Can I start drying in a Lit Tent?

• Thread starter Budclarkson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I like seeing all the ideas for using boxes and such things. I made a dryer from a window screen, a cardboard box, a computer fan and tape. It worked surprisingly well and lasted through several harvests. Eventually, I upgraded to using a cheap 2x2x3 tent and a drying rack from AC Infinity. A tent works well because it's easy to control the environment and keep the light out.

orggrwr

orggrwr

When I do autoflowrer perpetual harvest grows I had the same problem of where to dry, this is what I came up with. A weatherproof plastic tote ( the kind with a rubber gasket in the lid to trap smell) with an AC Infinity muffin fan mounted on one end. I drilled 8 1/2 inch holes on the other end to allow air to flow evenly over the buds hung inside. Cut to fit carbon filters are placed inside over the fan exhaust which cuts the smell a lot, probably 90%. I added a speed controller for the fan because at full speed it dried too fast. Buds dry nice and even with very little smell, especially after the first couple of days. Probably 70 bucks for materials and a couple hours to put it together. This size holds autos and small photos nicely, thinking of upsizeing another 1 or 2 for larger photo harvests.
IMG 2024 03 29 20 54 28 922
IMG 2024 03 29 20 53 53 747
IMG 2024 03 29 20 51 27 502
IMG 2024 03 29 20 51 40 365

B

Budclarkson

When I do autoflowrer perpetual harvest grows I had the same problem of where to dry, this is what I came up with. A weatherproof plastic tote ( the kind with a rubber gasket in the lid to trap smell) with an AC Infinity muffin fan mounted on one end. I drilled 8 1/2 inch holes on the other end to allow air to flow evenly over the buds hung inside. Cut to fit carbon filters are placed inside over the fan exhaust which cuts the smell a lot, probably 90%. I added a speed controller for the fan because at full speed it dried too fast. Buds dry nice and even with very little smell, especially after the first couple of days. Probably 70 bucks for materials and a couple hours to put it together. This size holds autos and small photos nicely, thinking of upsizeing another 1 or 2 for larger photo harvests.View attachment 2142045View attachment 2142046View attachment 2142047View attachment 2142048
Can you let me know what parts dor the fan and speed controller?

The USB fan even in low is running to fast.
I see the humidity in the box is 49% because of the drier outside air.

I put the hose of an ACI humidifier thru the vent inlet and into the box and the fan is just sucking it right out into the tent. Humidity is still 49% in the box LOL. 57% in the tent.

F

fishmon

So I went and checked my controller settings and sure enough the Vent MIN setting was at zero, so no ventilation running when below the humidity threshold set. Changed to 2 and there is definite improvement at least to me. The wife’s spidey senses maybe not LOL, time will tell. Thanks for the comment!

With mixing late flower and drying what temp and humidity can I get away with?
I would want the exhaust fan to maintain desired air change in the space. Period. Not ramping up and down for temp/humidity control. Stand alone temp/humidity controllers for that. Inkbird 608T temp/humidity controller currently on eBay for under 50.00. Sometimes discounted or coupons on Amazon. Recently was in a jam for a dry tent picked up this puppy on Amazon for under 60.00. Surprisingly good quality although the double door feature is sort of a pain. 2x4x5. Brand is RichYa.

20240329 192418
20240329 192653
Last edited:
PooToe

PooToe

I hung it in the lit tent above the lamps for a day. How long does it take once cut to have any significant degradation?

"As with temperature, light instigates a biosynthetic process in a cannabis plant that results in the deterioration of its cannabinoid levels. Since 1971, the scientific community has been aware of light’s effect on the degradation of THC. A study published that year concluded that the best storage method for cannabis was under nitrogen and in the dark. A few years later, 1976 research examining cannabinoid stability over the course of two years found that light exposure was the most effective variable at depleting all cannabinoid levels, including THC’s.
This was particularly apparent in samples of cannabis oils, a form of the plant that is more volatile than cannabis flower."

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I use a drying rack in a 2x2x3 tent like this https://acinfinity.com/grow-accesso...g-herb-drying-rack-18-in-diameter-four-tiers/. I can't take a picture of it right now because I'm using the tent to start some clones. I cut the branches to 6 to 8 inch lengths and spread them out in the rack. There are circulation fans in the tent and an exhaust fan at the top. I keep the exhaust fan on a low speed. That helps control the rate of drying.

orggrwr

orggrwr

I used AC Infinity fan and controller but any small cooling fan will work as long as you can control the speed . I'm still at the mercy of room temp and humidity., mainly low humidity in my house. When it's really low I will cover the intake holes with a damp towel which works well as long as you remember to rewet the towel a couple times a day

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I hung it in the lit tent above the lamps for a day. How long does it take once cut to have any significant degradation?
Light will kill the turps as well as degrade the thc.
Next time try to avoid hanging it up with a light in the tent ⛺
The one day will effect the turps more then the thc I would imagine however it would have affected both to some degree
Good luck bud going forward 🙂

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

So I went and checked my controller settings and sure enough the Vent MIN setting was at zero, so no ventilation running when below the humidity threshold set. Changed to 2 and there is definite improvement at least to me. The wife’s spidey senses maybe not LOL, time will tell. Thanks for the comment!

With mixing late flower and drying what temp and humidity can I get away with?
I just had the same issue almost. I had 2 plants in my tent. One was ready at 8 weeks the other was supposed to be 9wks. So I went 8 weeks and 3 days chopped it and hung it in my tent with the lights off for two days. On 8 weeks and 5 days I chopped the other one. So I went two days longer on one and two days shorter on the other. The two days of dark for the one growing added some frost. It may not be ripe trichomes but they look pretty lol. On the two days of darkness I ran at 62f and 45-50% rh after I chopped the second one I went to 60f and 55-57% rh till they’re dry. I’m on day 5 and 3 of my dry. I don’t know if it’s ideal but it didn’t seem to hurt anything.

B

Budclarkson

Light will kill the turps as well as degrade the thc.
Next time try to avoid hanging it up with a light in the tent ⛺
The one day will effect the turps more then the thc I would imagine however it would have affected both to some degree
Good luck bud going forward 🙂
Yeah I still can’t wrap my head around the plant is dying in bright light and I cut it with the soil dry in the bag and hung at the top so it got some light while continue dying an drying up. Accelerated for one partial light cycle.

Checked this morning with the humidifier pumping in and the box fan sucking out of the box. Seemed like it was drying too fast so turned off the USB fan and the tent vent was still sucking air and moisture thru the box fan but at a lower pace. RH jumped to 55% in the box so I thought it was good.

Checked in the early afternoon and the humidifier wasn’t cycling right even with the probe in the box. Most of the buds were pretty damp, ugh. Pulled the plug on the humidifier and cranked the fan on the box.

Just checked a little while ago and still drying up some excess moisture. One in the far left I clipped 1st is where it should be. Temp is 63F and RH is 50.

So basically some buds got wet in like a light rain. Need those photos to finish and get my drying tent back.

PooToe

PooToe

Yeah I still can’t wrap my head around the plant is dying in bright light and I cut it with the soil dry in the bag and hung at the top so it got some light while continue dying an drying up. Accelerated for one partial light cycle.

Checked this morning with the humidifier pumping in and the box fan sucking out of the box. Seemed like it was drying too fast so turned off the USB fan and the tent vent was still sucking air and moisture thru the box fan but at a lower pace. RH jumped to 55% in the box so I thought it was good.

Checked in the early afternoon and the humidifier wasn’t cycling right even with the probe in the box. Most of the buds were pretty damp, ugh. Pulled the plug on the humidifier and cranked the fan on the box.

Just checked a little while ago and still drying up some excess moisture. One in the far left I clipped 1st is where it should be. Temp is 63F and RH is 50.

So basically some buds got wet in like a light rain. Need those photos to finish and get my drying tent back.
Try and raise the RH to at least 60%. I set my humidifier to 65% in the tent when I'm tent drying and leave the 5% to burp out once I get them into jars. I use an ACI T3 humidifier so I can set the RH level and the humidifier will maintain it without me having to check or turn the humidifier on and off manually to maintain the correct RH. 50% is too dry IMO.

If you really want to be exact buy a wood moisture meter and measure your flower moisture. 11% is where you want your flower to be at.

B

Budclarkson

Try and raise the RH to at least 60%. I set my humidifier to 65% in the tent when I'm tent drying and leave the 5% to burp out once I get them into jars. I use an ACI T3 humidifier so I can set the RH level and the humidifier will maintain it without me having to check or turn the humidifier on and off manually to maintain the correct RH. 50% is too dry IMO.

If you really want to be exact buy a wood moisture meter and measure your flower moisture. 11% is where you want your flower to be at.
Wasn’t able to get the RH above 50 in the box with the fan running. Even with the outside air 55-60. And the tent at 55. Pumping in moisture into the box got everything wet so cancelled that.

The 1st cutting is dry and will be moving that out.

Cut the 1st photo today in the other tent and will be turning off the lights and moving everything to dry in there.

B

Budclarkson

I just had the same issue almost. I had 2 plants in my tent. One was ready at 8 weeks the other was supposed to be 9wks. So I went 8 weeks and 3 days chopped it and hung it in my tent with the lights off for two days. On 8 weeks and 5 days I chopped the other one. So I went two days longer on one and two days shorter on the other. The two days of dark for the one growing added some frost. It may not be ripe trichomes but they look pretty lol. On the two days of darkness I ran at 62f and 45-50% rh after I chopped the second one I went to 60f and 55-57% rh till they’re dry. I’m on day 5 and 3 of my dry. I don’t know if it’s ideal but it didn’t seem to hurt anything.
I think I’m at 4 days with the 2nd photo in thd dark not yet chopped. Got behind in time cutting it with everything going on and the bananas on the CBD found I dealt with. Chopping it and hanging it today.

I’m thinking you should be curing now and wondering if you had any negative affects. I didn’t plan on going so long but life happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom