Can you damage the water chiller with certain nutrition/supplements?

• Thread starter Fro5ty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Like the title says. Can you damage your water chiller with certain nutrients or supplements?

my friend has grown before, without a chiller. And he told me that some supplements can leave a certain “waste” in your RDWC system. Especially when it was powder based. He specifically suspected his root booster to be very filthy.

But will it damage a water chiller if it has to get true?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Like the title says. Can you damage your water chiller with certain nutrients or supplements?

my friend has grown before, without a chiller. And he told me that some supplements can leave a certain “waste” in your RDWC system. Especially when it was powder based. He specifically suspected his root booster to be very filthy.

But will it damage a water chiller if it has to get true?
Water chillers have a series of tubes/coils inside that the water circulates through. The water itself never touches any components inside the chiller to my knowledge all that is happening is the tubes/coils just go round and round. By time the water is pumped through all these coils and exits the unit it has been chilled. Just going off of my knowledge of chillers (I own one for my garage aquarium) it should be fine the only thing you need to worry about is if the nutrients cause a residue build up in the coils. I think it would take months if not years but its possible that you could start loosing efficiency/flow rate over time. Perhaps after every run you can try to pump a gentle cleaning solution through the system to help with preventative maintenance. Maybe some type of diluted solvent or something. I don't want you to damage your system so you need to do the research first but Im just trying to offer possible suggestions.

Ponky

Ponky

You had any experience? I’m thinking about Silica specially.
Just with aquarium chillers. Same issue. Scale and mineral build up. And salt creep. Silica will build up for sure. Make a hard glassy substance. But I think that FloraKleen can be used to clean them out. Or vinegar.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Just with aquarium chillers. Same issue. Scale and mineral build up. And salt creep. Silica will build up for sure. Make a hard glassy substance. But I think that FloraKleen can be used to clean them out. Or vinegar.
When you clean your aquarium chiller, do you pump the vinegar true your chiller in reverse? Or just the normal way?

Ponky

Ponky

When you clean your aquarium chiller, do you pump the vinegar true your chiller in reverse? Or just the normal way?
I soaked my aquarium stuff in buckets or just let then circuits a water and vinegar mix from a bucket. But that was with fish stuff.

Top Bottom