Captain's Log: Dispatches from Planet Milson

• Thread starter Milson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chemistry

chemistry

I used to veg stacks of cuttings while I was flowering others, but it became a second job, get home after work, shower, food, then start on my grow, got bored burning the candle at both ends, so now my veg has gone, and I just grow from seed to flower, and I now re-enjoy my growing, done making work for my self. 👍

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey y'all,

So, an update. After a confluence of circumstances that involve spider mites, switching up my medication (Lexapro), my dad's sudden changeup in mj consumption, and other personal stuff, I have pulled back a bit in my growing. Plants all look like shit in various ways.

What's still alive

Flower

Golden tiger
P.haze x 2
Panama x bangi haze

Veg

Killer A5 Haze
Ethiopian x 2
Dragon's stash
2 x my cross w fussy haze

Very sadly, some clones @Moe.Red generously shared succumbed to varieties of stress including but not limited to incompetence beyond either of our control (he did nothing wrong, they looked great...me, otoh?).

I'm probably pulling back on any pollen chucking experiments on the grounds that I don't need more chaos in my life ATM lol. This is honestly exciting because it involves work and potentially money, but I have chosen to ramp up the stress a bit in pursuit of that bc reasons.

I hope to get things perked up in the veg tent at least soon. Depending how things go I may just do some serious culling here soon and start fresh on some of my myriad beans. The killer A5 will def go to flower but idk about the others.
Sorry the clones didn’t work out. Black turned out to be above 3% THCV but still a really unbalanced plant. And all 3 were clearly different phenos. Honestly nothing to write home about except that one little spike. We can do it again later if your dad wants more thcv. I got more beans to try including diet Durban. Right now all my tents except dry are empty for the first time... well ever. Gonna switch to mushrooms for the summer. Seems eerie walking around the basement. I’m having to break muscle memory of fussing over 4 tents every night. Odd

MrToad

MrToad

Milson

Great thread bud..

I've been a bit of a fly on the wall as of late..

Going through divorce, selling house..flu..yada-yada.

It's life ...snakes and ladders...the down just make you appreciate the ups that much more.😉

I'm just living vicariously through you guys at the moment as I can't really chuck any beans until my transition is sorted.

Keep up the philosophical ponderings...

What cuts were you working Moe? Black...?

Anyway..Hope everyone is well..

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Milson

Great thread bud..

I've been a bit of a fly on the wall as of late..

Going through divorce, selling house..flu..yada-yada.

It's life ...snakes and ladders...the down just make you appreciate the ups that much more.😉

I'm just living vicariously through you guys at the moment as I can't really chuck any beans until my transition is sorted.

Keep up the philosophical ponderings...

What cuts were you working Moe? Black...?

Anyway..Hope everyone is well..
Hi Mr. Toad,

Thanks so much for stopping in. I am sorry to hear about your time in the chute, as it were. Hope things turn a corner for ya here soon and it's up an escalator! I am always so grateful that anyone would bother to read all or even some of this.

To answer for Moe, he is referencing THC Victory. The phenos were color-coded.

A bit of philosophizing from your resident increasingly ghostly green blob:

I have been reading a book lately by Evan Thompson, an academic out of British Columbia, about models of the mind (one of my long-time favorite pursuits) and the basic structures of biology (oh shit, I have been learning a whole bunch about that lately becauseT pot).

https://evanthompson.me/mind-in-life/ if you care.

So, early in this book, Thompson synopsizes three major schools of thought about the nature of mind i.e. what the fuck is going on in there:
  • Cognitivist: the mind receives inputs from the environment and translates those into some representation of the world i.e. when the physical neurons are in a certain state, that corresponds to a certain representation of the world as received via the senses, past experience, etc etc.
  • Connectionist: the mind is in a network with the outside world. this is the predominant theory today. Fundamentally, the problem is still treated as an input output problem i.e. the neurons are in a certain state and that corresponds to a certain representation.
  • Embodied Dynamicism: This is the theory the author subscribes to. It incorporates time to suggest that the question of "states" is practically speaking meaningless because time is essential to cognition. As such, this theory does not treat states as interesting. Rather, it uses Dynamic Systems Theory, which maps all the possible states a multidimensional plane and then describes the topology thereof. This allows you to talk about the behavior of the system without translating it into instantaneous states.
Any errors in the summary above are mine and not Thompson's.... what has been interesting to me lately has been comparing this topographical description of states to my intuitive sense of the mind as flame.

It has also led me to think about watching plants grow and how that could be likened to a very slow motion flame along several through-lines to do do with energy, cycles, outward expression....

Nothing that one can grasp, but watching the smoke dissipate after a hit of a Panama Red/Haze bowl during the golden hour on a Chicago Alley evening....

Just thinking.

I have been working on translating a lot of the thinking you see in pieces here around flows and thresholds into a curriculum/platform for teaching....it's been an ongoing thing, but I have finally figured out the data piping in the background and so it is feeling more alive than it has in a long while. Hooray!!

Hope everyone is doing great. My plants in the veg tent are perking up a bit, but I am in no hurry.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

To answer for Moe, he is referencing THC Victory. The phenos were color-coded.
Yeah, I ended up with several plants that tested in the range I want to be in with THCv. Still in cure so don't know if it works yet.

Just finished this on a recommendation by @Kanzeon 😉

Have you read it? Seems right up your alley. I learned about the Default Mode Network. I totally get where ego comes from now, and how SSRIs directly target that. And a lot more.
https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Mind-Consciousness-Transcendence/dp/1594204225

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yeah, I ended up with several plants that tested in the range I want to be in with THCv. Still in cure so don't know if it works yet.

Have you read it? Seems right up your alley. I learned about the Default Mode Network. I totally get where ego comes from now, and how SSRIs directly target that. And a lot more.
I just bought it and will absolutely check it out!
https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Mind-Consciousness-Transcendence/dp/1594204225

MrToad

MrToad

Hey Moe
Just curious...How consistent were the THCV numbers ...or rather what range did they test? Did the results support DP's claims?...Just wondering how much work Dutch Passion put into stabilizing the strain before they put it out

Cheers

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Glad you liked it!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey Moe
Just curious...How consistent were the THCV numbers ...or rather what range did they test? Did the results support DP's claims?...Just wondering how much work Dutch Passion put into stabilizing the strain before they put it out

Cheers
Well, if referring to THC Victory, I would say not fully stabilized.

But I have been getting THCV in several plants. I have a White Widow that is almost done with the cure. Super potent and enough THCV that the wife doesn't want to use it. Zoomy, racy, chaotic high.

I dunno man, I don't want to steer Milson's thread into a THCV discussion (we already burned up 2 threads on this lol, second one was when I got uninvited to participate by skeptic 😳, still don't know WTF happened there) but I will tell you straight up THCV by itself is not an answer for me. Still working the fuzzy edges now with lots of knobs and buttons at my disposal, I hope to have some positive, repeatable results soon. I'm light years ahead where I was a year ago. Just doing it for myself now because people can't seem to play nice about this stuff. I partially blame the marketing around the new THCV gold rush for that. I couldn't care less about the money side of this and I guess that pisses people off.

I have yet to get anywhere near the claims of THCV % by any seed source I have tried, including DP. But I also think I don't need more than about 2% to be successful, at least at this point.

One day I'll start a new thread and post my findings once they are more solid.

Sorry to pollute Milson.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Glad you liked it!
The first part - all the history - was a bit dry. But the research and writing style was top notch, so I went thru it all and still found nuggets along the way.

The second half of the book tho - outstanding. I had to listen to several parts twice.

If you are one of those people who wants to really understand at a core level the mysteries of the brain, you could do far worse than Michael Pollan. 9/10. You will walk away with just as many questions as when you started the book, but the questions will be of vastly improved quality. At least for me.

On to Neuromancer now for a break in theme. But I would love to come back to another one like Pollan's after that if you have any more suggestions.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I have been working on translating a lot of the thinking you see in pieces here around flows and thresholds into a curriculum/platform for teaching....it's been an ongoing thing, but I have finally figured out the data piping in the background and so it is feeling more alive than it has in a long while. Hooray!!
How does one apply / get accepted for Milson's school of brain warping? I could use another degree in something I will actually use as an adult.

MrToad

MrToad

On the other hand..Lol..I myself am like Cliff Clavin off of Cheers..I'm just a wealth of useless information..fortunately I have a business degree which gives me some credibility
🤣

QUOTE="Moe.Red, post: 2634487, member: 119200"]
How does one apply / get accepted for Milson's school of brain warping? I could use another degree in something I will actually use as an adult.
[/QUOTE]

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Lol sorry I just saw this.

Good news! This is the space!

To let you know I'm still on my bullshit....

IMG 20210530 112548315

The ceiling on this Panama is actually uncomfortable. Good lord this shit is strong as it cures. Actually getting some vanilla on one pheno?

The veg tent is recovered enough to flower, I think. Once I make that switch, I will use the veg tent for dry and then prob shut it down for a while, assuming yields are okay. Going to a one tent pace will probably be fine from there given my consumption.

Smithers

Smithers

I really enjoyed that one as well. Very thorough while entertaining. I love his writing style.

Ive read several titles by a somewhat controversial author Kurzweil you might enjoy. Lots about how the nitty gritty in the brain go. You might want an open mind at first if your not familiar with what he is about.

Thought I’d make the suggestion because I really enjoy some of his way crazy scary claims for soon. And the neocortex is fascinating to learn about.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I really enjoyed that one as well. Very thorough while entertaining. I love his writing style.

Ive read several titles by a somewhat controversial author Kurzweil you might enjoy. Lots about how the nitty gritty in the brain go. You might want an open mind at first if your not familiar with what he is about.

Thought I’d make the suggestion because I really enjoy some of his way crazy scary claims for soon. And the neocortex is fascinating to learn about.
I will add him to my list for poking around....

I have added James Gleick's The Information to my audiobook rotation. A history of "information" as an idea. Now it's the actual stuff off the universe, somehow? Dumdeedum

Good stuff.

Smithers

Smithers

I will add him to my list for poking around....

I have added James Gleick's The Information to my audiobook rotation. A history of "information" as an idea. Now it's the actual stuff off the universe, somehow? Dumdeedum

Good stuff.

That sounds up my alley for sure and I could use a mix up right now, I’ll check him out.

Smithers

Smithers

I bought The Information on audible. I LOVE the first 2 chapters. Phoneme study is a huge part of Kurzweil, he developed among other things, nearly all modern speech <-> text for English language softwares.

The thing about extra drum words in talking drums to specify context for drum tones that have multiple linguistic meanings - mind blown. That’s counter to compression of any digital file, and seemingly 100s of years before it’s time for speed of comms otherwise.

Been following along. Sudden jump in on your thread. I got some book thirst going. 👍🌞

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I bought The Information on audible. I LOVE the first 2 chapters. Phoneme study is a huge part of Kurzweil, he developed among other things, nearly all modern speech <-> text for English language softwares.

The thing about extra drum words in talking drums to specify context for drum tones that have multiple linguistic meanings - mind blown. That’s counter to compression of any digital file, and seemingly 100s of years before it’s time for speed of comms otherwise.

Been following along. Sudden jump in on your thread. I got some book thirst going. 👍🌞
Yeah man, starting with that chapter on drum language told me this was going to be enjoyable. Trying to imagine it and I can just about.....you get into some sort of spiritual rhythm and just let it go....idk man it sounds fun as hell when stoned.....

I'm only on chapter 3 but I'm loving it. Its discussion of dictionaries is something I feel in my bones.

Fundamentally, my perspective as an educator (standardized test prep) is to rescue as much of the process of acquiring knowledge as I can and lay it out explicitly so that students are connecting their world with their knowledge and not treating them as two spheres that occasionally intersect. Learning things by rote is only ever an imperfect shortcut or approximation.

I do this by focusing on how everything in learning for standardized tests is ultimately translation into different forms. When we are learning in school, we are often going through some greatest hits of translating things into useful forms, where "useful" is defined as "helps get you to the same place as the test makers want you to get to." I strive to have things "make sense," where things that make sense connect to other things we understand as true because they make sense, and it goes all the way back to sensory experience.

Students respond well to this and improve their scores quite dramatically, so now I'm trying to do the same thing but without me as a person doing the feedback and re-explanation.

So you can probably imagine how this book is interesting to me.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Claude Shannon has been added to my list of historical badasses....how did I not know about this guy.....

I think experience with pot/psychedelics, especially the latter, helps to dislodge information from the medium.

Are our bodies the media for something? What?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Claude Shannon has been added to my list of historical badasses....how did I not know about this guy.....

I think experience with pot/psychedelics, especially the latter, helps to dislodge information from the medium.

Are our bodies the media for something? What?
I'm flipping back and forth between psychedelics being just a drug experience and something "spiritual." My intellect says former, my intuition / emotion says the latter.

Answering your media question might tip the scales for me. I'll give Claude a listen and see what he has to offer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom