Can we talk about PPM?

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

You indoor worriers keep dem PPMs low!!! For me? i dont usually rock a PPM check i just use organic recipes, but my AACT comes out 800-1000 PPM with just some good ol homemade worm castings and molasses. I have fed as high as 1500 PPM with no burning. But i grow outside in dirt thats bigger than ye average tent. I dont understand why such little food during veg? I like to grow em till they are hungry, usually about a foot tall in three gal pots and then start with 100 PPMs of fish, bumping it up by 50-100 weekly. That chart is seemingly for indoors, because i do 5 months veg and by the end of it they are eating 1000 PPM easily....I like to keep bumping it up until your riding the ragged line of almost too much, get a lil burnt tip and keep it there for a week then bump again. I also do that with my top dressings, i was putting TWO soup bowls of dry amendments weekly on em! I just watched a Advanced Nuts video with some outdoor 12ft plants and the dudes were saying that they lay it on in excess of 2000PPM. Outdoor growing, huge plants and huge dirt can take a lot more nutes, big plants eat more, huge soil bases create a buffer and living soil transfers nutrition thru the living soil food web.
Organic and chemicals measure different. Kinda like comparing kilometers and miles.

growsince79

growsince79

Found this list on growace.com:
  • Seedlings: 100-250 (nutrients aren't needed here, hence there's not a lot of particles needed)
  • First Half of Vegging Cycle: 300-400 (this is usually after you transplant, which still doesn't require many nutrients)
  • Second Half of Vegging: 450-700 (you'll start giving your plants more nutrients at this stage)
  • First Half of Flowering: 750-950 (your plants will be eating more as they grow, so they'll be taking in more nutrients)
  • Second Half of Flowering: 1000-1600 (this is when your plant's eating the most, especially if you give it additives)
  • End of Flower, Entering Harvest: As close to 0 as possible (this is when you'll be flushing your plants, so you don't want there to be a lot of particles leftover)

Would love to hear feedback from others here on these guidelines.

I'm suspect I knee-capped my last grow by overfeeding them; my PPM was in the 1500s in early veg. This round I am going to be more conservative and intend to use this guide unless feedback convinces me otherwise.
Are you talking 700 or 500 scale?

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Why would my compost tea be so different? Would it be the content of many different things beyond N? Do the millions of bacteria read on the PPMs? Or Fish Hydrolysate, thats what i mainly use for N and watch those PPMs but fish is rather readily avail, almost as quick as ammonium nitrate. Is it because the organic nutes need to be broken down and digested and turned into the same salts your applying?

Also outside with large plants is there rules of thumb like the PPM scale chart you have found, or would you apply the same PPMs to outdoor trees?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Why would my compost tea be so different? Would it be the content of many different things beyond N? Do the millions of bacteria read on the PPMs? Or Fish Hydrolysate, thats what i mainly use for N and watch those PPMs but fish is rather readily avail, almost as quick as ammonium nitrate. Is it because the organic nutes need to be broken down and digested and turned into the same salts your applying?

Also outside with large plants is there rules of thumb like the PPM scale chart you have found, or would you apply the same PPMs to outdoor trees?
Ime im sure it was the mineral contents in my compost and WC that drove it up...

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Theres a good read

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Read here. It explains why ppm is not really a good option for organics to much other stuff dissolved that the meter pics up. Like I say well over 2000ppm is often o issue with organics but can be dependent on the makeup of the ppm.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

You indoor worriers keep dem PPMs low!!! For me? i dont usually rock a PPM check i just use organic recipes, but my AACT comes out 800-1000 PPM with just some good ol homemade worm castings and molasses. I have fed as high as 1500 PPM with no burning. But i grow outside in dirt thats bigger than ye average tent. I dont understand why such little food during veg? I like to grow em till they are hungry, usually about a foot tall in three gal pots and then start with 100 PPMs of fish, bumping it up by 50-100 weekly. That chart is seemingly for indoors, because i do 5 months veg and by the end of it they are eating 1000 PPM easily....I like to keep bumping it up until your riding the ragged line of almost too much, get a lil burnt tip and keep it there for a week then bump again. I also do that with my top dressings, i was putting TWO soup bowls of dry amendments weekly on em! I just watched a Advanced Nuts video with some outdoor 12ft plants and the dudes were saying that they lay it on in excess of 2000PPM. Outdoor growing, huge plants and huge dirt can take a lot more nutes, big plants eat more, huge soil bases create a buffer and living soil transfers nutrition thru the living soil food web.

Dude, I use compost tea also but ppm doesn't really matter with that because it's not salts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom