Captain's Log: Dispatches from Planet Milson

• Thread starter Milson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Suites your purpose just fine. I like rowing if someone is going to make me do cardio haha
Yeah....tbh i just don't have the energy to train weights. I don't love it like others do. Not for me lol.

But i do like being active. Next spring or whenever I can responsibly go, I'm going back to the climbing gym...now that I'm down forty pounds from when I was last on the wall i have a feeling it will be easier...and bouldering is just such an absorbing, meditative exercise for me.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Yeah....tbh i just don't have the energy to train weights. I don't love it like others do. Not for me lol.

But i do like being active. Next spring or whenever I can responsibly go, I'm going back to the climbing gym...now that I'm down forty pounds from when I was last on the wall i have a feeling it will be easier...and bouldering is just such an absorbing, meditative exercise for me.
If you dropped forty lbs you will be climbing those walls like Spider-Man. I went from 230 to 180 and went climbing and was blown away by how easy it was to pull myself. Then went down to 150 (not my plan but health issues) and now a pull up is easier than a push up haha

beluga

beluga

Btw, something from when I went on a food tour in Bangkok re: pad thai...over there, they add the condiments at the table. Spice level, lime, etc. All done to individual diner taste. I can pull up a photo later.

It's interesting to try doing on the plate and not in the wok (which they did in an alley behind the restaurant using Barrell and grate lol it was cool).
Yeah, it's very regional, too.
My uncle married into Thai culture... my aunt was an absolute beast in the kitchen and could drink anyone under the table.
I've seen pad thais that look like soup and I've seen pad thais that look like cacio e pepe. I think sometimes pad thai is just colloquially used as a name of a totally unrelated dish that a specific village or family bestowed the name on... it gets confusing.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
If you dropped forty lbs you will be climbing those walls like Spider-Man. I went from 230 to 180 and went climbing and was blown away by how easy it was to pull myself. Then went down to 150 (not my plan but health issues) and now a pull up is easier than a push up haha
Yeah i went from 220 to 180 roughly at 5'10". Feel like myself again really.

Depression sucks.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
My uncle married into Thai culture... my aunt was an absolute beast in the kitchen and could drink anyone under the table.
I've seen pad thais that look like soup and I've seen pad thais that look like cacio e pepe. I think sometimes pad thai is just colloquially used as a name of a totally unrelated dish that a specific village or family bestowed the name on... it gets confusing.
My understanding is it was a national pride thing after ww2.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

ive seen “authentic” pad Thai made with ketchup and that’s when I realized your notion.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Climbing is badass I have a lot of respect for that discipline. The weights and strength training became a cathartic valve for me when I got clean and out of the junkie life. Now it's maintenance for my mental space, keeps me alive and free.

Depression sucks.

Congrats man that's a life changing amount of weight to lose.

amekins

amekins

The weight game sucks. I am not quite 5’2”. I have weighed as much as 255 lbs. and as little as 103 lbs. at this height. I’ve had weight loss surgery (RNY) and had regain and reloss. It’s hard on the joints and heart and lungs.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
My wife and I make an extravagant meal together rather than exchange gifts for Xmas and the first one we did was ramen out of the momofuku cookbook. Great stuff.

Depression sucks.

That is a really cool tradition... Truly represents what the holidays mean... At least to me.

Nice job with the weight loss! Takes a mindset.
I've always struggled... I'm walking around somewhere between 250 and 260... In shape, I'm closer to 220... And when racing, I'd cut to 200.
But dammit... I like to eat.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
That is a really cool tradition... Truly represents what the holidays mean... At least to me.
Thanks! This year we are doing a savory bread loaf great british bake off style. Should be fun.

Btw, nobody has asked, but i will wholeheartedly say i had a positive experience with the Noom app for weight loss and my mother has as well. It takes a psychological approach to how and what a person eats that i enjoy.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Thanks! This year we are doing a savory bread loaf great british bake off style. Should be fun.

Btw, nobody has asked, but i will wholeheartedly say i had a positive experience with the Noom app for weight loss and my mother has as well. It takes a psychological approach to how and what a person eats that i enjoy.

I’ve heard good things about Noom. It was definitely a psychological problem for me so a psych approach makes sense.
my psych approach looked like a leftover cup of LSD wash for blotter sheets. I drank it, changed the way I look at food forever.

beluga

beluga

Yeah, wife doesn't refuse people coming to her for weight management per se, but she does insist they see a therapist first.
Dieting for weight management is often just another way of expressing a control issue that previously expressed itself in a "less healthy" way.
A healthy relationship with a variety of whole foods is paramount to omnivorous well-being.
And it's pretty impressive to see the dominoes tumble from there... a lot of other psychological issues and imbalances can be resolved through the gut.

Top Bottom