Can someone tell me the TRUE reason for hard purple stems?

• Thread starter geralds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I always say it, if you want to understand Algriculture you have to go ask someone who has a Degree in Algriculture. Asking people who have no engineering experience in that field will get you nothing but people guessing and giving you 50 different answers, who do you believe? Exactly, u don't know who is correct and who is false. First off, It's never genetics and if anyone ever say that again get far away from them. Purple Hard Stems is never a genetics trait. Go outside where it grows naturally and find one, it doesn't exist.

Now, purple hard stems is a result of a few things happening simultaneously. It's a result of stress from TO MUCH LIGHT, to high of ppdf or umols/m2. The plant can't photosynthesis all that light. Lets go back to its roots and let's evaluate this the correct way directly from a Master Engineer. A cannabis plant uses light, water and co2 then converts it into sugar and oxygen as waste. It stores the sugar for 12 hours then uses it when lights out. It's like carbohydrates for plants. Cannabis plants are phototrophic, meaning it can create its own organic nutrition unlike humans, we get ours from food, our bodies can't create calories and protein on its own. LED lights are very intense unlike natural sunlight at 1500 ppfd the plant does not struggle like 1500 ppfd of light indoor. Natural sunlight and the environment is much absorbing outdoors than indoors and there is no reflection on sunlight and the sun rotates, it's not fixed. When light is fixed it beams one direction 18 hours, it's to much. Plus the added reflection from the mylar tents, its to much. Outside the light goes back to the atmosphere, indoors the light goes left right back to the plant, its to much. The plant has no choice but to photosynthesis all that light, it runs out of Magnesium very fast. Magnesium is the center molecule that builds cloroplast in chlorophyll,
magnesium is the center atom. That's why it's always the first to run out, purple is mag deficiency. Adding Magnesium will not fix it if it's depleting from to much light. It can't build cloroplast fast enough to keep up with Chlorophyll production as mag is deplete. This causes the plant to heat stroke itself and the stems turn hard as a slow growth factor. It's protecting itself. To stop this get a ppfd meter and stay under 375 ppfd in Veg and under 700 in flower without Co2 supplement.
My Uinderstanding is the Plant Uses up Potassium faster then Mg?

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

WEll finally one person mentioned TEMPERATURE under LED's
!!!

C"mon lets all wake up to the fact that under LED lights we need to get our Leaf Surface Temperature up the professor of yoour imagination says.

And unfortunately that doesn't mean 77 for ideal growth. WE practically need 85 Degrees (room) under LED's to hit an LST of 82!!!

Or add some CMH in there and check you LST and take some LSD. But don't forget at 80 degree room we really need almost 60% Humidity to have correct VPD in range as well?

D

Drgreenthumbs1

Hi guys, so this is my second grow with the same strain. On the last grow and this grow I’ve had purple streaking on my main branches, and solid purple on secondary branches that connect to main. The stems are so hard I can’t even crush them with my fingers to super crop. I had a pretty good mag deficiency earlier on and still see a few leaves here and there that show mag def, but overall most leaves are lush green. How can I fix this hard purple stem issue. Last grow wasn’t this bad.
Purple streaks are an early sign for Mg defiency. Water with Epsom salt and after a few days it should stop.

D

Drgreenthumbs1

WEll finally one person mentioned TEMPERATURE under LED's
!!!

C"mon lets all wake up to the fact that under LED lights we need to get our Leaf Surface Temperature up the professor of yoour imagination says.

And unfortunately that doesn't mean 77 for ideal growth. WE practically need 85 Degrees (room) under LED's to hit an LST of 82!!!

Or add some CMH in there and check you LST and take some LSD. But don't forget at 80 degree room we really need almost 60% Humidity to have correct VPD in range as well?
Purple streaks have nothing to do with either temperature

D

Drgreenthumbs1

Purple streaks have nothing to do with either temperature
Has nothing to do with temperature, however LED lights are causing more Mg defiency than HIDs so yes LED is a factor but if you’re regularly feeding with Epsom salt the LED won’t matter either

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
As cannabis plants mature, it's normal for them to develop reddish or purplish hues on their stems. This coloration can be particularly noticeable during the flowering stage when plants focus their energy on producing buds. In this case, red or purple stems are a sign of healthy plant development and not a cause for concern.

Additionally, as plants transition from the vegetative to the flowering stage, changes in the expression of anthocyanins and other pigments can lead to the appearance of red or purple stems. This change in coloration is a natural part of the plant's growth cycle and should not be a cause for alarm.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I personally do not pay any attention to stem colorization whatsoever, Ive worked with many different strains that are destined to have different colors throughout there growth.
If you are worried about plants health pay attention to the lower leaf colors or discoloration. The lower leaves are the first place the plant will visually show you there is a nutrient deficiency. This method has worked for me for many years with every strain I have worked with over the years:)
Happy growing😉

Almostthere

Almostthere

In my opinion hard red/purple stems are from being underfed. Whether that be from plain under feeding or from lockout. I only say this through my experiences. In coco it seems when its happened to me its from my e.c. spiking and not being able to take up nutes. In soil for me it happens if i just dont feed the plant. Once i feed the plant will start new green growth. Side note the red stems of leaves i believe is from the light...

T

TeW33zy

That early Mg deficiency probably didn't do you any favors on the purple problem. What light are you running and what is you strain? Most often I find that he purple comes along with to much calcium and the Mg is getting locked out.
That’s false

T

TeW33zy

In my opinion hard red/purple stems are from being underfed. Whether that be from plain under feeding or from lockout. I only say this through my experiences. In coco it seems when its happened to me its from my e.c. spiking and not being able to take up nutes. In soil for me it happens if i just dont feed the plant. Once i feed the plant will start new green growth. Side note the red stems of leaves i believe is from the light...
That’s false as well

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I learned by reading the threads over the years. No where else have I witnessed such disdain for edict communication ethos as cannabis forums.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I learned by reading the threads over the years. No where else have I witnessed such disdain for edict communication ethos as cannabis forums.
Not to mention the endless selfish hijacking of threads.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Really,
No need to troll it up in here, why don’t you be creative and ask a real question or give an opposing point of view instead of being a negative Nancy:)
Do you think

TeW33zy's​

written behavior is acceptable?

Top Bottom