California LightWorks "Solarstorm" LED Light

• Thread starter SSHZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SSHZ

Anyone look into these yet? ....... They have begun to run ads in High Times. 800 watts, and 30 watts UVB light for resin production, 5 watt LED's with 6 band switchable spectrum, USA made with 2 year warranty. $1999 price tag and $50 shipping charge.

And they look awful pretty too....

http://www.californialightworks.com/

T

tenthirty

Price is high. You don't get 800w out of that system, maybe 600.
Looks pretty though.

K11NG

K11NG

Yeah spoke to these guyes and they agreed to send me one for 1050 under there customer feedback program. I let them know the reults and if I'm not satisfied full refund or keep the light for half price. Debating on trying it out but my lights are working well and I can get a good deal being that I own 6 of them. Still weighing my options

S

SSHZ

Here's a picture of the unit. Here's the spec's address. I'd appreciate someone with some knowledge about these to comment about the details. Thanks.

T

tenthirty

160 diode at 5w = 800w of diodes.
Max power draw 5.5A at 120v = 660w

Seems correct!

6 different colors, but 8 drivers. Hmmm, I wonder what the 2 extra drivers are for?

If I were to want to drop 2k on one of these, I would call them up and find out who made the leds and what bin they are.

This is like buying a car. You should check out all of the details!!

V

Vanilla Smasher

Looking sweet indeed.. but at 1999$ I guess it's not for the personal use grower unfortunately. Would have loved to have one.

V

Vanilla Smasher

Does anyone even know if they are for real? They ask for payment via paypal and have no Visa or Mastercard option. I did a BBB search and nothing came up.
The securesale logo or whatever is owned by George Mekhtarian.
Who is a businessman and probably doesnt guarantuee much but he does hold 13 patents related to LED tech filed between 1971-2010.
Checking further he holds patents in several if not most of the well known and some not so known LED panel retailers.

I smell a lot bullshit going on here.. Pricefixing would be one, buying up the poor independent another. And meanwhile everything that sells, any light means money to that guy.
..Or maybe I'm wrong and need a hug.

joeca1i

joeca1i

its 2k + tax, plus shipping,stop it with the 1999.Who thought of the 99 shit.19.99 no 20 bucks plus tax.

S

SSHZ

I got an email a few days ago offering me 1 light and delivery for $1049 with an understanding that I could return it after a grow if I was unhappy. Part of the deal was I'd have to post the grow on HIS website. He told me he's been shipping the lights for 2 weeks already. I still can't find 1 posting of a grow with one of these. Initially I wanted one- now something just doesn't feel right. I want a business to deal with for $1K- not a "George". What happens if he moves or his mom kicks him out of the garage? I'm fucked!

V

Vanilla Smasher

My point exactly.. I want Visa and Verisign oh and a registered company. Not Paypal and whatever that other thing was supposed to be.

O

organic4life

This led looks impressive but i would wait for some feedback on them first . I have a couple diffrent led systems and some work better then others

W

willy led wonka

i agree,,,,however, someone has to be the guinea pig...lol.

J

JonathonStrange

Just got ht and that is an eye catching light. Have you had anymore contact with them? If he's in mom's basement at least the thing had personal attention when he made it.

S

SSHZ

Yes, they emailed me yesterday reminding me to pay the paypal bill so they can send the light......... I guess only time will tell if these are the nuts or not.

S

SSHZ

In all fairness, I'm posting a response made to me by the owner of the company. As mentioned above, his name is George Mekhtarian and he seems to be a stand up guy. Enclosed is part of the email he sent me today:

"I wanted to follow up on your inquiry re. SolarStorm and the posts on the forum.

I’ve been following the thread on THC farmer with some amusement but recently I’ve noticed the discussion getting off track for all the wrong reasons. We fully expected people to question the merits of our product. There has been plenty of skepticism about LEDs. As you personally experienced with Procyons, LEDs in the past overpromised and under-delivered.

What we did not expect was for people to question the legitimacy of our business. I guess we’re new to online retailing and we’re learning and I welcome your feedback on how we can do a better job.

First, I want to tell you a little about who we are:

My company MWW Inc. has been around for over 13 years. We employ around 20 people at our 10K sq. ft. facility in Canoga Park. We have manufactured LED based grow lights for major distributors such as C.A.P. or R&M supply (randmsupply.com) as the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for over three years. Our product was branded as XtremeLED and is currently sold at major hydroponics stores.

So, no I don’t work out of my Mom’s garage ;-) But even if I did, people on THC farmer should support the little guy over the big online LED stores that import grow lights from China. Keep in mind that Apple, HP, Microsoft were all companies that started at their family’s garage…LOL..

When we completed the development of the SolarStorm and SolarFlare products earlier this year, we knew we had breakthrough products. So we needed to market them directly to consumers for many reasons, not the least of which being that we wanted to get a direct channel of communication with the growers to continuously innovate. Hence the new brands and new company name, California LightWorks.

We were exhibiting at the Indoor Growing Expo in Long Beach last month and had a few people with light measurement devices come by and compare the SolarStorm on display to StealthGrow’s large 1250HO $3,500 unit and they said ours registered higher on their meter. From the specs, StealthGrow 1250HO actual power draw is 680W and ours is around 675W. In addition, of course, SolarStorm has UVB and no other LED fixture has that.

We truly believe we have a breakthrough product that’s made in the USA and is very competitively priced at $1999. My background is Electrical Engineering and I have designed and implemented the SolarStorm working closely with local growers. Everything from the circuit boards to the sheet metal cover is made at our factory in Canoga Park. We use the best, highest powered LED emitters we can find: We get them from LedEngin a silicon valley based company.

As I said, we did expect people to be skeptical about the merits of our product and that’s why we’re offering the Grower Feedback Program. We can’t make money selling the SolarStorm at $1000. But we need to put units in grower’s hands so we can build collateral and street credit.

FYI, the feedback from this program is being posted on www.ledgrowlightforum.com This forum is run by an independent guy based in the North East that who also runs myhydroponicgardening.com. We only have 3 people posting feedback so far but we expect many more shortly.

I really would like to win people like you over so we can turn the discussion on the forums around from “Who in the world would buy from these guys?” to “Does the SolarStorm really work?” because we already know the answer to the latter question is affirmative.

So short of sending you a SolarStorm unit for free (I wish I could do that) please tell me how I can convince you that we’re for real. By the way we chose to go with PayPal because of their strong buyer protection policy. If you prefer a different form of payment that makes you feel more comfortable, we can arrange that.

Thanks. Please consider posting some of these points on THC farmer. And I really hope you join our Grower Feedback Program."

As you can see, he answered many of the questions raised here and in private messages I was sent. He feels he has developed a superior product and is trying to get it out to growers so the word spreads. Don't let my negativity dissuade you away from these- they may be the answer we've been waiting for!!!!!

Top Bottom