Captain's Log: Dispatches from Planet Milson

• Thread starter Milson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'm flipping back and forth between psychedelics being just a drug experience and something "spiritual." My intellect says former, my intuition / emotion says the latter.

Answering your media question might tip the scales for me. I'll give Claude a listen and see what he has to offer.
Wait sorry what is "spiritual" here?

I'm onto Turing and Shannon hanging out at bell labs. This book is tremendously interesting.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Guess I was thinking along the lines of Poulan and the ongoing debate among the heavy hitters about what really happens under the influence of LSD or psilocybin. Some say random firings similar to dreaming - just a drug experience with nothing deep going on, others say consciousness is not in the meat between our ears and the drugs allow us to tap into a much broader universal consciousness. It's described by many as a spiritual experience to tap into the interconnectedness of everything.

I don't know which is more accurate, or if there is another explanation entirely. Spirituality is a word that is (perhaps poorly) used because words often fail to properly convey the feeling of the experience.

Turing as in Alan? I need to catch up I guess. But that is pretty much the theme any time I try to hang with you.

Smithers

Smithers

Guess I was thinking along the lines of Poulan and the ongoing debate among the heavy hitters about what really happens under the influence of LSD or psilocybin. Some say random firings similar to dreaming - just a drug experience with nothing deep going on, others say consciousness is not in the meat between our ears and the drugs allow us to tap into a much broader universal consciousness. It's described by many as a spiritual experience to tap into the interconnectedness of everything.

I don't know which is more accurate, or if there is another explanation entirely. Spirituality is a word that is (perhaps poorly) used because words often fail to properly convey the feeling of the experience.

Turing as in Alan? I need to catch up I guess. But that is pretty much the theme any time I try to hang with you.
Something from Pollan’s book that I remembered (hopefully correctly, because it’s been a bit) is that it may suppress the ability for your brain to define edge barriers between objects and concepts. So you can feel at one with stuff you touch or think about. I think he was saying children don’t fully develop that skill until at least many years old... which is in part why toddlers are so bonkers - they are tripping all the time. We cannot get out of the box of categorizing everything as discrete as adults, and we lose visibly of the fuzzy connections without drugs.

Am I remembering the right book?

The Information - is spectacular right now I have to say. That’s what the Shannon stuff is from. Cheers

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Something from Pollan’s book that I remembered (hopefully correctly, because it’s been a bit) is that it may suppress the ability for your brain to define edge barriers between objects and concepts. So you can feel at one with stuff you touch or think about. I think he was saying children don’t fully develop that skill until at least many years old... which is in part why toddlers are so bonkers - they are tripping all the time. We cannot get out of the box of categorizing everything as discrete as adults, and we lose visibly of the fuzzy connections without drugs.

Am I remembering the right book?

The Information - is spectacular right now I have to say. That’s what the Shannon stuff is from. Cheers
Yeah, toddlers do not yet have a developed default mode network. It's something we develop to make short cut decisions based on past experience using less brainpower and energy. Toddlers don't yet have experience. For adults, we need it as a filter to actually get stuff done.

You got it right.

There is an ultimately unprovable hypothesis given current technology that psychedelics push pause on the DMN and return your mind to a childlike state.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Ah okay, that makes sense. Yeah I guess the trivialization of dreams is kind of weird there....as is not seeing what the difference would be with a drug experience (both are using perception for source material and the difference is time since the perception and the state of the "interpreter" I guess).

And yes, Shannon is one of the fathers of information theory I guess one might say. Really interesting guy that I'd somehow not learned about before.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Yeah, toddlers do not yet have a developed default mode network. It's something we develop to make short cut decisions based on past experience using less brainpower and energy. Toddlers don't yet have experience. For adults, we need it as a filter to actually get stuff done.

You got it right.

There is an ultimately unprovable hypothesis given current technology that psychedelics push pause on the DMN and return your mind to a childlike state.

I think the part about the DMN being part of setting patterns is a huge find. We are what we continually do, right? So essentially in my mind the DMN is responsible for the subconscious, or the ego, or the Zen concept of self and other. The patterns that we set in our minds are the ones that will play out in our lives, right?

Things like PTSD hang out in that realm (things like hypervigilance, oversensitivity to perceived threats, etc), as well as depression (comparing self to other). It's what sets patterns, so after a near ego-death experience I think there's a window for a person to develop new patterns- with newfound insight on their brain's past tendencies. There have been all kinds of stories of people quitting cigarettes or drinking after doing shrooms or acid, so the potential for it to treat addiction is there, Hypothetically someone with depression or addiction or autism or an eating disorder could, say, go to a retreat for a month where new, personalized, healthier patterns for them are developed.

That's the future of mental health treatment, imo.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

From personal experience, psilocybin works wonders for anxiety/depression. The analogy I like is our inner dialogue sets our mood/outlook and repetitive or compulsive ways of thinking that become problematic and effect us negatively are like bits of flotsam clogging a filter. As alluded to above, our brains are lazy and tend to follow the rut of predetermined paths (ways of thinking and interpreting ones environment) which result negative symptoms if certain paths are followed, more clogging of the filter. Psychedelics erase the pathways and make the brain establish new connections, possibly why there is a sense of childhood wonder. This also “unclogs the filter” so to speak, relieving symptoms by refreshing the way one processes things-for a while. If you don’t work at changing your defects or the way you react to your environment, the negative thoughts come back and clog the filter again. Psychedelics are just a tool, sometime years of therapy in a night, but you still have to do the work yourself.

PS-Milson, I just finished 2 SSHZ journals which led me here, kinda feel like a fan meeting a character from a show I’ve been binging lol

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
From personal experience, psilocybin works wonders for anxiety/depression. The analogy I like is our inner dialogue sets our mood/outlook and repetitive or compulsive ways of thinking that become problematic and effect us negatively are like bits of flotsam clogging a filter. As alluded to above, our brains are lazy and tend to follow the rut of predetermined paths (ways of thinking and interpreting ones environment) which result negative symptoms if certain paths are followed, more clogging of the filter. Psychedelics erase the pathways and make the brain establish new connections, possibly why there is a sense of childhood wonder. This also “unclogs the filter” so to speak, relieving symptoms by refreshing the way one processes things-for a while. If you don’t work at changing your defects or the way you react to your environment, the negative thoughts come back and clog the filter again. Psychedelics are just a tool, sometime years of therapy in a night, but you still have to do the work yourself.

PS-Milson, I just finished 2 SSHZ journals which led me here, kinda feel like a fan meeting a character from a show I’ve been binging lol
Haha you are way too kind but thank you.

I am currently down to the lowest dose of Lexapro someone gets prescribed. Doing better. I'm hoping maybe i can get completely off and, if so, i may come out of psychedelic retirement...we shall see!

My current run is almost done and then hopefully I can get back in the saddle with actual pretty plants!

Just saw some old college friends this weekend. The reviews for panama and haze were raves. Those are going to stay in the rotation for a while!

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

Lol.I've also been missing those weird, random Milsonisms that you drop! Good to see you on the farm again and even better to hear you're doing well with the meds.

By the way my MNS beans made it through our postal system and into my hands. So stoked!

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Haha you are way too kind but thank you.

I am currently down to the lowest dose of Lexapro someone gets prescribed. Doing better. I'm hoping maybe i can get completely off and, if so, i may come out of psychedelic retirement...we shall see!

My current run is almost done and then hopefully I can get back in the saddle with actual pretty plants!

Just saw some old college friends this weekend. The reviews for panama and haze were raves. Those are going to stay in the rotation for a while!
Not kind, just appreciate seemingly decent people, and there appeared to be several in those threads. It is refreshing to see a supportive and positive environment as until recently, the past 20 years have been spent working in a brutally toxic environment. I applaud the effort to d/c the lexapro unless it absolutely necessary. I don’t know your situation but I feel all too often pharmaceuticals are over prescribed and misused, or at least used with the wrong expectations and misunderstanding of side effects. I guess quality of life is the deciding factor. (I was a “med nurse” in a facility where most of the population was on multiple psych meds). I had a short fling with Wellbutrin that didn’t go well. I found self medicating works best for me, daily herb(s) and PRN entheogens.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Look who has some new friends!!!!!

Harvested golden tiger and my haze/hash plant today. Poor things bear the results of some depression lol bit will hopefully still have some smoke.

However, the next round is up! Making a clean break from the spring.

4 x Malawi (reg)
4x New Caledonia (reg)
1x Tikal (from)

All from Ace.

100% pop.

IMG 20210716 085313595

Ace calls Malawi the strongest sativa they know of. Probably their best seller (their panama will take some beating as regards amazing pot though...that and haze have been wonderful). I'm hoping it's fun in the early evening.

New Caledonia is a little island in the Pacific. The pot they describe as being very friendly and happy and energizing. They are super pumped about it and so am I.

Tikal is a cross of Guatemalan x some Kush/haze plant x Guatemalan. So 3/4 Guatemalan. Also supposed to be very happy and tasty.

So yeah, pretty much all sativa. I have found that i like to just coast into a landing at night rather than hammer myself to sleep with an indica. So far my leg pain has cooperated with that...the "depth" of the panama takes care of that.

Yay I'm very excited! Renewal is life!

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Pulled the smallest, dryest bud off of golden tiger, which went forever because reasons and long story short was smokeable....

Y'all this stuff has a very strong effect on auditory sensation and is just generally hoo boy. "Density" to a high is something I'm wrapping my head around, but this feels like it fits in that i can't really very easily see my way around it and it sits in all my thoughts. My inner voice sounds louder?

Anyway, yeah...ace sativas and haze is just going to be what I'm exploring for the near term...with maybe a pit stop over at widow.

My little seedlings are doing great. They are sativas so I'm hoping to flip at month's end and let them flower for a hundred days ish. Top at week two ish of flower....the vigor on these is just silly.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Pulled the smallest, dryest bud off of golden tiger, which went forever because reasons and long story short was smokeable....

Y'all this stuff has a very strong effect on auditory sensation and is just generally hoo boy. "Density" to a high is something I'm wrapping my head around, but this feels like it fits in that i can't really very easily see my way around it and it sits in all my thoughts. My inner voice sounds louder?

Anyway, yeah...ace sativas and haze is just going to be what I'm exploring for the near term...with maybe a pit stop over at widow.

My little seedlings are doing great. They are sativas so I'm hoping to flip at month's end and let them flower for a hundred days ish. Top at week two ish of flower....the vigor on these is just silly.
Just wanna say upon a fresh morning bowl.... I am delighted with the character of this Golden Tiger high. I was afraid it would be non-functional, but, while strong, it rides pretty nice. Much better than anything with afghani in it, which universally weighs me down (which can be great, but not if I don't want it).

Now to let the rest of it dry properly lol.

I feel as though this winter I got a little bit too graspy graspy with this hobby, but I have recalibrated quickly and honestly I am very pleased with where it is in my life at the moment. Pretty pretty sativas forever.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
That A5 Haze X NYC Hash Plant is a feisty hybrid. Good lord. Powerful, but has a sedative side that isn't great for daytime.

Now to let that site for a while.

Relieved that the struggles these plants had affected yield, but at least gave me some smoke.

boatbum850

boatbum850

You grew out the Panama x Bangi Haze & the Killer A5 Haze already didn't you ? Which ones have been the most tempermental ? IIRC anything with Thai & some Africans are really N sensitive . I just placed an order for Panama regs , Golden Tiger regs , Zamaldelica regs , Super Malawi Haze & Malawi x Panama . Malawi regs / fems out of stock . Should get enough Malawi leaners out of the 2 crosses to make seeds . I'm gonna reread & tag along .

Latest posts

Top Bottom