can anyone help with a diagnosis?

• Thread starter michiladaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
michiladaman

michiladaman

any ideas? im leaning towards either a ph or root problem but would like some other opinions please

Can anyone help with a diagnosis
Can anyone help with a diagnosis 2
Can anyone help with a diagnosis 3
Can anyone help with a diagnosis 4
Can anyone help with a diagnosis 5
Can anyone help with a diagnosis 6
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
General nutrient imbalance and possibly uptake issues. Im seeing a bit of P deficiency.
What are they planted in and what are you feeding? whats your starting water? Whats the ec and ph of the feed solution and runoff?

michiladaman

michiladaman

tomorow i get a ph tester. they are in ocean forest soil with no added anything. watered with tap water which is what im thinking is the most likely problem

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
tomorow i get a ph tester. they are in ocean forest soil with no added anything. watered with tap water which is what im thinking is the most likely problem

If your tap water is really high or low in Ca that will absolutely affect uptake of certain nutes, including P. Do you have a way to test ec/ppm?

michiladaman

michiladaman

no i dont have that yet either. what do you recomend for that?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Looks like inconsistent watering. And maybe bad drainage. Ocean forest really needs additional perlite mixed in. And it tends to have hot clumps if not mixed real well.

Best to slowly and evenly water to runoff and then wait the week or whatever for it to dry enough to repeat.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks like inconsistent watering. And maybe bad drainage. Ocean forest really needs additional perlite mixed in. And it tends to have hot clumps if not mixed real well.

Best to slowly and evenly water to runoff and then wait the week or whatever for it to dry enough to repeat.

Listen to this guy 👆
He is far more experienced with how you are growing than I am.

Id still be curious to see the ppm of your water though, for S&G...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Listen to this guy 👆
He is far more experienced with how you are growing than I am.

Id still be curious to see the ppm of your water though, for S&G...

Absolutely. We all should know the quality of our water.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Looks like Overwatering & unadjusted pH to me, your new meter should take care of the pH, make sure you have plenty of drain holes in those cups and only water when they feel light & dry, good luck

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

hello
so I would like 5i know your light levels and how close they are to plants?
a free light meter app is available free on app store. too much had been made about par without realizing footcandles or volume if light is extremely important. par is colour footcandles is intensity. how much par colored light are you getting?
so those should be in th4 1500 to 2000? ish footcandles. lux is just x10 2000 fc =20000 lux same sensor.
ok nutrients. you are feeding the the 12 minimum minerals needed 4o be added? N P K Ca Mg S Fe Mn B Z Cu Mo
tou need all , all the time.
at the end of the day if you have a nutrient deficiency OR toxicity the ONLY solution is to flush the medium with 2x th4 volume of media with 1/2 fresh made balanced solution . push out the old solution and replace it with the new solution .
if it is the issue you will see an improvement in 24 hours. if not you used a slight more solution and the plants got a good flush
the light could compound the issue.
in any carbon based system such as soil 9r sphagnum moss like promix it has so much cation exchange capacity that is takes a lot of energ5 4o change the ph . ph drift is normal and a range of a point either way Is not much .it is very normal in soil outside. look at any ph absorption chart and some are favored and some are not but it's a +/-15% it does not stop .in 4issue culture they run 4.5 to reduce bacteria
between light or nutrient issue in the medium there is nothing else .
oh the runoff ec should never be higher than 25 to 50% of input. if the input ec is 800 then runoff should be no more than 1000 to 1200 .if it is more than double the feed EC then 6ou are most likely suffering from false deficiencies cause by nutrient uptake lockup. flush a little solution through the medium and check ec

good luck

Last edited:
michiladaman

michiladaman

I was thinking of just transplanting into 5 gal bags with something like 30/70 pearlite to soil tonight. Would it be better to flush and wait to do that first or just try and fix the problem with the transplant?

Latest posts

Top Bottom