Cannabis Coconut Oil?

• Thread starter nbboutique
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nbboutique

I have a bunch of trim I would like to work up into coconut oil - Is is ok to can this up for long term storage in pint jars and then store in a cool dark place?

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I use coconut oil for caps too. I decarb the weed first and then heat it in the oil and strain. I have never tried to do any storage except in the refrigerator/freezer but coconut oil is supposed to have antibacterial properties so it may be fine. We store the straight oil un-refridgerated and it doesn't go bad. I do know that canna-butter does go moldy even in the fridge after enough time though.

N

nbboutique

I regularly utilize coconut oil for caps, & for a salve. Are you saying for storage?
PS my preferred method is the “magic butter maker”.
Yes, for storage, i would like to make a bunch and can it up in jelly jars to keep it fresh, i am only adding a spoonfull to my coffee and with kids in the house(teenagers) i would rather not have a half gallon of the stuff available in the fridge :(

hfmedicinals

hfmedicinals

Coconut oil becomes a solid at anything below 76 degrees. It will last just fine for st least a couple years if kept in a cool dark place.

My caps are stored in a dark glass bottle at room temp, but only because I don’t keep these kinds of products in public view (fridge).

gwheels

gwheels

freeze it...the plant matter that may be in the coconut oil can cause it to mold at room temp....butter is worse.

I now freeze my coconut oil in ice cube trays (each is 2 tablespoons) then if i bake something that takes a cup i know i need 8 ice cubes.

Kiwichick

Kiwichick

Yes, for storage, i would like to make a bunch and can it up in jelly jars to keep it fresh, i am only adding a spoonfull to my coffee and with kids in the house(teenagers) i would rather not have a half gallon of the stuff available in the fridge :(
I make coconut infused oil for all my edibles and store in large coffee jars in the pantry. Also great for making salves and lotions

Kiwichick

Kiwichick

I have a bunch of trim I would like to work up into coconut oil - Is is ok to can this up for long term storage in pint jars and then store in a cool dark place?
Store in air tight jar in a cool dark place. Never store in fridge as it’ll go rock hard and be hard to use.

Kiwichick

Kiwichick

freeze it...the plant matter that may be in the coconut oil can cause it to mold at room temp....butter is worse.

I now freeze my coconut oil in ice cube trays (each is 2 tablespoons) then if i bake something that takes a cup i know i need 8 ice cubes.
No it won’t ever go moldy at room temperature. I have 400mg air tight coffee jars that I keep in the pantry. Lasts forever unlike butter

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Old thread but great question.

I learned it is good for 18 months in a cool dry place. This artical supports that. Gives ways you know its bad too. Consider with plant material in the coconut oil the lifespan may be shorter.

We keep ours in blocks for cooking in the fridge. One block makes 24 cupcakes I think. Mrs MMG is the baker in the house. She also makes home made chocolate candies in a few shapes and flavors.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Forgot to attach the article.

😟
Screenshot 20200126 171346 Chrome

Kiwichick

Kiwichick

Old thread but great question.

I learned it is good for 18 months in a cool dry place. This artical supports that. Gives ways you know its bad too. Consider with plant material in the coconut oil the lifespan may be shorter.

We keep ours in blocks for cooking in the fridge. One block makes 24 cupcakes I think. Mrs MMG is the baker in the house. She also makes home made chocolate candies in a few shapes and flavors.
I don’t keep my oil for that long as I have so many products to make. Having said that my oil has been in the pantry for 9 months and is delicious

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don’t keep my oil for that long as I have so many products to make. Having said that my oil has been in the pantry for 9 months and is delicious

I just asked Mrs. MMG and she said she gets rid of old blocks in the fridge 6-9 months. We always have a bunch of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom