Calling all experts!

• Thread starter inthegorge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tank333

Tank333

If you have to ask ...... you don't know
If you don't know..... you shouldn't do it.

This is seriously the advice you have for her?? God, did the title of this thread get changed to "Please, tell me how horribly I'm going to fail!!" ???

As a wise little rabbit's mother said: "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all..."

Like this awesome lady has already said several times, she's NOT turning back. If you don't have any of the type of advice she's looking for, then why even say anything???

How about, instead of telling her she's gonna crash and burn if she even attempts this, mabye you could have advised her to not attempt to fill the entire space at the beginning? Start with 1/4 of the space being used and work up from there...

Why be so damn negative about someone else's ambitiousness? Did your ambition get squashed like that when you first started out? Or did you try to "go for broke" and fell flat on your face? Whatever the source for your cynicism, it's definitely not welcome here.

D

Dulce

This is seriously the advice you have for her?? God, did the title of this thread get changed to "Please, tell me how horribly I'm going to fail!!" ???

As a wise little rabbit's mother said: "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all..."

Like this awesome lady has already said several times, she's NOT turning back. If you don't have any of the type of advice she's looking for, then why even say anything???

How about, instead of telling her she's gonna crash and burn if she even attempts this, mabye you could have advised her to not attempt to fill the entire space at the beginning? Start with 1/4 of the space being used and work up from there...

Why be so damn negative about someone else's ambitiousness? Did your ambition get squashed like that when you first started out? Or did you try to "go for broke" and fell flat on your face? Whatever the source for your cynicism, it's definitely not welcome here.

I'm not gonna argue with you since you obviously don't know what it takes to set up a warehouse either. The "advice" I posted earlier is the most honest thing that can be said.
I can't cook to save my life, but would it sound smart if came on here posting that I was gonna dump 25-90k into starting my own restaurant? Yeah I used to bake a cake or two like 7 years ago, so does that qualify me to go all in on a major build? This is just a hypothetical, but with restaurants it happens all the time.... grand opening today, bankrupt 6 months later.

Seriously I've done this (a couple of times) and it is HARD WORK and MAJOR MONEY.
I mean seriously:
*are you gonna pay rent while you are doing seed runs trying to find moms?
*gonna use clones? Do you know how to quarantine?
*know how to treat for spider mites, broad mites, fungus gnats, thrips, pm, etc? Both preventative and during infestation?

That's just three things outta 100's of issues that will need to be addressed that require experience to handle.

Really the worst advice that this person could get is some happy "you can do it, follow your dreams" bs that blow hards like you feel compelled to spout off.
But whatever- I'm done.

inthegorge

inthegorge

Reading the LCB's faq's, they do not intend to limit the number of producer licenses. they simply want the time to go through the initial glut of applications. they are already required by law to process applications in a timely manner, and this application window simply gives them the time needed to conform to the already established rules.

Actually they do intend on limiting the number of producers whether or not you read it from the faqs or not. I went to one of their licensing seminars and they are aiming for a 2,000,000 sq foot canopy cap when including all the canopy of all the licensed growers. They have this 30 day sign up...then sign up closed at for at least a year when they see what they actually have in production. If they don't have 2,ooo,ooo sq foot being grown they will open the process up but if they are over their 2,000,000 sq ft figure they come to the growers and take a little space away from us all. This is from the mouths of the WA Liquor Control Board.

Hey... so I like your spirit!!! While typing this, one of my favorite songs in life is jamming in the background: You might die trying, by Dave Matthews. Check out the words, as it has seriously inspired me in times when I was doubting my next {life-professional) step.

Any fan of Dave's is a friend of mine:-)))

I am a 57 year old lady that used to grow indoors 20 years ago and things have changed greatly since then:-/
I have a solid 7 years of grow experience but not on this level.
The money I will be using is from friends and family that know my skills at growing in the past and feel I am competent and able to go forward with this.
This doesn't compute.

What on earth do you mean? That I am not 57? That I did not grow indoors for 7 years 20 years ago? That I don't have friends and family willing to invest in what to many of us here seems like a great opportunity? I actually watched "Lost in Space" when I was a kid and this totally computes. I also was 1/2 of an outdoor medical grow here in WA state for the last 4 years with yields of never less than 90 lbs of good bud and usually closer to 120 lbs for the 15 plants that WA state has been allowing for medical. The first year we got 10 lbs per plant on 8 of our girls. I can't even claim to have done anything amazing to it...it just grows outside here very well in our long hot summers.

Seriously I would love to sit and dispute half of the claims here but I have no time for this stuff:-/ I am sure that much more money could be spent to do this as perfectly as possible but I have to work within a framework that I have available to me and that I will do. We have a great deal going for us.....great building that needs next to nothing in the way of huge alterations except exhaust fans.....400 APM power with double 220 outlets every 15 feet on the walls and on poles situated within the growing space.....a landlord that is not only aware of what I my plan is but willing to charge me a substantially lower rent for the first 6 months to try to help make sure the venture works financially......partners that are well funded, ready, willing and excited to be doing this.......some of the cheapest power in the entire nation.......and the list goes on. You folks can continue to debate whether is can be done or not and on what budget it cannot be done, but in the mean time I am going to do my best to make sure it is:-) I will continue to watch the message board for good info because I have seem plenty in various threads but I have no interest in words of gloom and doom. I did not ask for advice on how to run a business...I was seeking help on setting up an grow area on such a large scale. Telling me I need more money is not advice on how to set up a grow room actually...it is telling me how not to even try. Perhaps if someone said you need this, this and this in these quantities I would at least have a figure to shoot for. No one has even suggested one actual thing towards a grow set up here except for those that privately messaged me. That is really what does not compute.

inthegorge

inthegorge

Seriously I've done this (a couple of times) and it is HARD WORK and MAJOR MONEY.
I mean seriously:
*know how to treat for spider mites, broad mites, fungus gnats, thrips, pm, etc? Both preventative and during infestation?

That's just three things outta 100's of issues that will need to be addressed that require experience to handle.

We started paying rent 2 weeks ago. The landlord is so happy to have his building rented since it has not been for over half of the last 6 years so he is working with me with reduced rent of $1000 per month until after first harvest. Power will be hefty but we have monthly income to cover it and the rent and the water/sewer and the insurance and the internet connection. We already ordered and got seeds....30 different strains....they are already sprouted, planted and already have clones from clones. Have been cloning, cloning and cloning some more. Hoping to have more than needed to start. If you need to know how, I had access to 2 forty foot truck containers, cleaned the heck out of them and have the walls lined with shelves for the babies. So far it is doing great but need to put them in different light by next week and hope we can move them without contamination:-/
Yes...I definitely know how to quarantine.
Yes..I know how to treat for spider mites, thrips and fungus gnats. Have not run into broad mites yet. Have already designed a entry area where our street clothes are swapped out/ clean suit put on/ hands washed/sterilized footwear and basically sterilize anyone before going in. The whole place will be fumigated, repainted, all crevices and cracks and crannies sealed and bleached as well as we can before we bring a plant into the place. We will do the best we can on this issue and I used to be a surgical nurse...my partner works in a clean room working with electronics so this is a subject we understand not to mention my time of indoor growing. Like everyone else I learned the hard way after a nasty ass spider mite infestation. WA state already has a large list of approved insecticides for legal weed growing but I hope I never have to use any:-/ Yes...this is challenging but not insurmountable. None of this is reason that I should not try.

Tank333

Tank333

I'm not gonna argue with you since you obviously don't know what it takes to set up a warehouse either. The "advice" I posted earlier is the most honest thing that can be said.
I can't cook to save my life, but would it sound smart if came on here posting that I was gonna dump 25-90k into starting my own restaurant? Yeah I used to bake a cake or two like 7 years ago, so does that qualify me to go all in on a major build? This is just a hypothetical, but with restaurants it happens all the time.... grand opening today, bankrupt 6 months later.

I mean seriously:

Really the worst advice that this person could get is some happy "you can do it, follow your dreams" bs that blow hards like you feel compelled to spout off.
But whatever- I'm done.

Finally, someone gives a somewhat usable answer. so, how about in the spirit of this forum (which I thought was here to HELP growers), you take a little time to write out a couple dozen of those concerns you feel should be addressed and see how well shes dealing with each of them? While I have never done a warehouse grow, I have considered it quite a lot. By adding MY concerns and ideas to those that others have brought up, I'm HELPING!

Of course, if you don't want to do that, maybe you should just gtfo, man... giving valid concerns to someone is helpful. Simply telling her she's gonna fail isn't even *constructive* criticism. It's just naysaying, which is definitely NOT welcome here.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Glad to hear some of the big dogs reached out to you @inthegorge ! Best of luck to you and I hope despite the opinions you've received here you come back and share your grow with us on the farm. If anything the farmers can help with any unexpected issues you may run into.

It's obvious you are a business women and it is a rarity (for me) to see women take the bull by the horns in this industry, will really be something to see. Good Job

I certainly do not envy you! I am running half of your projected build and it is a FULL time job to say the least!

Good Luck

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
90k invested into non medical sales?? So, your going to break federal law with no medical status but a NEW legal status that your State is implementing.

I'm all for you growing!! But, be careful, the first wave will be the first to crash

Tank333

Tank333

90k invested into non medical sales?? So, your going to break federal law with no medical status but a NEW legal status that your State is implementing.

