY

Which is why I say, Good soil will prevent burn and make things very simple :D Really no way to screw up. The Bacteria/Fungi in the ACT tea's are just a tid bit of advise, as they help protect the roots like an additional buffer that soil is.

I agree, Happy Frog is not the best but it does have more than just peat moss and perlite. Here are the ingredients: Composted forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, earthworm castings, bat guano, humic acid (derived from Leonardite), oyster shell and dolomite lime (for pH adjustment). IMO that is good enough to sustain a seedling for a week or two. Your plants yellowing could of been a number things. I have used FFHF lots of times and I'm using it now with no problem. Oh yeah and you said FFHF has no nutrients, what do you think the earthworm castings and bat guano are, they contain organic nutrients.

Sorry for blanket statement, Im aware that FFHF has nutrients, Not a lot though. I actually know one of there sales reps and he advises a 50/50 mix of HF and OF to get a little bit more nutes in, He said the only time you would want to go for the straight HF would be for rooting clone straight to soil; as there is a major lack of Nutrients that make the plant grow more roots, but just enough to keep it going. but HF isnt nearly as hot as most soils being my point.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've started germing in damp soil. . .skipping the paper towel altogether. Seems to work and the plants are happy. I'm using FF light warrior with some bennies mixed in when I wet the soil. Because I wet and mix the soil before potting and putting the seed in, I don't have to worry about drowning the seed. So far so good.

outwest

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Sorry for blanket statement, Im aware that FFHF has nutrients, Not a lot though. I actually know one of there sales reps and he advises a 50/50 mix of HF and OF to get a little bit more nutes in, He said the only time you would want to go for the straight HF would be for rooting clone straight to soil; as there is a major lack of Nutrients that make the plant grow more roots, but just enough to keep it going. but HF isnt nearly as hot as most soils being my point.

Gotcha, HF is definately not the best or hottest your right about that. There was a time I had a plant in HF from seed and the first 3 weeks it had some yellow leaves but after I bumped up the nutes they stopped yellowing. Maybe I'll start mixing it 50/50 like you said that sounds like a good idea.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I know a lot of people go 50/50 with OF and LW.

outwest

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I know a lot of people go 50/50 with OF and LW.

outwest

I heard of that too, but never OF and HF. Next cycle I'm using OF & HF in 2 pots then OF & LW in the other 2. I'm not conducting an experiment I just wanna see if there is any significant difference.

Chobble

Chobble

I heard of that too, but never OF and HF. Next cycle I'm using OF & HF in 2 pots then OF & LW in the other 2. I'm not conducting an experiment I just wanna see if there is any significant difference.

I like LW more then HF, but none the less, I still think a high nitrogen Soil is the best for seedlings (As long as it doesnt burn them.) You have to remember that high nitrogen also increase the amount of females! Thats something you probably want.

H

homeguy

thanx 4 all the advice guys and sry it took so long 4 me to reply
i flushed them a few times and then sat them ina bucket of water for a few hours to in case that helped
in the end around half of them survived while the rest shriveled up :(

live n learn huh...
it wasn't so bad as i had other going which were planted at a differnt time so i didnt fert with the others and some clones too which are beginngin to boom

so not a total loss but a sore lesson
thx again everyone

Top Bottom