Butane extraction and recycle system

• Thread starter Graywolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

The surface plate that I refer to, is a laboratory hot plate.

The paint pot already had two collars welded in place, and I welded the center pipe in place as a unit.

The tube coming out of the center of the paint pot is a Swage Loc tube, with a Swage Loc compression fitting to attach to the valve and the rest of the stack up. I will simply weld everything next time, so that there are no leaks possible from vibration and use.

I picked up the hose at the local refrigeration supply store. It is a 800psi working pressure, 3000psi burst hose, made of neoprene. The hose that you chose looks adequate.

O-ring unions look like this: http://www.hartindustries.com/order.html

H

hmusic

Is that valve at the top of the column really necessary? You already have the valve at the cylinder, and the valve that connects to your "tree", for tane control. Or, do you need to be able to isolate the column from the paint pot at some point during the process? The reason I ask, is because that valve (stainless) is $100.

Also is the column b16.5 1.900" OD? If so, is it welded or seamless?

Thanks!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Is that valve at the top of the column really necessary? You already have the valve at the cylinder, and the valve that connects to your "tree", for tane control. Or, do you need to be able to isolate the column from the paint pot at some point during the process? The reason I ask, is because that valve (stainless) is $100.

Also is the column b16.5 1.900" OD? If so, is it welded or seamless?

Thanks!

Yes the valve at the top of the column is necessary to isolate the soak column from the vacuum operations going on in the pot through out the process. Regardless of what the surplus valve that I have pictured sells for, a plain Jane stainless ball valve is only around $16.

The column was made from surplus Schedule 10 304 SS pipe, which is welded. Way overkill, but free.

I have never seen pressures above about 30 psi, so Schedule 5 304 would still be overkill.

H

hmusic

How are you connecting the SAE refrigerant hoses to the fittings/tree on the pot? Aren't they NPT fittings?

Also, which of the following blind flanges (1 or 2) is best for use with thisthis slip on flange?

Forgive me for being completely ignorant regarding some of this stuff. A lot of it is new to me.

Thanks again!

H

hmusic

NVM the flange questions. I bit the bullet and went with o-ring unions from Hart. I'm going to start out with 2 columns (48" & 12"). After that, it's roughly $150 to add another set to each addition column, in the future.

Also, just ordered a 5' x 1-1/2" SCH 05 304 SS for $50, since you mentioned that SCH 10 was overkill, and I also figured that it will hold a slight bit more material in the column ;)

Below is how many fluid ounces fit into a 48" (pipe) column, with varying wall thicknesses.

1 1/2" X 48" SCH 40 column = 52.9651252 FL OZ
1 1/2" X 48" SCH 10 column = 59.1229179 FL OZ
1 1/2" X 48" SCH 05 column = 65.4712164 FL OZ

I've ordered everything now, and I figure it's going to end up costing around $2,000 (including labor for welding).

Will post a new thread when the time is right. Thanks GW!

Dunge

Dunge

I am only able to buy butane fuel with odorant added.
Does this make it unusable for extractions?

H

hmusic

I am only able to buy butane fuel with odorant added.
Does this make it unusable for extractions?

No. It's makes it a far less attractive option than obtaining N-Butane, but not unusable. Just make sure to get a quality disposable that has a good reputation. Then, make sure you purge all the Mercaptan (odorant) enriched butane.

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

What formula do you use to figure out the percentage of oil taken from the material?

Graywolf

Graywolf

What formula do you use to figure out the percentage of oil taken from the material?

Good question, because we do it slightly differently than most!

We use weight of absolute oil extracted, divided by weight of starting material, after it has been dried and the sticks have been removed.

That differers from the norm, in that an absolute concentrate weighs less than a raw oleoresin extraction, because it also has the waxes removed, but the material with the stems removed, that it was extracted from is more enriched.

H

hmusic

Doing a last minute change up from the paint pot...

...to a 6" x 7" (diameter x height) Stainless 304 Schedule 10 pipe, welded to a 6" 304 blind flange or plate on the bottom, and a 6" 304 slip-on, raised-face flange on the top (with a machined groove for an o-ring), which seals up to a 304 blind flange with a raised face and a 1/4" NPT nipple in the center of the opposite face, that interfaces with the rest of the system.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Good idea! My clean sheet of paper system uses 10" Schedule 10 for the pot, to maximize surface area to depth ratio.

My lower plate is machined to accept an O-ring, which the schedule 10 pipe seals against, with clamps holding it in place.

It also has a 4" section of 10" Schedule 10 welded on the bottom of the plate, into which a heating element fits.

The top plate is also machined for an o-ring and is held in place with C-clamps.

