Cannabis and pets

• Thread starter inthegorge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inthegorge

inthegorge

I used to have a setter mix dog that found the 1/2 oz of schwag my ex had stashed somewhere in the house and he ate about 1/2 of that. He was a bit crazy when we got home and then napped for a couple of hours but from then on he would pick up my bag and place it in my lap....I always thought he wanted to do it again:-)

German shepherds are my absolute favorite breed...had one as a child and have been hooked on the gorgeous creatures ever since. I used to breed coated (long haired) shepherds and after my most wonderful buddy in the whole world, Strider, died when he was almost 16 I am and forever will be heartbroken. Our female passed a couple of years later at nearly 14 and then I was left shepherdless for a couple of years. Watched petfinders for at least 2 years, did a search almost every day and found my Zeus who looks almost just like my last best friend needing a home desperately. Here is a pic...pardon the mess...it was at my daughters house:-) Love him, love him, love him and while the first 6 times he had a seizure it was horrible to witness, the last time was just agony for him as well as me. Found a few articles about dogs and cannabis and in miniscule doses it does not seem to harm them but again....I would never want to be the cause of any discomfort or "bad trip" for my wonderful friend! If my growing adventure is as successful as I am hoping it will be I will be breeding coated shepherds in my old age:-)
Facebook  316806567

vaporedout

vaporedout

Our cats eat the fan leaves as well. They love em. Maybe try those, he may eat it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I did a cursory search and did not find a thread but I can't imagine there is not one here yet so I probably missed it. Has anyone had any experience with seizure disorder in dogs and treatment with cannabis? I have a 10 year old shepherd and he is my closest friend. He was a rescue dog and we got him when he was around 4ish but who knows for sure as he was a stray. He had his first seizure with us after about 7 months and we took him to the vet, had a bunch of bloodwork which showed nothing unusual and since he did not have any more right away the vet said just watch and see if he has anymore. He has had I think in the 6 years he has been with us. First, second and third I took him to the vet but each time they did extensive blood work and nothing untowards was revealed so they still said not to worry and just keep an eye on him so did not take him to the vet the last 4 times until last week when he had a really severe grand mal seizure that was agonizing to watch. Took him to the vet and still nothing out of the ordinary in his blood work but now they want to start him on Phenobarbitol which he will never come off of...will have to take for the rest of his life.

My question is has anyone ever treated their dog with seizure disorder with cannabis? I could give him few drops of weed/olive oil on his home made food twice a day and I think that would be much better for him than Phenobarbitol but just wondered if anyone has any experience using weed products on their dogs?
I know a gal on FB who says she cured her bulldog of cancer using Phoenix Tears. There was an article in the Huffington Post and some other publications about it, too.

But that's different from a seizure disorder. However, the good news is that, at least based on a news story I read a few weeks ago, there are a whopping TWO animal mortalities that were attributable to cannabis--a cat and a horse. Dogs can be made very, very sick, so dosing is important, but if it were *me* in your position, I would make or acquire some oil, and then, depending on the dog's size, begin with what would be, say, a quarter dose for a human being, see how the animal responds. About a pea size is what was recommended when I inquired about a friend's sick Doxie.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I agree with the quarter dose..We gave our greatdane (102lbs) a Half dose, and it was a too much I think
But, it wore off and she was fine after 4 or 5 hours

expert_cbd

expert_cbd

I want to share my story. My dog suffered from stress after losing its owner. The previous owner threw the dog on the street. The dog's hair fell out. She was aggressive and lost. CBD for pets helped her get back to normal. I used Alpinol's CBD oil. I learned about everything from this article, and decided to try.

Top Bottom