cable company shut down my internet for rf noise

• Thread starter JAHGYDI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JAHGYDI

i lost my internet access yesterday. had the cable guy come to my aparment today to fix the problem. he told me that they turned it off cause all the noise coming from my apartment. as hes checking all my cable wires his meter is going off the charts so i go turn off my brand new lumatek ballast in my tent and he asked what i just did. told him i turned off the light on my fish tank.

should i be worried?

ill run my lights at night now cause the cable company wont come out and check for rf noise at night.

is there anything i can do to help with this issue?

H

Headach

Exchange your lumatek ballast for another unit. Normally it is not suppose to be interfering with other signals.

wonka

wonka

the rf noise is detected through the cable line and signal sent back to the cable company shuting internet down.. thats what the cable guy said to my buddy as the same thing happened with his new lumatek.. almost same story but when he went out to get something from his truck to tighten the connections on the lines in town house, my buddy went up strairs to turn off the ballest n fans cause he was going up strairs.. after he tightened everything up, so he thought, his meter was fine.. next day my buddy returned his lumatek to our local shop for a magnetic ballest... i would do the same for peace of mind

sky high

sky high

Same thing happened here a few months ago....

Coupla things I learned from the cable guy who came to my place....who said he didn't smoke but had no problem with weed/etc...

I too..suspected my digis. I have both lumatek and quantum, fwiw.....

the guy was ALL over my house. I tried to steer him from the grow room but the main cable comes into the bedroom where I (at the time) was finishing up 12 plants so he ended up seeing my tent and checking the cable....

RF was all over the board.... 5khz (I think) and up. I wenmt out to my grow and got a lumatek and a quantum and brought em in to the living room and plugged em in to see if his meter went nuts. It DIDN'T.

Come to find out...at least at my house...the frequencies surrounding the ballast operation (60khz, I believe) we noisy...but NOT the problem.

what WAS the problem was the 20 year old cable wiring in the house...pre-internet/data transmission....and probably the cheapest crap the contractor could buy. After 20 years, the cable guy said it was just shot....and that it was the cable ITSELF sending the RF back into the system..not the ballasts.

just thought I'd mention what happened to me. I ended up running a new drop to my TV myself (to keep yet ANOTHER person from showing up @ the house) and that FIXED the problem.

BTW....the cable guy said that they scan for RF AT NIGHT in my area....not during the daytime..... again...FWIW.

good luck all

s h

Illmind

Illmind

I never touch digi. And indeed they scan at night when RF noise is at a minimum. And you my friend I would shut it down and relocate. That cable guy seems suspicious and I know a dude who works for a cable company and the company gives them bonuses for tips leading to busts. Tread softly..

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

I never touch digi. And indeed they scan at night when RF noise is at a minimum. And you my friend I would shut it down and relocate. That cable guy seems suspicious and I know a dude who works for a cable company and the company gives them bonuses for tips leading to busts. Tread softly..

that sounds a tad bit dale gribble-ish?

really?

Illmind

Illmind

Nope. They told him this during his training and also told him what to look for. Tell me it's BS all you want I don't see why a friend who works for the cable company would tell me this if it were a lie. Sounds reasonable to because they are always going in and out of houses. Was I in the training sesions with him no. Do I believe him hell ya.

L

Loudblunts

Same thing happened here a few months ago....

Coupla things I learned from the cable guy who came to my place....who said he didn't smoke but had no problem with weed/etc...

I too..suspected my digis. I have both lumatek and quantum, fwiw.....

the guy was ALL over my house. I tried to steer him from the grow room but the main cable comes into the bedroom where I (at the time) was finishing up 12 plants so he ended up seeing my tent and checking the cable....

RF was all over the board.... 5khz (I think) and up. I wenmt out to my grow and got a lumatek and a quantum and brought em in to the living room and plugged em in to see if his meter went nuts. It DIDN'T.

Come to find out...at least at my house...the frequencies surrounding the ballast operation (60khz, I believe) we noisy...but NOT the problem.

what WAS the problem was the 20 year old cable wiring in the house...pre-internet/data transmission....and probably the cheapest crap the contractor could buy. After 20 years, the cable guy said it was just shot....and that it was the cable ITSELF sending the RF back into the system..not the ballasts.

just thought I'd mention what happened to me. I ended up running a new drop to my TV myself (to keep yet ANOTHER person from showing up @ the house) and that FIXED the problem.

BTW....the cable guy said that they scan for RF AT NIGHT in my area....not during the daytime..... again...FWIW.

good luck all

s h

exactly!!!

psfftttt if the cable guy or somebody comes a knocking and says some shit like that or you got hella rf noise coming from your house... give him the 'eh' face and tell him 'and?'

this is just like law and dealing with the cops. know what you are dealing with period.

back in the day, i may would have shit my pants... but as much geek and gadget shit i have now (that gives off noise).... i'd be hard pressed NOT to tell him to lick the left corner of my scrutom if he even mentioned some type of lighting

i mean sure enough to the OP (original poster) the shit CAN happen... but its soo much shit that can give off noise now and days.. like S H said...most of the time old ass wiring and cheap connectors and shit. we are in a better age...

you can also 'shield' the thing yourself if you are really worried

J

JAHGYDI

do they have to be physicaly in the area to scan? he said rf was getting sent into the system messing with my neighbors around me thats why they turned it off so i would have to call so they would come out. i have a couple new neighbors that movedin around me. i was just to worried about my tent to listen carefully to what he was saying. are all lumateks like this? THIS IS A PERSONAL GROW AND IM LEGAL. just dont want anybody i dont know in my apartment again.

lollipopman

lollipopman

the only way its messing with the cable is if u have some thing loose... IE.. connector behind your tv ... what he needs to do is cut off your cable to see if hes still picking it up witch he still will sense its your ballast. that should tell him that it has nothing to do with the cable. next he needs to see if noise is coming out of your lines back into the system.. now if he does witch i doubt it he can hook up a high pass filter to stop the ingress back into their system..

ive been a cable guy for the past 10 years...lol

lollipopman

lollipopman

some company's do their ride out at night cause of the seeker they use... some of the older seekers you cant go over 35mph so its easier to do it at night less traffic

S

SUPERBABY

As a former cable guy, I can tell you that if you had new cable in ur apartment building that is shielded correctly, it wouldn't matter what kind of ballast you had...

I used to work in an area that has a 400 foot radio tower (Twin Peaks in San Fran)..

You wanna talk RF? 99% of the time, we replaced old cable with our new stuff and bang..problems solved

Top Bottom