Besides the center port in the top plate, I have five other ports, so that each valve has its own port. That provides room for explosion proof Asco valves, that can be run with a PLC logic controller.

H

hmusic

My lower plate is machined to accept an O-ring, which the schedule 10 pipe seals against, with clamps holding it in place.

Why not just weld the lower plate to the bottom, instead of paying for a groove to be machined?

It also has a 4" section of 10" Schedule 10 welded on the bottom of the plate, into which a heating element fits.

I love this idea! :pimp:

Besides the center port in the top plate, I have five other ports, so that each valve has its own port.

I'm failing to see the need for six ports on the lid.

That provides room for explosion proof Asco valves, that can be run with a PLC logic controller.

This sounds really techy and really expensive! I like it! It just seems way too expensive.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Why not just weld the lower plate to the bottom, instead of paying for a groove to be machined?

I'm failing to see the need for six ports on the lid.

This sounds really techy and really expensive! I like it! It just seems a way too expensive.

Welding the bottom plate is certanly an option, if the welds were ground smooth. By the time you make the full penetration prep and grind afterwards, the costs may be closer than you imagine.

(1) Vacuum port, (2) recovery port, (3) gauge port, (4) return line, (5) column line, (6) rupture disc line. I added the rupture disc as a safety precaution.

You are right about expensive, but as simple as the plumbing system is, those of us running the current unit, regularly forget to close a valve or grab the wrong valve occasionally. A PLC wouldn't make that mistake.

I want it to be able to be run with either automatic or manual valves, so folks have the option.

H

hmusic

By the time you make the full penetration prep and grind afterwards, the costs may be closer than you imagine.

I'll take your word for it. I'm going o-ring downstairs too.

A PLC wouldn't make that mistake.

But how much would it cost (including valves and controller)?

so folks have the option.

What folks? Are you building these to sell now? If so, I wish I would've known before I started my project!

What's your take on adding a sight glass?

X

Xtraxt

This may be a usable option for you guys. (O-Ring grooves not pictured :headbang)

Extension
Graywolf

Graywolf

I'll take your word for it. I'm going o-ring downstairs too.

But how much would it cost (including valves and controller)?

What folks? Are you building these to sell now? If so, I wish I would've known before I started my project!

What's your take on adding a sight glass?

About $2K to automate.

When I opened Skunk Pharm Research, LLC last month, I leased out the butane extraction and reclaim system out to another associated Oregon LLC doing extractions for hire. They aren't keeping up with demand and have asked for another machine, preferably automated, and another Oregon LLC has asked to lease an automated one to do extractions for hire.

I also have a purchase request for a machine from another out of state customer, but our company charter says that we will not be involved in interstate commerce, during these troubled times with the feds.

I am still floundering getting my Auto Cad program up and running again, so I can turn out some decent prints. I currently await batteries for my old retired laptop, which has 32 bit Auto Cad 2002 LT on it, as it looks faster than retraining my self to use the full blown AC 2011 on my new 64 bit computer.

I considered a sight glass and decided it wasn't required and adds undesirable complications. I can tell what is going on in the collection pot by the pressure/vacuum gauge and keep track of the approximate volumes by timing the flows.

It is easy to tell when liquid butane reaches the top of a column being flooded, because the vent tube suddenly turns ice cold, instead of just being cool. If it takes 15 seconds for the butane to fully flood the column the first time, I use 15 seconds to judge when I have again passed another full column volume through the material.

I only pass another volume through the column, when the collection pot pressure falls below 10" Hg, which happens pretty quickly, as the majority of the pumping time is spent savaging the last little bit of butane.

H

hmusic

About $2K to automate.
I'll keep that in mind if ever there comes a time/need for one.

When I opened Skunk Pharm Research, LLC last month, I leased out the butane extraction and reclaim system out to another associated Oregon LLC doing extractions for hire. They aren't keeping up with demand and have asked for another machine, preferably automated, and another Oregon LLC has asked to lease an automated one to do extractions for hire.

Impressive. But, I'm not surprised.

I also have a purchase request for a machine from another out of state customer, but our company charter says that we will not be involved in interstate commerce, during these troubled times with the feds.

I totally understand, and I actually am happy to be building it myself. I like the sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

I considered a sight glass and decided it wasn't required and adds undesirable complications. I can tell what is going on in the collection pot by the pressure/vacuum gauge and keep track of the approximate volumes by timing the flows.

Makes sense to me.

Can you please shed some light on the hose adapters you're using?

Thanks again Graywolf! This thread is a game changer and should be sticky'd or something!

Latest posts

Top Bottom