CannaGranny’s Corner a Thread for General BS and Good Will

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Hey Zen, I’m around. All is okay here. Hope all is good on your end.
Just a few shingles off the house and garage so far. Oh, and a leak running down the chimney to the basement. Can’t fix that until spring. Flat and peak roof meet at chimney.

Waiting to hear from family across the country as they wake up. 🤞

Hope all was okay. Your last post about 6” water and still coming down was a bit ominous. Had a picture of you trapped on the she shed porch with water all round. 😝

Moms on a river where that’s happened more than once. 🤦

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Just a few shingles off the house and garage so far. Oh, and a leak running down the chimney to the basement. Can’t fix that until spring. Flat and peak roof meet at chimney.

Waiting to hear from family across the country as they wake up. 🤞

Hope all was okay. Your last post about 6” water and still coming down was a bit ominous. Had a picture of you trapped on the she shed porch with water all round. 😝

Moms on a river where that’s happened more than once. 🤦
Mornin Zen!
Yeah a few roof probs here too. I have a metal roof and the winds seems to have lifted something somewhere. Three days of torrential rains and for the first time ever my house is leaking. We will be calling roofing companies Monday.
Twelve years ago, my husband was working on our two story roof and fell off of it. Broke seven vertebrae in his back, seven ribs and one of the ribs punctured his lung. It’s a wonder he is still alive, much less walking! He was airlifted out of our pasture and sent to Springfield. Needless to say that retired his thirty year job of being a sea captain and we spent weeks rehabbing. Not to mention they kept him on an IV of a highly addictive drug, that he should have only had for a three day period. (Dilaudid) So we also had drug withdrawal problems. We are good today, but it’s been a long hard road. Needless to say, he won’t be checking out the damage.
The rivers here are flooded but going down quick. My heart goes out to all of the Mississippi folks that lost homes, family etc. We just never know, do we?
I’m glad all is good at your place, the roof can be fixed. Kind of funny what you described the water running round my sheshed as that’s kind of what happened! Good thing is when it finally stopped raining it runs down quick.

K

Kopper1013

so happy for all those safe, so sad for those that truly lost.

We’ve been having what seems like day to day problems in our home for a month and have been getting depressed over it all but events like this truly put our minor issues into perspective. Things could be so much worse.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Both of you should stay off your roofs and call a pro.
It is what I do everyday [ metal roofing] and no joke!
Hopefully you can get fixed up and move on.
Roofs are no joke. One wrong foot placement and there you go to the ground.

Shoveled off a few roofs from the snow storm recently and i fell off one of them, thankfully there was 4+ feet of snow to land in.

Ive put on prolly 400 shingled roofs and never fell until last week.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Both of you should stay off your roofs and call a pro.
It is what I do everyday [ metal roofing] and no joke!
Hopefully you can get fixed up and move on.
No worries I won’t be crawling on the roof! I’ll be calling some roofing companies Monday. Any tips about metal roofs or roofers I should know?

steamroller

steamroller

I've been climbing around a 5 story slate roof all winter doing the metal details.
If the climb up don't kill you short cut coming down will.
No worries I won’t be crawling on the roof! I’ll be calling some roofing companies Monday. Any tips about metal roofs or footers I should know?
If your roof is screw down metal you may just need new screws or to tighten the old ones back up. It is the rubber gromet that keeps it watertight.
Look at the edges for wind uplift. All edges require additional fastening. I see uplift and loose screws as the biggest issue with this type system.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

so happy for all those safe, so sad for those that truly lost.

We’ve been having what seems like day to day problems in our home for a month and have been getting depressed over it all but events like this truly put our minor issues into perspective. Things could be so much worse.
Hang In there friend. We all have times like that. I just refuse to let it get the best of me and accept that all things happen for a reason. I learned long ago that it is on me if I chose to hitch up my britches (nicer than saying big girl panties, just thought I’d point that out) 😂😂😅😂 and move on, or lay down and wallow in it. We have the power🥰

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I've been climbing around a 5 story slate roof all winter doing the metal details.
If the climb up don't kill you short cut coming down will.

If your roof is screw down metal you may just need new screws or to tighten the old ones back up. It is the rubber gromet that keeps it watertight.
Look at the edges for wind uplift. All edges require additional fastening. I see uplift and loose screws as the biggest issue with this type system.
We are on the same page! Thanks much. It is a screw down and it does have those rubber, I call them o rings lol and the wind here for the past two months has been crazy! This roof is 18 years old, with that said, would you retighten or replace?

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Roofs are no joke. One wrong foot placement and there you go to the ground.

Shoveled off a few roofs from the snow storm recently and i fell off one of them, thankfully there was 4+ feet of snow to land in.

Ive put on prolly 400 shingled roofs and never fell until last week.
I’m glad you’re okay! Thank goodness for the snow!

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I’m glad you’re okay! Thank goodness for the snow!
I landed on my feet thankfully, but the snow definitely helped with the landing cause it supported my legs from giving out and making me fall lol.

I remember as a kid i used to jump off roofs into the snow, now at only 26 i dont even wanna go up there anymore lmao.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I landed on my feet thankfully, but the snow definitely helped with the landing cause it supported my legs from giving out and making me fall lol.

I remember as a kid i used to jump off roofs into the snow, now at only 26 i dont even wanna go up there anymore lmao.
When I was 3, I caught my Mom not watching and I crawled a ladder up on a three story roof. My Dad was up there working. By the time I was made to put my arms around his neck and come down the ladder on his back, I was completely broke of roofs! Have not been atop of one since!

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

When I was 3, I caught my Mom not watching and I crawled a ladder up on a three story roof. My Dad was up there working. By the time I was made to put my arms around his neck and come down the ladder on his back, I was completely broke of roofs! Have not been atop of one since!
wow, that would prolly do it for me too. Roofs are scary lol.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

It for sure broke me of climbing and following Dad!
I used to work for my father and had to do all the climbing cause hes scared of heights.
This one job we did was in an old barn and i as on a 32' extension ladder fully extended, hanging lights in the middle of this barn with the ladder supports touching the bottom 2 or 3 inches of a 10x10 beam, one wrong move and i would've been going for a ride. Its unfortunate my father and i dont speak anymore, miss all those crazy jobs.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

My Dad was a darn daredevil. He was a deep sea welder on the Alaskan pipeline and I have seen him sit on a tiny swinging seat several feet high beneath bridges being built, welding. His only fear was pissing off my Cherokee momma! 😂🤣😅 He was Chickasaw and Irish, so that’s saying a lot!

steamroller

steamroller

Let the roofer tell you if it needs to be replaced.
The paint is supposed to be good for 25 years and I think even longer in many applications.
My guess would be larger screws would now be needed to really tighten up?
If you want to post pics I will look at them and give you my professional opinion.
I am not selling anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom