Butane extractor/recycler

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

I was thinking of the cost of this system....

125.00 in materials (metal, gaskets, sight gauge, pressure gauge etc)
500.00 at the very most for a brand new refrigerant recovery unit
(you could easily buy for less but may have to rebuild it, mine cost
200.00 but within a year I had to rebuild it for 100 bucks)
100.00 for recovery tank
30.00 for the lines

you could (with a few skills) put this together yourself for about 755.00 and quite possibly quite a bit less.

Compare that to commercial units which run 4300.00

What the commercial units do though is use no electricity.
But....I can also run this unit from start to finish in under an hour and at current electricity prices is under a buck.

Metal workers of the world unite hahahaha

twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

I need to find someone with skillz :) cool unit. I am not sure a refridgerator thing is necessary is it? Just use the recovery tank right? Maybe put some valves on if you wanted, for a hand vacume on the "cheaper"

budboy299

budboy299

So on the bottom of the column, I put a screen and coffee filter...

budboy299

budboy299

butane is flowing in through the top....vaccuum is sucking it out of the bottom reservoir leaving yummy goodness.

I love watching the butane boil off in the sight glass :)

budboy299

budboy299

and from this super crummy shake along with a few sugar leaves...comes this.....

and yes this was from about 5 runs of shake through it.

budboy299

budboy299

Oops sorry....last pic was of the waste shake I ran.

this is the yummy goodness. 86 grams so far but I still have about half of the shake still left to run....Enjoy!

budboy299

budboy299

Done the run, and after final purge (vacuum and warmth) the tally is 158 grams.

Winter months will pass by quicker with this on hand!

rusty

rusty

Very nice yield!

Did u end up using 2 tanks? Or just the one with the pump?

Also, how the hell did u unscrew the stem in the 1lb tank? I tried putting a notch in a ink pen tube and turning it that way, it just spun… didnt seem to be threaded…

budboy299

budboy299

Rusty, there is a pressed in hard plastic ring which can be pried out. (I used a screw as it was handy)

Then there is a tiny O-ring which will slip out.

finally there is the stem valve...which if it spins means that it should already be unscrewed by you.

hope this helps -BB

Oh and with the large unit like this..I use a recovery pump and one tank. Much quicker that way. Small extractions you could just use the temperature to transfer the butane between tanks.

rusty

rusty

Sweet, thanks for the info (again :sad0071:), I'll give that a try once I get home

M

MTgrower

I was thinking of the cost of this system....

125.00 in materials (metal, gaskets, sight gauge, pressure gauge etc)
500.00 at the very most for a brand new refrigerant recovery unit
(you could easily buy for less but may have to rebuild it, mine cost
200.00 but within a year I had to rebuild it for 100 bucks)
100.00 for recovery tank
30.00 for the lines

you could (with a few skills) put this together yourself for about 755.00 and quite possibly quite a bit less.

Compare that to commercial units which run 4300.00

What the commercial units do though is use no electricity.
But....I can also run this unit from start to finish in under an hour and at current electricity prices is under a buck.

Metal workers of the world unite hahahaha

What pump are you using (brand/ model)? The commercial unit you are talking about (I'm guessing the TE 700) also suggest using "a rotary evaporator coupled to a chilled vacuum chamber especially designed for 100% recovery 100% of the time".

When I called to see when this would be available, they just said they decided that if you want one you can buy one and hook it up yourself.

They do, however, claim their "patent pending solvent recirculation filtration system for cleaning odors and colorations from your diluted extracts" will be available from Tamisium whenever they finish it.

Anyhow, what would a good pump be. The $500 one you mention in the materials list. I want that one.

Thanks.

budboy299

budboy299

Hiya MT, this unit seems a great deal for the price...

325.00 brand new including the free shipping.

I personally use a Pro-set recovery machine by CPS and it works great. BUT...I am sure they are all pretty comparable. If not they would end up out of business.

Later this week I will post up full plans for the butane extractor that I built. That way more people can have fun with this.

Splifferous

Splifferous

@budboy299: just wanted to give you direct props on that brilliant design! you are truly inspirational! in fact, your post on that was *the* reason i signed up on these forums.

keep up the good fight!

Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

Budboy, mad props and those designs will be much appreciated when you have time :)

Top Bottom