Cannabis Drying/Curing Refrigerator - Build Questions - Need Help!

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Im a longtime grower of both indoor and outdoor. Space is a premium in our home and as such the hanging and drying process can be a bit challenging. I live in Southern California and our summers are hot and we get very little rain with common dry patches. Humidity regularly goes below 20%. Over the years I have always chopped my plants and hung them to dry inside my closet with a humidifier/dehumidifier controller. During the winter months when the temps are cooler I will sometimes hang the plants upside down in my garage grow tents once again with the humidifier/dehumidifier controller. My wife is getting tired of the whole house smelling like Kush so I want to move my entire drying/curing operation into the garage permanently. During the summer months my garage gets well over 90F which is a big no no for drying. Originally I was gonna bite the bullet and purchase one of these nice Cannatrol units for $1600...
Cannatrol

However after reading on their website I see that this unit is only designed to be operated at room temperature. This does me no good because my garage is over room temperature most of the time. I read around on a few of the other grow forums and it looks like people have modified traditional refrigerators to be used for drying/curing. Can anyone comment on this? Perhaps someone can send a link or article my way that can assist me in this build. Apparently there is a way to rig the refrigerator so that it can cool off while putting out no extra humidity. Is this true? I'm a pretty handy person and can likely tackle a build so long as its not too difficult. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Anthem

Anthem

Im a longtime grower of both indoor and outdoor. Space is a premium in our home and as such the hanging and drying process can be a bit challenging. I live in Southern California and our summers are hot and we get very little rain with common dry patches. Humidity regularly goes below 20%. Over the years I have always chopped my plants and hung them to dry inside my closet with a humidifier/dehumidifier controller. During the winter months when the temps are cooler I will sometimes hang the plants upside down in my garage grow tents once again with the humidifier/dehumidifier controller. My wife is getting tired of the whole house smelling like Kush so I want to move my entire drying/curing operation into the garage permanently. During the summer months my garage gets well over 90F which is a big no no for drying. Originally I was gonna bite the bullet and purchase one of these nice Cannatrol units for $1600...
View attachment 1224225
However after reading on their website I see that this unit is only designed to be operated at room temperature. This does me no good because my garage is over room temperature most of the time. I read around on a few of the other grow forums and it looks like people have modified traditional refrigerators to be used for drying/curing. Can anyone comment on this? Perhaps someone can send a link or article my way that can assist me in this build. Apparently there is a way to rig the refrigerator so that it can cool off while putting out no extra humidity. Is this true? I'm a pretty handy person and can likely tackle a build so long as its not too difficult. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
Try looking up home brewing beer. I know they use refer's in a similar fashion.

freezeland2

freezeland2

View attachment 1224225
If I were going to do a DIY drying refrig I would cut a duct hole in the side. Pop rivet a dryer duct fitting to it over the hole. Put a Inkbird sensor in it and duct it to a dehumidifier. Run the dehumidifier off the Inkbird. The refrigerator thermostat should control temp.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

If I were going to do a DIY drying refrig I would cut a duct hole in the side. Pop rivet a dryer duct fitting to it over the hole. Put a Inkbird sensor in it and duct it to a dehumidifier. Run the dehumidifier off the Inkbird. The refrigerator thermostat should control temp.
What would happen if I just put the little dehumidifier and inkbird right inside the fridge down on the bottom? So instead of cutting a whole in the side just set it in there and then close the door. The magnetic door seal might simply close shut on the chord so long as its not too fat. I know the fridge will make high humidity so the machine would be running nonstop to counter for this but do you think it could work? Remember the target temp is 60 so that means the fridge will likely be set on its highest temp setting therefore it will run only half as much. Thoughts?

freezeland2

freezeland2

What would happen if I just put the little dehumidifier and inkbird right inside the fridge down on the bottom? So instead of cutting a whole in the side just set it in there and then close the door. The magnetic door seal might simply close shut on the chord so long as its not too fat. I know the fridge will make high humidity so the machine would be running nonstop to counter for this but do you think it could work? Remember the target temp is 60 so that means the fridge will likely be set on its highest temp setting therefore it will run only half as much. Thoughts?
The exhaust of the dehumidifier will be hot.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Only one way to see if your idea will work. Do a test run with no bud to see if it’s even feasible to control the environment with a dehumidifier inside. Must be a big ass refrigerator or miniature dehumidifier, lol.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

The exhaust of the dehumidifier will be hot.
This is the tiny Dehumidifier I have. It's an Amazon special its little only good for tiny bedroom or closet up to 225 square feet. My wife uses it in her bedroom when Im not using it for a harvest. It only pushes out a tiny little bit of air when its running and to my knowledge not very much heat at all. Very minimal. If it doesn't put out too much warm air you think it could work?
Dehumidifier

freezeland2

freezeland2

This is the tiny Dehumidifier I have. It's an Amazon special its little only good for tiny bedroom or closet up to 225 square feet. My wife uses it in her bedroom when Im not using it for a harvest. It only pushes out a tiny little bit of air when its running and to my knowledge not very much heat at all. Very minimal. If it doesn't put out too much warm air you think it could work?
View attachment 1224229
Do a dry run test and see if you can establish the target environment.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Wrong. The whole action of curing is to get rid of the chlorophyll. That's what makes it harsh and hides the full flavor.
Chlorophyll sublimates with water at very low temps which allows it to be quickly extracted along with the water.
Hell nah those trichomes have to cure plain and simple. You can't turn a plum into a prune in 3 days. Same applies for bud

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Bullshit! Curing is a time process just like wine
Define cured.

You can directly jar up freeze dried weed which eliminates the smell which is what the op is going for. You can still put those jars on the shelf for a month if you want to. I can say that to me freshly freeze dried weed is pretty harsh in a pipe. I would not call it cured in the traditional sense. Chemically it is tho and can be put directly into extraction processes if that is what you are doing. Cure is more about taste if you smoke it.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Define cured.

You can directly jar up freeze dried weed which eliminates the smell which is what the op is going for. You can still put those jars on the shelf for a month if you want to. I can say that to me freshly freeze dried weed is pretty harsh in a pipe. I would not call it cured in the traditional sense. Chemically it is tho and can be put directly into extraction processes if that is what you are doing. Cure is more about taste if you smoke it.
Cured means taste like it's supposed to and look like it's supposed to. 3 days in the freezer isn't cured weed imo

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

They cure and sweeten up. That's why fresh kief hash even needs to cure so does fresh pressed rosin
No, trich's do not cure. I'm not sure where you heard that but it's Bro science. False info.
A trichome is at its highest potency when the head is swollen and milky. Anything past that is less.
Read the captions on the pics.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Cured means taste like it's supposed to and look like it's supposed to. 3 days in the freezer isn't cured weed imo
By that definition I agree with you.
If we are truly talking about freeze drying here as in under vacuum then it changes the appearance to something you would not appreciate

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

I hang dry 5-6 days then refrigerate afterwards for a day or two. Bud comes out compressed and smelling good but takes at least 2 weeks after before I would consider it somewhat cured

Top Bottom