Carbon filter on intake

• Thread starter radical farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

radical farmer

Would it be a good idea to put a carbon filter on an inline fan for intake? I tried this once and it made the room reek like a dentists office! Carbon was all in the air, it made it so I could really not smell any plants! So it worked extremely well at cleaning the air, but is this good to be breathing in all that carbon? Is it good for the plants if all that carbon is being blown directly on them?

O

Overvegg

You shouldn't be able to smell anything with the carbon filter. I have mine on the exhaust end of a 409 cfm fan. It filters the smell as it leaves the room. I don't see why your carbon filter would have to blow on your plants?

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

well, most come with a pre-filter that mush be installed before use. I use one filter on the inside of the chamber pulling are in through it and blowing it out through a second filter on the outside of my chamber. I don't have any carbon blowing around. Are you missing the pre-filter?

O

Overvegg

Pre-filter is a foam mesh that goes on the outside of the carbon filter. It prevent debris from sucking or blowing through it.

O

Overvegg

Here it is the carbon filter with pre-filter, the fan is blowing through it.

DSC03005
R

robeartobrenton

my question is, how low of a fan speed do you guys keep your carbon filter on? - i hear if the fan speed is too fast it wont work properly?

B

bicycle racer

most of the carbon filters have cfm ratings for best results so it is easy to get a fan which has a similar cfm rating.

D

dooobster

To me, it doesn't make much sense to have a carbon filter on the intake side, since you don't need to deodorize the the air that's coming into the room, just the air going out...

R

radical farmer

Yes, I have a prefilter on my scrubber. What I'm saying is that my plants are getting TOO stinky at lights off, even with the carbon scrubber. I have a Goblin 6" carbon scrubber attatched to my 1000whps, then to a 745cfm inline fan to exhaust out of the tent. This is hardly even touching the smell at lights out! I even turn off the intake fan to get strictly negative pressure inside of the tent, and it still reeks. I've 24 plants in a 5x5 area. Most of them are cali connection gear too, so they fucking reek to high heaven! Good for my wife & I, bad for my neighbors...

What I'm asking is if it would be a good idea to now put a carbon filter on my intake as well. It will be literally BLOWING carbon out of the filter, into the grow tent (on the plants), BUT it also cleans the room air A LOT better. It literally smells like a dentist office in the room after leaving the carbon blowing into the room like that for about a half hour. It completely takes care of any odors, because its filling the room with carbon. I believe I've heard this refered to as "carbon scrubbing" a room. I'm just not sure if this is a good idea for me or my plants to be breathing in all that carbon. Will it do any harm?

O

Overvegg

my question is, how low of a fan speed do you guys keep your carbon filter on? - i hear if the fan speed is too fast it wont work properly?

I run mine on full blast 24/7 the fan and filter are both rated for each other though.

R

radical farmer

Hrmmm... that could be the problem of why it isn't touching the smell. But I also have a couple bends and turns, and even 90degree angels in my ducting connecting my filter->reflector->exhuast, so I think that the cfm is being heavily rescricted anyway, and I have a 745cfm inline fan.

O

Overvegg

Hrmmm... that could be the problem of why it isn't touching the smell. But I also have a couple bends and turns, and even 90degree angels in my ducting connecting my filter->reflector->exhuast, so I think that the cfm is being heavily rescricted anyway, and I have a 745cfm inline fan.

Sounds like your still over the cfm rating of your carbon filter. Mine is a bit closer matched in rating, and I dont smell anything at all. This is my second grow with it. I have the same bends and turns in my ventilation as you describe.

R

radical farmer

Yeah, looking around now, I see that my carbon filter is only rated at Optimal CFM Range: 265-350cfm. I just figured that with all those bends and turns that it would drop the cfm down a lot. I have a speed controlled hooked up to the exhaust fan, so I can turn it down tonight at lights off to see how that gets me. How the hell would I ever figure out how much cfm (approx) I'm actually working with? Thanks for the advice!

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Yeah bro, sounds like you either need to install a dimmer switch to you fan or just wither get a bigger filter that matches your rating or get a smaller fan.What I was trying to say is that I have a passive intake for my chamber. I draw air throught the carbon fiter inside my chamber it goes through my air cooled hood then is extracted outside the chamber through a second carbon filter. The second filter cause just enough drag on the system to make the inside filter work good. Good luck to you bro!

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Would it be a good idea to put a carbon filter on an inline fan for intake? I tried this once and it made the room reek like a dentists office! Carbon was all in the air, it made it so I could really not smell any plants! So it worked extremely well at cleaning the air, but is this good to be breathing in all that carbon? Is it good for the plants if all that carbon is being blown directly on them?

did you have the fan blowing threw the filter? make the fan suck threw the carbon filter

F

Freddy F

Hello im also interested in this, for light proofing air intake opening in my growspace and also improving quality of the Air introduced to the box. Would improve quality of air in sence of removing impurities that are present in the room where grow is that is also a living room or would be harmful for the plants as fellow @radical farmer suggested it would create harmfull environment for multicellular organisms. Ty, looking forward to contributing to the community.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Just get a second carbon filter and run a duct hose to it outside your tent. Or put on an aftermarket automotive reusable cone shaped air filter.

Itsnotmine

Itsnotmine

Could you run a 4inch fan with 2inch pipe work. Or would the fan over heat and strugle????? Just when were on topic lol

Top Bottom