I'm all for you growing!! But, be careful, the first wave will be the first to crash
This is also a MAJOR concern I have for this. BUT, someone has to be the front-runner in all this. IMO, better to have it someone who's experienced in the industry rather than some CEO that it's just a money-making decision to.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The way to avoid Federal attention is A. Follow their guidelines- they publicized those for a reason, B. Use common sense and don't get greedy, which naturally follows C. Keep a low profile. If you want to talk up your business, talk about a peripheral feature, like how environmentally friendly you are or something.

inthegorge

inthegorge

Feds have said they have no interest in fucking with legal growers if they are following their states law. My brothers mother in law is the head of [a large state laboratory] and she has to authorize all the labs in the state. All the State lab heads throughout the county just attended a big conference in Baltimore and the total purpose was on how to accredit labs to test pot. They are going on the theory that weed will be legal all over the us and sooner than later. I do not see this as an issue. There are huge corporations gearing up to do this here...I am a small fish in a very big lake and I am not in the least bit worried about this particular issue but thanks for your concerns:)

Edited by: Seamaiden
Reason: Security

Last edited by a moderator:
inthegorge

inthegorge

The way to avoid Federal attention is A. Follow their guidelines- they publicized those for a reason, B. Use common sense and don't get greedy, which naturally follows C. Keep a low profile. If you want to talk up your business, talk about a peripheral feature, like how environmentally friendly you are or something.

Working on that with your help:-)

HG23

HG23

How do you feel about the multitude of soil-less and hydroponic growing options available today? I would suggest not going soil for a large endeavor as the hauling and disposal is a pain.

I don't know how long you've been browsing THCfarmer, but threads of this nature surface from time to time and the reactions are pretty much like the ones you're receiving. Your thread title and the subsequent questions like soil or hydro, SOG or tall plants, etc. lead people to believe your experience level is not where it should be. Those are things you should already have figured out on your smaller grows you experimented with. Do you have any equipment lists put together? Thought about air cooled lighting or bare bulb with A/C? What are your estimates for those things? In my opinion securing space without having a well thought out plan is foolish.

I personally think that the fastest I can get a crop to legal retail outlets here the better because the market will be glutted quickly and since all my start up money is borrowed I need to get in the black as soon as possible. Also I think the first crop to hit retailers will bear the highest prices just so the retail shops can get moving. I have literally been waiting for this for the last 30 years and am so excited I can barely contain myself.

This quote would make me nervous if I was your investor. Not only do you have to get into the black, you are borrowing %100 of funds and need to pay that back. Profits are going to be extremely low at first. Hopefully everything goes perfect, you won't get many second chances should problems arise.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I have been reading this post but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. If you have $20-25k to invest that is NOT enough for a warehouse grow. I have spent $20k on a much smaller basement grow (Lights, Nutes, Initial Setup, Misc shit that adds up like crazy) If I was you I would start in a much smaller environment. Warehouse grows are dangerous and hard to maintain/control. You are also opening the doors for scavengers and robbers. If they smell even a PINCH of weed coming out of that warehouse its game on for them. GOOD LUCK!

inthegorge

inthegorge

How do you feel about the multitude of soil-less and hydroponic growing options available today? I would suggest not going soil for a large endeavor as the hauling and disposal is a pain.

I don't know how long you've been browsing THCfarmer, but threads of this nature surface from time to time and the reactions are pretty much like the ones you're receiving. Your thread title and the subsequent questions like soil or hydro, SOG or tall plants, etc. lead people to believe your experience level is not where it should be. Those are things you should already have figured out on your smaller grows you experimented with. Do you have any equipment lists put together? Thought about air cooled lighting or bare bulb with A/C? What are your estimates for those things? In my opinion securing space without having a well thought out plan is foolish.

This quote would make me nervous if I was your investor. Not only do you have to get into the black, you are borrowing %100 of funds and need to pay that back. Profits are going to be extremely low at first. Hopefully everything goes perfect, you won't get many second chances should problems arise.

Originally I thought I would go with soil because that is what I have experience with. After reading about 10 books on the subject, browsing this and other grow sites, and after finally reaching out for other peoples opinions I feel it would be stupid to not go hydro. I do not personally have experience doing it myself:-/ I have reached out to a few people that seem to have it down and I am optimistic we will come up with a workable situation. This will be my 14 hour a day job, my 2 adult daughters will help a couple of days a week, their boyfriends will help a couple of days a week and the 2 friends that have the money to invest but no time to actually do the job will help on days off and as much as possible at harvest. Ultimately I would rather do bigger plants...but first crop, due to the nature of the way that the WA Liquor Commission has set this up, it all needs to be put into motion quickly, partly because there is such a short window to apply for licenses and the structure they have put into place to be approved for the license and just as important an issue, in order to establish a relationship with some of the retail outlets before everyone else with a license gets their product to market. I also believe there will be lots of weed being grown. I have no idea how the market will be anymore than anyone else but I still think this is a great opportunity. So..I need to be able to produce some good weed in a short amount of time. This whole process they have put into place did not allow a long leisurely planning stage at least not for me at this scale. I have been working on the premise that I was doing a legal outdoor grow in the TriCities area with a friend/partner with the possibility of a smaller 4 room indoor grow and it would have been done on a shoestring but we could have managed it. Have been planning for that...lights acquired through Craigslist and other used sources....fence is already up....rooms planned out etc. Then I found this larger property much closer to my home, providence just sort of all came together and the 3 of us involved decided to go for it. It is now or never...or at least probably for me. I am not a young whipper snapper...I am an older lady preparing for retirement. The other 2 partners are younger and know I have a huge work ethic and if I want to get something done it gets done. If I don't know something I find it out. No I am not an expert on growing on this scale but I have some experience and I just might be an expert before it is all said and done.

I did not ask them...they asked me if they could be a part of it and are more excited than I am to be involved if such a thing is possible. They were looking for a building to buy outright but never could have afforded a place like I found and then would not have had much left for the actual operation so to them this is a much better choice. I am not borrowing anything by the way...they are investing in an equal partnership they hope to take over themselves in a few years. That is how they wanted it to be. I am not promising a flipping thing to them. The expect me to be successful because I always am. Never tried to get rich at anything because that is not my goal but if this can make my husbands and my retirement a little less stressful than we will be ecstatic and I will be doing something I have yearned to do for as long as I can remember.

Anyway..once again I do not know why I am spending so much time explaining myself. I really need to filter these conversations and just respond to folks that have experience to share unfortunately. I do appreciate the cautious approach but I just really don't think that in this case it is the right one for me.

inthegorge

inthegorge

A little update on our grand experiment! We got the moratorium in our county lifted last week and it was in large part due to my emailing campaign:-) That is a major relief and we did not want to go forward with anything until the county allowed us to move forward but now it is full speed ahead. We decided to go with our last names for a business name and the first initial of all our last names spells W.O.W. so we are doing business as W.O.W. Weed:-) That should be an easy brand to remember for shoppers looking for our product! Cleaning and prepping the building is almost done including fumigating, painting, disinfecting all surfaces etc.. Ordered eighty 1000W ballasts, bulbs and reflectors yesterday! Purchased 400 clones and cuttings including 36 different strains in Portland a few days ago and the plan is to have 3500 at a minimum before opening sometime in February for SOG so I will be busy with that. Looks like we may be going with soil for first crop after all, due to no experience with hydro on my part and really no solid personal advice from anyone I know yet:-/ Have read a ton of information so understand what is involved but first crop is so critical to our whole business plan and I am nervous with relying on something I have not tried yet so I am going with what I know and that is soil. Researching where to get decent "clean" options so if there is anyone in the Pacific NW that has any good knowledge on where to find large amount of clean soil source I would be forever in your debt. Have a few options I am looking at but again, no personal experience with any of them. Working on layout plans and drip irrigation plans so we can secure the components of that in the next couple of weeks. Electrician coming early next week to figure out where exhaust will go and how much that will cost him to install. Already found the exhaust fans to meet our needs. We are pretty much bleeding cash but nothing unexpected and all of it has been projected in our business plan. Have a legitimate bookkeeper with commercial experience in WA state so that is a relief and she is one of my partners mom so she is free to us. Have had multiple offers of people wanting to invest but we are keeping it to the 3 of us if possible. As more people we know find out about our plans more people want in. Kind of exciting having people wanting to throw money at us:-) I want to do this as economical as possible though so planning is pretty critical. If we can keep it to the money the three of us have at our disposal all the better on the end for us but it is somewhat less stressful to know there is money waiting to get in our door if we need it. A bit strange to be in that position actually. Really was surprised dealing with local grow shops and how most of them don't even want to know what you are doing or have no suggestions for anything. Kind of weird to me to be in a business where you can't even mention what your product is primarily used for:-/// I guess I won't be opening any grow shops any time soon! For anyone in the WA-OR region...if you have clones available there are lots of people looking that are applying for their legal licenses to grow. Even though I thought about needing starts a long time ago there were so many variables that could have prohibited me moving forward so I waited until now but I could be doing a very good business in just clones for everyone else that did not think about it at all. As of 3 days ago there had been over 2200 people apply for legal license to grow here and there is still 7 days to apply so that is lots of starts needed for them all! WOW...I can't wait to walk into a shop with 50 choices of varieties to buy:-) So...so far so good! New things to consider pop up every day but hopefully nothing we can't handle!

Top Bottom