Can anyone explain the science of curing?

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

šŸ¦
Supporter
The title is pretty self explanatory, I'm curious how curing works and what actually happens to the buds.
Any input is appreciated, thanks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There is no ā€œcuringā€ like it sounds. Just long term slow drying. After the flowers are cut and dried there is still moisture inside the buds. Bacteria eats the chlorophyll in there as long as there is still moisture. The amonia like smell when opening a jar is the off gassing of that process. If done slow and with proper environment (the jars form a micro climate) the chlorophyll will go away and leave the terpenes mostly intact.

the weed seems more potent because it smokes better.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

šŸ¦
Supporter
There is no ā€œcuringā€ like it sounds. Just long term slow drying. After the flowers are cut and dried there is still moisture inside the buds. Bacteria eats the chlorophyll in there as long as there is still moisture. The amonia like smell when opening a jar is the off gassing of that process. If done slow and with proper environment (the jars form a micro climate) the chlorophyll will go away and leave the terpenes mostly intact.

I've heard the thc % goes up. Is that just because there's less chlorophyll?

Moshmen

Moshmen

How long do you jar/cure ur personal meds?

Bahs Creole

Bahs Creole

You can definitely tell the quality between flower that's been properly cured vs quick cure to sell flowers with no respect for the terp preservation science within curing..šŸ˜¦

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Correct me if i am wrong, i want to know the actual science!! I think that burping is used to properly re distribute the moisture thru out the bud, by opening and closing jars/tubs/bags i.e "burping". When its closed that moisture in the stem distributes thru the bud and then starts releasing moisture into the container, when you open your allowing the moisture in the air to evacuate and the moisture in the bud sucks back into the center/stem. The point of proper burping early on is to properly re-distribute the moisture. But that to me is the drying process, i vac seal after drying and trimming and get hella stanky herb. Now my question to MIMedgrower is dont you have to allow the ammonia and outher gasses to evacuate via a burping? and also the literature i read is that it take three months of burping to have properly cured weed, my be out dated tho...

Bahs Creole

Bahs Creole

As cannabis cures, the thc chemically breaks down and through the process converts to cbn over time, novice smokers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a c99 crop that was half cured correctly and half quick cured for sale.. but an experienced veteran would instantly be able to tell the terp levels in the two tests. And to go on the experienced smoker would also be able to feel the sedative effects that thc to cbn transformation create.. it's the entourage effect that Thc has with all his other chemical compound buddies and terps and whatnot.. I've had many discussions over curing, I'm definitely a firm believer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Correct me if i am wrong, i want to know the actual science!! I think that burping is used to properly re distribute the moisture thru out the bud, by opening and closing jars/tubs/bags i.e "burping". When its closed that moisture in the stem distributes thru the bud and then starts releasing moisture into the container, when you open your allowing the moisture in the air to evacuate and the moisture in the bud sucks back into the center/stem. The point of proper burping early on is to properly re-distribute the moisture. But that to me is the drying process, i vac seal after drying and trimming and get hella stanky herb. Now my question to MIMedgrower is dont you have to allow the ammonia and outher gasses to evacuate via a burping? and also the literature i read is that it take three months of burping to have properly cured weed, my be out dated tho...

yes. All you said is correct as i understand it. If you had a humidor room with a stable environment you could just long term dry and store in there. The jar is just a micro climate. Since its sealed you have to keep letting out excess moisture and gasses.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Technically, the % cannabinoids do "increase," because other constituents are oxidized, but it's minor.

After a recent harvest, I was sharing with a friend, after about 7 days of drying and no cure. He mentioned to me that he LOVES fresh, uncured weed. I have to admit, on some strains I do, too.

Then I started looking into it, and sure enough, some of the lighter terps disappear during the cure. https://www.greenentrepreneur.com/article/357241

They would disappear with time, anyway. I'm not suggesting no cure to save the lighter terps, because it won't work. But there is definitely a different buzz from fresh weed, and it is enjoyable.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Technically, the % cannabinoids do "increase," because other constituents are oxidized, but it's minor.

After a recent harvest, I was sharing with a friend, after about 7 days of drying and no cure. He mentioned to me that he LOVES fresh, uncured weed. I have to admit, on some strains I do, too.

Then I started looking into it, and sure enough, some of the lighter terps disappear during the cure. https://www.greenentrepreneur.com/article/357241

They would disappear with time, anyway. I'm not suggesting no cure to save the lighter terps, because it won't work. But there is definitely a different buzz from fresh weed, and it is enjoyable.

I have noticed that too. Especially if i can get 3 day hung weed to burn. Feel a certain energy or something ā€œfreshā€ feeling.

beluga

beluga

I'd assume it has a lot to do with volatilizing and preventing volatilization. So, your gradual moisture reduction in stable environments is going to keep those terpenoids/hydrocarbons from bursting.
Then comes the interaction with the microbiome... whole other can of worms that you can probably get a lot of insight on if you look into tobacco curing, sweating, and fermenting.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

There is no ā€œcuringā€ like it sounds. Just long term slow drying.

Nonsense. My bud, 100% of the time regardless of strain, goes from tasting generic, hashy, sweet and sugary, to tasting distinct and sour. Those sour flavors aren't hiding out. They have to be created. Via curing. Not a myth. That fresh period sweetness doesn't evaporate lol, it's been converted. It's a chemical process.

Actually I forget, hydroponic is different. It doesn't create flavor, it just smells like early veg terpenes,and it's a battle to preserve them lame potpourri smells over the fungicides, 2000ppm of Botanicare, etc. .

100% chance that cure deniers work for mersh producers. I'm steady breaking fatty acids down into thiols and starches into alcohols, day by day, while hydro growers busy trying to convince customers their bud should smell like peanuts, green leaf volatiles and petroleum based nutes.

Blows my mind that people can't stick 2 dry buds in 2 different baby food jars. Burp one 2 seconds a day for 3 months. Don't burp the other one. One is cured. One is not. Oxygen is OBVIOUSLY a giant part of curing. But you know, too many senseless hydro growers clouding up reality with their wannabe buds and moisture pack dankness.

Top Bottom