• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

California can lead the Nation out of this Depression by legalizing Marijuana
By Dave Stancliff/For the Times-Standard
Posted: 03/08/2009 01:28:43 AM PST

A grainy black-and-white film fills the dark room. The audience shifts in their seats nervously as a young woman walks into her room and looks in the mirror and suddenly starts to scream! The words “Marijuana Madness” appear on the top of the screen.

The myths are starting to lift like fog dissipating in the light of day. The lies and racist reasons for making marijuana illegal are dropping out of the sky like a steady rain, forming puddles destined to dry up.

Californians, and the other states that allow medical marijuana, have received some good news. Assemblyman Tom Ammiano's landmark bill (AB 390) to tax and regulate marijuana just like alcohol and tobacco is being considered by state lawmakers.

This is a legitimate effort to legalize marijuana. The bill would make recreational use of marijuana legal. Users would have to be 21 years old, the same as for alcohol and tobacco. It wouldn't change the medical marijuana guidelines for those involved in that growing industry, according to Ammiano.

Organizations like NORML, who sponsored the bill, have fought for years to achieve the present level of tolerance for pot smokers in America. A recent Zogby Poll said 44 percent of Americans would support taxing and regulating pot. (See www.norml.org ) A February CBS/New York Times poll reported 41 percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana.

For decades our famous “Emerald Triangle” has produced some of the best marijuana in
the world, easily establishing a reputation as “the kind” for experienced smokers. The different strains, with imaginative names, are consistently rated top-notch in worldwide marijuana competitions like the famous “Cannabis Cup” (now in its 22nd year) sponsored by High Times magazine and held in Amsterdam.

I can see tourism picking up for the entire state, and especially for the Emerald Triangle. “Green Tours” would have a new meaning. More importantly, legalizing marijuana would put an end to the Mexican cartels who infest our state and national forests with their huge destructive grows. Cartels are about making money, and if they lose their market, they'll move on.

If there was any one event that prompted the Obama administration to stop Justice Department raids on medical marijuana clubs, it may have been the Ken Estes story. Estes, a quadriplegic and single parent in Contra Costa County, was the target of repeated raids (after President Obama came to office) that not only closed his business, but also took his car and money and threatened to take his home and children. The outrage that arose from this incident reverberated throughout America.

What happened to Estes, who contributed to society by creating jobs and paying taxes, seemed to strike a note loud enough for the new Attorney General, Eric Holder, to hear. He told the press that the Justice Department will honor President Obama's campaign promise to stop the raids on state legal medical marijuana clubs.

According to NORML, Californians consume $1-$2 billion worth of medical marijuana per year, enough to generate some $100 million in sales tax. According to a state analysis the tax would net $1.3 billion a year if this legislation passes.

There's no way to tell how many California residents smoke pot, but according to the Zogby Poll “Fifty-eight percent of respondents residing on the West Coast agree that cannabis should be taxed and legally regulated like alcohol and cigarettes.”

The failing national economy makes headlines every day across America. Wouldn't it be nice to lead the country out of this depression with an unprecedented economic recovery in California? We could be the model and other states would follow with similar legislation.

California could once again become the nation's leader in new industries, creating jobs in every sector. Our currently illegal crops could also be used for hemp clothing, oil, and the other byproducts of this bountiful plant. Jobs would be created and we'd save money in so many ways.

Betty Yee, who chairs the state Board of Equalization, which collects the sales tax in California, is in favor of this landmark legislation.

Right now Californians pay $170 million a year for arrests, prosecution and imprisonment of pot offenders, according to statistics released from NORML. Poof! That would go up in smoke, and reduce the prison population as well.

Right now there's talk among lawmakers of an early release program for as many as 58,000 prisoners in the next couple of years because of overcrowding and fiscal shortfalls. There are plenty of good reasons to support AB 390.

As It Stands, it's time to legalize marijuana and jumpstart California's sagging economy into the 21st century.

Source:

true grit

true grit

I'm still pissed about how little the news media is actually discussing the income but are so heavily harping on availability to children and youth. They are not from California and do not understand that the nation's response is not the view of Californians.

And these (insert group of mothers/fathers/parents against drugs) that have no factual information about their side/view, just that this would somehow make pot available for their child on the east coast- are killing me. I can't even watch these stupid reports any more.

In all- you folks in Cali are kicking ass, please keep it up as we are making more ground than ever!

M

MagicDro

Great article!

Too bad other states aren't joining in. Glad California's state officials are winning the good fight!:yes

O

Obsoul33t

i for one do not want to see cali legalize it . their whole motive of taxation sounds bad to me .

why should i have to pay for something that grows freely

taxation leads to oversight , regulations , testing ,inspection and more agencies with their hands out .

the state wants $800 per lb grown , what no one has said yet is what other agencies are going to tack on a fee .

i see fees and taxes getting out of hand really fast

decrim is a far better way to legalize it . and the system in place at least in cali now that the feds policy is not to intervene is where i hope it stays .

we all should be leary of anyone wanting to pull more money out of our pockets ... people are so blinded by the thought of total legalization they forget the motive behind this ... they want more of your money .

taxing pot will not save the economy

one thing comes to mind is the cali state lottery , people voted for the lottery because it was supposed to fund our schools . cali schools are in a bad bad financial situation . where is all this lottery money at ?

D

doubleds

i for one do not want to see cali legalize it . their whole motive of taxation sounds bad to me .

taxation leads to oversight , regulations , testing ,inspection and more agencies with their hands out .

the state wants $800 per lb grown , what no one has said yet is what other agencies are going to tack on a fee .

decrim is a far better way to legalize it . and the system in place at least in cali now that the feds policy is not to intervene is where i hope it stays .

we all should be leary of anyone wanting to pull more money out of our pockets ... people are so blinded by the thought of total legalization they forget the motive behind this ... they want more of your money .

one thing comes to mind is the cali state lottery , people voted for the lottery because it was supposed to fund our schools . cali schools are in a bad bad financial situation . where is all this lottery money at ?

ob wants his cake and eat it to !!! lololol

hubcap

hubcap

......that requires no processing other than drying, to be enjoyed.

tobacco, beer (hops), opium (poppies) cocaine (cocoa), etc all require some other form of processing.

pot...

you pick dry and smoke. (tobacco, too, but, not in todays world. they gotta add MORE chems to KEEP you addicted....etc etc...)

that being said, i agree, if legalized, taxes would be in order, BUT, they SHOULD be lower than those of tobacco and alcohol. it requires no refinement. nor causes any enviornmental impact if grown natures way.

hubcap

hubcap

i wonder where the patients stand on that?

raid after raid...

dont sound all that soild to me.
(thats where it matters. on FEDERAL levels. states laws, apparently, dont mean squat...but...we got our change...lets see it materialize)

decriminalization would, imo, be a better optie.
that way...you get taxes AND you get the FINES.

thoughts?

hubcap

hubcap

WOW
whered u get that $800/lb number from?

also, decriminalization, and full blown legalization are two totally different animals.
just RELAX the laws already in place. nationwide. not just 12 or 13 states.....weed grows everywhere the weather allows a good season. not just california.

this way, theres still risk keeping control of the supply, which in turn will keep demand high and everyone wins without altering their life as drastic as a full blown legal policy would, imo, of course.
might even help the texican border out in these times...

hubcap

hubcap

neptune...
you sound pretty hip to it all...
you got links to such info we might find of use?
(regarding a tax structure or where u got these estimated tax numbers from?)

S

S1CK0hh

Here are some of the finer points of ab 390, It all sounds good except for (d) and (f) which are too hard to ignore.We should reject this bill if (d) and (f) stay in ab390.

BILL NUMBER: AB 390 INTRODUCED
BILL TEXT
INTRODUCED BY Assembly Member Ammiano
FEBRUARY 23, 2009
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this,
the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act, to do all of
the following:
(a) To legalize marijuana and its derivatives.
(b) To remove all existing civil and criminal penalties for adults
21 years of age or older who cultivate, possess, transport, sell, or
use marijuana, without impacting existing laws proscribing dangerous
activities while under the influence of marijuana, or certain
conduct that exposes younger persons to marijuana.
(c) To ensure that the proper regulatory apparatus for marijuana
sale and cultivation is ready when permitted by the federal
government.
(d) To raise funds and to discourage substance abuse by the
imposition of a substantial fee on the legal sale of marijuana, the
proceeds of which will support drug education and awareness.
(e) To impose a set of regulations and laws concerning marijuana
comparable to those imposed on alcohol.
(f) To impose substantial fines for violations of the
noncommercial regulations and laws concerning marijuana, which will
be applicable until and after commercial marijuana is available by
virtue of future changes in federal law.
(g) To prevent state and local agencies from supporting any
prosecution for federal or other crimes relating to marijuana that
are inconsistent with those provided in this bill.
(h) To exclude from the fees and regulations imposed by this act
marijuana that is for uses other than smoking or ingestion, and to
exclude medicinal marijuana from fees under these provisions.
(i) To encourage the federal government to reconsider its policies
concerning marijuana, and to change its laws accordingly.

This is just a portion you can read it all at
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_390_bill_20090223_introduced.html

Four2Zero

Four2Zero

As I understand it, you can grow your own with no tax. You will only be taxed on the sale, 50/oz. If you grow your own, there is no tax and the bill clearly says decriminalization for cultivation. That works for me. Thats similar to wine and beer.. you can make it you just cant sell it. The people who are caregiver/growers that provide to clubs will have to pay for a permit to sell. Im assuming that resellers will tax only once at the final sale to the end user so to speak and manufacturers will probably use a reseller certificate to sell to distributors wholesale. I dont see anything bad about the plan. We need financial help here in Cal badly and this is a great opportunity to legalize weed. If you want to be a producer, and you are upset about 50/oz, think about how many more venues trhere will be... like liquor stores and markets etc. You just build it into your cost model and lets face it the product has a huge profit margin espescially when grown on qty.. I dont think you will have a problem building a profitable business plan given that. Change upsets people but this is GOOD change... Im just hoping it happens.

C

coldnorth

i think its crazy what some of you are saying, about it not beeing good.
i understand ur point no doubt about it but still....
id be jumping with joy if this happend where i live. man id rather have to tax what i sell and be able to grow without needing to risk jail for some weed like today!
getting a record for life, affecting work, friends and family.
just my 2..

S

S1CK0hh

If you are not charged a substantial fee for personal growth, then I have no problem with the sales tax as long as it is reasonable, should be no more/less than alcohol IMHO

T

Time

the state wants $800 per lb grown , what no one hasaid yet is what other agencies are going to tack on a fee .

Spot one my friend.

The gov does not deserve to be relieved of debt, they deserve to be relieved of office. We should not allow them to tax stoners.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

so from what I'm getting of this, if you're a legit med patient and want to grow and smoke your own, no tax no fee as long as your paperwork is legit. UNLESS, you want to sell your extra to the clubs, which is a 50 buck a zip tax, and there will be those willing to absorb that fee for recreational smoking.............if you want to sell a friend a zip, better stay off the radar or the irs gonna want it's pound of flesh.....that pretty much it?

so when's the first "official"cali 420 cup going to be? and has amsterdam figured out how badly screwed they are when this does happen nationwide?

T

TheNman

I'm not sure what the point of this article was!

Was it to embarrass potheads publicly, once again, by stating utter incoherent ramblings about pot saving the US?

Sorry, but while i am for legalization and minimum taxation on traded goods of marijuana, a few billion here or there will do nothing!

I'm not gonna bore all of you with a bunch of economical jargon, but if you want to understand even a fraction of the problems your country has today, i'd suggest downloading a doc called Enron: The smartest guys in the room.
It mainly focuses on their manipulation of the energy markets of Cali, but it also shows you just how corrupt the US business sector has become.

Also, if anyone's interested is learning about how and why the US and the world are falling apart economically, then i suggest you google and sign up(free) for Weiss Money Markets.
http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/

I've been following them for over 2yrs now.
They're always 6 months ahead of mainstream economic resources and right 90% of the time.

S

Slick

I agree with most of what has been said here but alot has been missed I think. I agree with the legalization of pretty much everything as I'm a great believer in free will but to think that weed can lead Cali or any other State/Country in the West out of this economic downturn is crazy to put it mildly. Here is my thoughts on why....

In the Western world Economic and Political systems have developed in such a way that Governments are forced to focus on the short term. While the current economic strategy may appear to be logical (from a short term perspective) the US-led economy is actually damaging and in some cases destroying the enviromental and social systems required for long term prosperity; the flaws in our economic system are actually driving unsustainability.

One of our economic system flaws is the failure to incorporate externalities into price, another being the failure to consider limits to growth, and probably the biggest of all being the under-valuing of future generations due to time-value-of-money concepts.

Electricity generation is one example of an industry which fails to incorporate externalities into price. We all know the drawbacks of this industry, nuclear waste, burning coal, acid rain, damaged rain forests, and lots of other negative impacts. These are the real costs paid by us (society) that are not included in the price of electricity which in turn creates an illusion that electricity generation is cheap when in fact this is anything but the truth. This "subsidization" causes vast over consumption and signifigantly drives humanity's unsustainable state.

Failure to consider limits to growth is another of the major flaws in our system. In nature plants and forests grow and then level off at the points where they have reached a sustainable balance with those systems which share the same space or resources as they do forming a natural economy. The idea that a business or national economy should grow indefinitely in a world of finite resources is illogical and highly unrealistic.

Time-value-of-money is one of those basics of economic concept. It's based on the idea that resources are worth more today than they ever will be at any point in the future. This makes sense from a reductionistic perspective because it is better to have resources, such as food, today rather than in the future. However, this concept is illogical from a systems perspective because it says people and resources beyond 50 to 100 years are worthless. Therefore, protecting them would be a foolish economic decision. This concept often causes business and political leaders to act as if the people they love the most, their grandchildren, are worthless.

The overall goal of any economic, political or financial system should be to maximize the well-being of society over the long-term and we have too many flaws in our political, financial and economic systems which contradict that goal completely.

In short unless the West gets a grip of itself we are all up shit creek without a paddle....

End Rant. :giggle

Top Bottom