Can I prune in pre-flowering stage? Need a shorter plant

• Thread starter Kidbuu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Hi guys! I'm happy to say my plants have recovered fantastically from some serious deficiencies.

They're about 33cm long and have developed pistils. Since my little greenhouse is short, I was wondering if I could prune them in a way so that they grow to the sides instead of taller.
I'm guessing the way top do that is by cutting about 80% of the top growth.

To summarize: Can I prune in pre-flowering stage? If yes, where and how should I cut so it grows to the sides?
Thsi is the top of one of them:
Can i prune in pre flowering stage need a shorter plant

Thanks!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Top it. It will stop the main stem growth and put dominance to the next set of nodes breaking apical dominance.

A fast Google search will get ya on your way

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Top it. It will stop the main stem growth and put dominance to the next set of nodes breaking apical dominance.

A fast Google search will get ya on your way
I once actually cut a plant in half during the pre Fowler stage with a weed wacker by mistake...(the Budweiser made me do it)... It completely stopped its growth for about 2 weeks.... Then it turned into a massive bush with the stock as big around is a beer bottle... Too bad it tasted like ditch weed... Cough cough

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I once actually cut a plant in half during the pre Fowler stage with a weed wacker by mistake...(the Budweiser made me do it)... It completely stopped its growth for about 2 weeks.... Then it turned into a massive bush with the stock as big around is a beer bottle... Too bad it tasted like ditch weed... Cough cough
Yeah depends on trauma. Bit topping is pretty low stress. Nice clean cut with a razorblade and it shouldn't miss a beat. I used to tope at night but now I feel topping just before lights on to be best

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Yeah depends on trauma. Bit topping is pretty low stress. Nice clean cut with a razorblade and it shouldn't miss a beat. I used to tope at night but now I feel topping just before lights on to be best
It was crappy weed to begin with Mexican fully loaded with seeds... I don't miss that stuff at all

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!

I did a google search before posting, but I hadn't found any info about pre-flowering. They all say you shouldn't prune at flowering.
Anyways, I'll top them as you suggest!
I'd like to ask if cutting here is too much or it's ok (see red line):
WhatsApp Image 2020 05 13 at 121732

thanks!

growsince79

growsince79

Hi guys! I'm happy to say my plants have recovered fantastically from some serious deficiencies.

They're about 33cm long and have developed pistils. Since my little greenhouse is short, I was wondering if I could prune them in a way so that they grow to the sides instead of taller.
I'm guessing the way top do that is by cutting about 80% of the top growth.

To summarize: Can I prune in pre-flowering stage? If yes, where and how should I cut so it grows to the sides?
Thsi is the top of one of them:
View attachment 972367
Thanks!
I always wait at least ten days after topping to flip the lights. Any less and you get small buds.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I did a google search before posting, but I hadn't found any info about pre-flowering. They all say you shouldn't prune at flowering.
View attachment 972385
thanks!
There's going to be varying opinions on that.. I bet it stops growth for at least six to seven days.. cutting it at that spot. But that's my gut.Have you ever thought about just bending it over and tying it to the pot itself...LST is the route I've been taking as of late versus topping them... You can actually if you take your time over a few week. Get them to grow in just about any shape you want. Sorry if I added a little more confusion to you just opening up another option

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 972385
thanks!
Yup about 1/4-1/2 inch over the node.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I always wait at least ten days after topping to flip the lights. Any less and you get small buds.
Good advice. I used to wait 3 days but that was in hydro and recovery was a couple hours. Maybe different in soil. 10 days may be a bit long but it is definitely not going to hurt

growsince79

growsince79

Good advice. I used to wait 3 days but that was in hydro and recovery was a couple hours. Maybe different in soil. 10 days may be a bit long but it is definitely not going to hurt
I should have said depending on strain. My late blooming sativa can be topped the same day as the flip. My faster indicas need time or the buds are too small. I like big buds. Big buds good...

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I should have said depending on strain. My late blooming sativa can be topped the same day as the flip. My faster indicas need time or the buds are too small. I like big buds. Big buds good...
Alright let me ask this question.. I'm growing something that's mostly sativa in super silver Haze and this time around I started the seeds out on 12/12 because they take so damn long to sex... Then I put it on 18:6 lighting for 16 or 17 days I lost track of a few days... It never even came close to getting out of the bud cycle in fact some of my other ones that have been vegging for a month or the same way but anyway the one I am flowering the buds are much smaller then my previous two grows.. and I couldn't even tell you what week of flower I'm in I can just estimate it.. I also up potted it the same week I started to flower does that have something to do with the smaller buds in your opinion... Because at the rate I'm going it's going to be flowering for nearly four months by the time harvest comes...I kind of have to play it by ear and be able to adapt this is still a gorilla state for growing if you know what I mean.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There's going to be varying opinions on that.. I bet it stops growth for at least six to seven days.. cutting it at that spot. But that's my gut.Have you ever thought about just bending it over and tying it to the pot itself...LST is the route I've been taking as of late versus topping them... You can actually if you take your time over a few week. Get them to grow in just about any shape you want. Sorry if I added a little more confusion to you just opening up another option
This is another good option. You maintain the growth you have. I usually top at the growing tip but you can top anywhere.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Alright let me ask this question.. I'm growing something that's mostly sativa in super silver Haze and this time around I started the seeds out on 12/12 because they take so damn long to sex... Then I put it on 18:6 lighting for 16 or 17 days I lost track of a few days... It never even came close to getting out of the bud cycle in fact some of my other ones that have been vegging for a month or the same way but anyway the one I am flowering the buds are much smaller then my previous two grows.. and I couldn't even tell you what week of flower I'm in I can just estimate it.. I also up potted it the same week I started to flower does that have something to do with the smaller buds in your opinion... Because at the rate I'm going it's going to be flowering for nearly four months by the time harvest comes...I kind of have to play it by ear and be able to adapt this is still a gorilla state for growing if you know what I mean.
Seeds won't go into flower until at least 3-5 weeks of growth. The plants don't mature before then so I wouldn't go 12/12 to start. An easy indication of this is when the nodes start to alternate.

It's possible you revegged. And that can take a month or more to sort itself out

Last edited:
Kidbuu

Kidbuu

That LST technique is interesting! Let's say I want to do it, would something like this be the right way? I feel I'd break it if I bend the lower parts of the stem
WhatsApp Image 2020 05 13 at 130558

Sorry for the amount of pictures and questions, it's my first grow! It's outdoors by the way

growsince79

growsince79

Maybe just a freak idk. I once grew a landrace Colombian Gold thet flowered almost 6 monthes befor I chopped her and the buds still weren't ripe. Long fluffy spears with a truely great euphoric high, but airy buds.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

That LST technique is interesting! Let's say I want to do it, would something like this be the right way? I feel I'd break it if I bend the lower parts of the stem
View attachment 972408
Sorry for the amount of pictures and questions, it's my first grow! It's outdoors by the way
No sorry needed that is a good start you can just keep increasing it how you see fit just don't do it all in one day do it over a course Of a few weeks and next time start training it when it's Young and just watch it grow in which shape you want to mold it in.. only reason I'm against topping it's because I was watching a Kevin Jordy seminar when he said he was shying away from topping because of certain hormone reasons but most of that stuff flew right over my head.. the man's a genius at what he does but if you ever tried to sit through some of his seminars they can be long and complicated and sometimes humorous

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 972408
Driving but if you squeeze the stem first and roll it in you fingers. It takes some good pressure and you will hear some popping. Over about 2" it will easily bend and you will feel it get softer as you go. Prob take ya a min or so to get it where ya need to bend.. then tie it because it will pop back up given the chance.

Can prob find a vid on you tube explaining it better

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

View attachment 972408
IMG 20200513 111933426 HDR
IMG 20200513 111917638

These aren't the best pictures because of the lighting but I'm using wire and where the point of the wire comes in contact with my plant I put electrical tape or sometimes foam to protect the stock... Then when some of the side branches start coming out at about six 7 in I do the same to them it also helps increase your harvest.... Sometimes I'll have six or seven wires on one pot large paper clips work when the plants are small

Latest posts

Top Bottom