Can whiskey be used for oil extractions?

• Thread starter DTG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DTG

DTG

Hi all . . .

I was curious if you could use a nice Whiskey or other fine booze to extract cannabis instead of isopropyl alcohol or butane?

Thanks . . .

DTG

FourthCity

FourthCity

Hi all . . .

I was curious if you could use a nice Whiskey or other fine booze to extract cannabis instead of isopropyl alcohol or butane?

Thanks . . .

DTG
Yes you can but I dont know why you would want to. Only the alcohol in the whiskey can extract the cannabinoids which will make it far less effective than other options with higher alcohol content not to mention you will be evaporating it anyway. You would be spending more money for something that does an inferior job.

DTG

DTG

Hi thanks for the reply. . .
The reason I ask is I was almost blown up a couple of years ago by my idiot friend who thought it was ok to walk into my extraction project trying to light his ciggy. Lets just say it was a bad day for him as he got a punch right in the mouth holding the smoke. He has never been invited to a trim & extract party since.
I know iso or butane is best, just hoped whiskey would do the trick.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

"Extraction party"
😂 😂 😂 sounds daaaaaaaangerous and scary! 🤣🤣🤣
For "extraction parties" i wouldnt reccomend anything else than dry sieve or bubble hash....worst case scenario get a mop and change your clothes ...you know......💚

Reactions: RR1
JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I would imagine that a cask strength whisky of 65% would work but it would be an expensive way of doing it

JJS009

JJS009

You can, the extraction will be less than a higher proof alcohol.
I tried with a few different whiskeys and vodka and it’ll catch you off guard, I wouldn’t try to settle in for the long haul with a bottle of it

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

I've only used grain alcohol to make tinctures and RSO. It had the highest alcohol percentage.

DTG

DTG

"Extraction party"
😂 😂 😂 sounds daaaaaaaangerous and scary! 🤣🤣🤣
For "extraction parties" i wouldnt reccomend anything else than dry sieve or bubble hash....worst case scenario get a mop and change your clothes ...you know......💚
They are not as scary as I made it sound. 3 of us would get together to extract our weed, now only 2 of us. Dry sift doesn't get out of the weed what I want & I don't really care for bubble hash plus it's not oil. I need FECO. Also when we extract, we soak outdoors & cook indoors with rice cookers or electric fry pans with a few extract fans as well as stand up fans,we have never had a problem until " smokey the bear" showed up. Lesson #5, don't let your other team members invite friends to the party. My fault I guess, I did know the guy just not very well.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Now only my 1 friend & I do the extractions, that way we stay safe & get a better split in the end.

Thanks again. . .

DTG.

DTG

DTG

Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.

We have decided to stick with the isopropyl as Everclear is not available here in Ontario, to my knowledge. That's why I thought Whiskey.
What I am going to try is to add maybe just a shot of 40 Creek to the extraction to see if it adds a little whiskey flavor.

Thanks again . . .

DTG.

RR1

RR1

Hi all . . .

Thanks . . .

DTG
I always use naptha. Not VM version, use a rice cooker or slow cooker outside. I use a fume hood, but have access to a real lab. Never make any solvent extraction inside without a hood. Unless of course you like emergency rooms.
RR1

Dan789

Dan789

Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.

We have decided to stick with the isopropyl as Everclear is not available here in Ontario, to my knowledge. That's why I thought Whiskey.
What I am going to try is to add maybe just a shot of 40 Creek to the extraction to see if it adds a little whiskey flavor.

Thanks again . . .

DTG.
I think you should re think the isopropyl alcohol...

DTG

DTG

RR1. . .

That is what I meant by extract fans, they are extraction hoods. Like I said we have never had a problem in many years of doing this. By naptha do you mean that gas you put in a camp stove? Is it non-toxic ?

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

DTG.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Go with 200 proof ethanol!

DTG

DTG

Dan789 . . .

Thanks for your reply & the articles, both were good reads.
However, I am not giving this to children & all of my children are 16 years old & older, so no chance of them accidentally drinking it, also I make sure all the alcohol is cooked off before I smoke it. I test it with the spoon test, scoop some out of the cooker & light it on fire. if it ignites quickly with a blue flame I cook it more, no blue flame & takes a bit to ignite it's usually good to go. I also eat more of this oil than I smoke, nice buzz if you decarb it.

Thanks again . . .

DTG.

growsince79

growsince79

I've only used grain alcohol to make tinctures and RSO. It had the highest alcohol percentage.
I use dry ice to make kief then soak the leftover in everclear for two minutes. Cook off in rice burner tnen mix and roll into a ball.

Last edited:
Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

I use dry ice to make kief then soak the leftover in everclear for two minutes. Cook off in rice burner tnen mix and roll into a ball.
Dang man, I'll have to give that a go. Thanks for the idea :)

growsince79

growsince79

Dang man, I'll have to give that a go. Thanks for the idea :)
Makes it not so messy and easy to work with. I like to tear off 1/4g and make a ball (about the size of a pea) and place in on a cracker and in the oven on 250 for 20 minutes. That might be too much for some people.

RR1

RR1

RR1. . .

That is what I meant by extract fans, they are extraction hoods. Like I said we have never had a problem in many years of doing this. By naptha do you mean that gas you put in a camp stove? Is it non-toxic ?

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

DTG.
Sorry, i'm a lab guy. Proper terminology for us is fume hoods. Whatever you call them, it's a smart play. Especially with butane, even static can set that shit off.
Naptha is what they use to clean steel before painting. Not NAPTHA VM!! That is the low vapor type. Regular naptha gives a better extraction than almost any other solvent that is readily available. Ether works better, but expensive, and damn tricky. Naptha evaporates off 100%. Thats why Rick Simpson adds a tablespoon of water to his extract at the very end. When the water is totally gone so is the naptha, as the boiling point of water is about twice that of the solvent. You can use toxic solvents, but you have to know proper temps to make sure they cook off completely. Perfectly safe. Been making/taking RSO for years, and only have a few twitches. No big deal. ;)
RR1

Latest posts

Top Bottom