Calling all experts!

• Thread starter inthegorge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inthegorge

inthegorge

I live in wonderful WA state where I have just applied for my legal license to grow, have secured a 4400 sq ft warehouse and am looking for any reasonable advice I can find. I have been reading the threads here as much as possible but have not found too much info on using so much space. I have a 41'x34' veg space and a 58'x26' flowering space with 3 other closed off rooms of varying sizes for cloning etc and a 34'x12' space for drying and processing. I am a 57 year old lady that used to grow indoors 20 years ago and things have changed greatly since then:-/ If any of you experts could see it in your hearts or have time to give me some specific pointers I would be seriously grateful. This is all out in the open...don't have to worry about anyone "catching" me because it is LEGAL....never thought I would see that in my lifetime:) I am so open to knowledge and have a short window to get everything set up with a budget of about 20,000-25,000 to put into it. We will be the ground breakers for the rest of the nation and I can use all the help I can find! Do I grow hydroponically or with soil? Do I use the SOG method or go for bigger plants? I personally think that the fastest I can get a crop to legal retail outlets here the better because the market will be glutted quickly and since all my start up money is borrowed I need to get in the black as soon as possible. Also I think the first crop to hit retailers will bear the highest prices just so the retail shops can get moving. I have literally been waiting for this for the last 30 years and am so excited I can barely contain myself. I have so many questions and want to do this right from the start up. Glad to share my phone number and talk to anyone with good advice for me. Will have the building to start the set up by Dec. 15 and need to be ready and raring to go!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

wow. in my opinion and experience, you are going to have one headache after another until you know what you are doing.

No offense to you, but folks like you with alot of capital and minimal growing experience should buy a Subway franchise or something. Either hire a very experienced grower and DON'T ARGUE WITH HIM/HER, or stick with something ya know.

Try a small grow before you plan to change the world.

Trying to save you alot of money and headache, not be a douche. Welcome to the Farm, and good luck!

inthegorge

inthegorge

Seriously? As though no one here would jump on the legal bandwagon if they could? I know how to grow great weed in a smaller environment but I have questions about such a large grow situation and there have been a lot of changes to maximum yields since I have grown on any sort of scale. Thought maybe there would be some folks here that have opinions on how it should be done and hopefully there will be and they will share some of their thoughts with me. Not trying to change the flipping world....just hoping to change my retirement options!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hey, inthegorge, I'm not trying to ruin your day.
However, your plan may not be as great as you think, based on my years of experience here in CO, where it's also "legal" (?!). maybe.
I have worked for more than one person who had money and started off completely ignorant. What usually happens is that the one with the money gets a little info and suddenly wants to restructure the entire grow, or change nutrients, etc. There is a brief power struggle and in the end, the investment capital has been wasted on a quasi-legal business that will have you pulling your hair out due to the stress.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Seriously? As though no one here would jump on the legal bandwagon if they could? I know how to grow great weed in a smaller environment but I have questions about such a large grow situation and there have been a lot of changes to maximum yields since I have grown on any sort of scale. Thought maybe there would be some folks here that have opinions on how it should be done and hopefully there will be and they will share some of their thoughts with me. Not trying to change the flipping world....just hoping to change my retirement options!
What you need is a head gardener, and pay them well for this knowledge. YOu don't need some internet help, you need bonafide in person on call experts. Look locally, pay well and you'll be thankful.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Check out some of the warehouse grow logs here on the site.
Been on the "legal bandwagon" since 2001; I helped collect signatures to put medical canna on the ballot in the late 90's. I have seen hundreds of canna-businesses come and go. It takes a lot to stay in business with all the regs and taxes.
It will take a TON of stress off you if you go ahead and plan for a few crop failures in your first year, and plan for at least one failure per year after that. When you DO know what you're doing.
Talk to Texas Kid. He will shoot it straight with you.

inthegorge

inthegorge

Haha...I don't have any hair anyway so no issues there:-) (condition called alopecia) I am not ignorant in any way. I have read most of the threads here and there seem to be some folks with intelligence and knowledge here so I am reaching out. I do my homework and thought maybe some people here do as well. I do not know that many people that are in the industry anymore and quite frankly I am dying to talk with someone about my ideas, what works for them, etc. I have no question that I can make it lucrative but I feel speaking with others with first hand knowledge is a good way to go in the beginning. Suggesting a Subway franchise instead of a grow op is insulting and of no value to me. I am not just doing this to "make money". This is a lifelong dream for me that is finally a realistic option and I could not be more excited by all the possibilities. No one here could possibly ruin my day by snarky comments...I am not a baby....I am an intelligent very driven person that is totally capable of doing this. Just looking for like minded people that may have considered such options themselves that might want to have a meaningful conversation about it.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I apologize for jumping down your throat but it annoys me when folks with $$ wanna make more money but don't have the skills.
I would hardly go into wall street with 100k and be like, hey what do I do...?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Your retirement option will be Wal-Mart greeter for the rest of your life if you screw this up. If you do it anyhow, good luck! I have personally lost thousands upon thousands by making poor choices, and trying to go too big too fast. I am sure you have a good heart and I am hoping it doesn't get broken over a bad investment :-)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Welcome to the Farm Inthegorge. :)
You came to the right place...dont let anyone burst your bubble! ...
There is a lot that can go wrong but, I say go for it!!;)
Becarefull who you trust though!
All the good folks here are going to give you advice.... There are lots of very knowledgeable growers here..
Very Friendly and Helpful folks too.

So if some post stuff you don't wanna hear...just take it in and stay positive..you will find help here.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Everyone here has excellent points- including those about dialing down the snarky tone and suggesting a Subway franchise. Seriously now, she came here respectfully asking for advice, not being an asshole.

@inthegorge I think that asking for advice is a good move- and listening carefully to it will be another.

People are right about this being risky, and especially about how warehouse operations are drastically different than anything that can fit in a home environment.

People are also right about hiring an experienced grower and then not arguing with them about how to do the op. Hire a top notch one, pay him what he asks, then get out of his way, once you have both come to an agreement about how the space will be set up and operated.

It's premature to offer equipment, sizing and spacing options without knowing some basics; after this first blow it out the door crop, how do you plan to maintain your operation for the long term? Do you want to be known as an all organic choice, or will you run hydro?

How will you deal with the falling prices in the market, especially since it's going to be 'legal' in the local market? How will you stay in business if the market will only pay $50 an ounce at retail?

To be completely honest, I can answer all of these questions- and I have on this website. You can either dig through my 6000+ posts, or PM me and I can help point you in the right direction.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
What you need is a head gardener, and pay them well for this knowledge. YOu don't need some internet help, you need bonafide in person on call experts. Look locally, pay well and you'll be thankful.
^^^ This is one of those Very Knollagable Folks here^^^^^^^

That's Great advice.....get some hands on help...... But get references!

inthegorge

inthegorge

I don't have money...I have intelligence and drive and since I took my first hit at the age of 22 I have wanted to grow weed without restrictions. The money I will be using is from friends and family that know my skills at growing in the past and feel I am competent and able to go forward with this. While WA states new law is not at all without restriction it is nonetheless doable and I am going to give it my all. I am not going into this blind...I know how to grow weed but not on this scale. I really am not looking for a debate on whether to do it or not...it is going to be done. Bantering about why is just a useless waste of time for me and some source of amusement for you all apparently. Thanks for the advice about Texas Kid....bought his book and it was a good read. No broken hearts here...no matter what the outcome. Apparently the assumption here is "Oh..some old lady wants to do something and she has no idea what is involved." That could not be further from the truth. I could put up 10 lights right now and do great. Using 40 in my flowering room alone is a different situation. I will keep on monitoring the thread and if anyone has anything relevant to share I would be ever so grateful:-)

Black Lab

Black Lab

I applaud your entrepenurial spirit. Listen to what others have to say but do what's in your heart. Growing good cannabis is not easy and disasters do occur but somebody has to grow it.

I don't have any technical advice or experience in large grows to give you. Better to have a good business model in place. You will need several years to build any business to success. You will likely need more financial funding to pull it off and don't put all your eggs in one basket. Find good people to work with.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I don't have money...I have intelligence and drive and since I took my first hit at the age of 22 I have wanted to grow weed without restrictions. The money I will be using is from friends and family that know my skills at growing in the past and feel I am competent and able to go forward with this. While WA states new law is not at all without restriction it is nonetheless doable and I am going to give it my all. I am not going into this blind...I know how to grow weed but not on this scale. I really am not looking for a debate on whether to do it or not...it is going to be done. Bantering about why is just a useless waste of time for me and some source of amusement for you all apparently. Thanks for the advice about Texas Kid....bought his book and it was a good read. No broken hearts here...no matter what the outcome. Apparently the assumption here is "Oh..some old lady wants to do something and she has no idea what is involved." That could not be further from the truth. I could put up 10 lights right now and do great. Using 40 in my flowering room alone is a different situation. I will keep on monitoring the thread and if anyone has anything relevant to share I would be ever so grateful:)
25k will set up your 10 light floral room and a mother/veg setup and drying area and maybe help get you through one crop cost wise if that.
That is the truth, 40 lighter will cost you more than 25k for the lights and a/c & fans and other doo dads

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I did not intend to insult. I apologize.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not work yourself into a situation where you are absolutely depending on a crop. Those kind of people are all over in Colorado, and they are selling "medical" cannabis that has been sprayed with petro-chemicals as pest/pathogen deterrent. You will have issues, as you already know. I am experienced in this industry, from caregiving to commercial grows, grow stores, city council meetings, etc... To be honest, I am soooooooo much happier doing this as a hobby and not relying on it as my main source of income. Farming for a living can be stressful, no matter what you're farming! (and by the way, I ran a mite ranch for the better part of a year once; there's absolutely NO money in farming spider mites, haha!)
Seriously, best of luck to you, just don't poison anyone, intentionally or not.
Commercial growers often make compromises to save a crop. Don't be one of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom