Carlos Castaneda: How Do You Feel About Him?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

Who likes or hates Castaneda? I’ve read all his books, and his writings have had a huge influence on my life. People usually respond to this with, “you know he was a fraud, right?!?”, and my response is, “does it matter?”.

When I starting reading his books, I felt a truth resonating through me that I had never known before. Whether Don Juan was real or not, I feel strongly that Carlos did in fact have a teacher, and that he was approaching (or did achieve) a mastery of sorcery. I guess you could say a form of enlightenment.

I’d played with meditation and hallucinogens (and of course cannabis) in my early 20’s, but I felt like I had experienced and felt so many things that I couldn’t wrap my mind around. I couldn’t find anything in my life experiences, or American culture in general, to relate them to. Castaneda was like a breath of fresh air. Now, his writings are not my end-all-be-all by any means, but they sure helped steer me in a more positive direction in my life. Opened a lot of doors.

The concept of stalking still blows my mind. Still trying to understand it. But if you’ve read about the art of stalking, I think that a lot of the “fraud” surrounding Castaneda suddenly seems a little more palpable ;), and maybe even necessary.

Curious what experiences others have had with Castaneda’s writings!

K

kansabis

I'm not familiar with him or his writings,but some of the things you mentioned in your post I find intriguing and share similar interests,could you kind of summarize a few of your favorite things from him?

Perception

Perception

I'm not familiar with him or his writings,but some of the things you mentioned in your post I find intriguing and share similar interests,could you kind of summarize a few of your favorite things from him?

The first book is called "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge", and I highly recommend it. He claims that all of his books were based on his actual experiences.

Carlos was an anthropology student at UCLA in the 60's. He wanted to study medicinal hallucinogenic plants, so started looking for some Native American healers in Northern Mexico & the Southwest United States that could help him learn more. He meets Don Juan, and over the next 10 years, becomes an apprentice in the art of Sorcery. Through his apprenticeship, he learns to break the chains of perception (with hallucinogens as an aid at the beginning), and see reality for what it truly is. The narrative is incredibly explicit on how we are conditioned to perceive our reality in a false context, that has been imprinted on us through our culture.

Carlos presented the first book as his Masters Thesis at UCLA around 1968, and after it was published, it became a national (international?) best seller. When Americans found out that there was this kind of mystic knowledge still existing within Native American tribes of the SouthWest & Mexico, people went nuts trying to learn more, and find some of these teachers. It kind of started a movement in the United States, and had a big influence on the counter-culture movements that went on in the 60's & 70's.

He wrote 10(?) books total I believe, and ultimately a big scandal unfolded around him and many people claimed he was a fraud. Was he? We don't really know. There is still a lot of mystery around the whole situation. You'll need to research yourself to decide what you think ;). But I highly recommend you read at least a couple of the books before you make your judgements.

Last edited:
Perception

Perception

My favorite things? God, it's hard to say. He is an excellent writer, and has the ability to explain very complex concepts in a way that is understandable. I TORE through his books at the beginning. Had to go back and read them again a couple years later, and felt like I picked up so many things the 2nd time that I hadn't noticed at first. Complex material, but not overly difficult to read and understand. I'd say just check out the first book - You'll know if you are hooked pretty quickly.

K

kansabis

Sounds right up my alley,I always find that good books end up getting read multiple times. I love deep complex material that makes one think and not just collect data,they say we only use a tiny fraction of our brains ability and I completely believe and understand why,not to mention the part of native American wisdom and medicinal(hallucinogenic plants) really draws me in,I love old time cultures especially that are rooted in nature as well as shaman type things.

firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
Thank you very much for the topic thread. My advice is before doing any of his teachings or saying some conclusions ... read all his books. (just as you did) I can tell you things about telepathy, the Creator, it's Аll One, change of weather from the will, rain of desire, desire come true, or you'll either find me mad or you'll laugh at me, but the more scary is that you can believe me.
Salute
Fungim004

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Who likes or hates Castaneda? I’ve read all his books, and his writings have had a huge influence on my life. People usually respond to this with, “you know he was a fraud, right?!?”, and my response is, “does it matter?”.

When I starting reading his books, I felt a truth resonating through me that I had never known before. Whether Don Juan was real or not, I feel strongly that Carlos did in fact have a teacher, and that he was approaching (or did achieve) a mastery of sorcery. I guess you could say a form of enlightenment.

I’d played with meditation and hallucinogens (and of course cannabis) in my early 20’s, but I felt like I had experienced and felt so many things that I couldn’t wrap my mind around. I couldn’t find anything in my life experiences, or American culture in general, to relate them to. Castaneda was like a breath of fresh air. Now, his writings are not my end-all-be-all by any means, but they sure helped steer me in a more positive direction in my life. Opened a lot of doors.

The concept of stalking still blows my mind. Still trying to understand it. But if you’ve read about the art of stalking, I think that a lot of the “fraud” surrounding Castaneda suddenly seems a little more palpable ;), and maybe even necessary.

Curious what experiences others have had with Castaneda’s writings!
Great author.!!!! Loved his works. And your correct he wrote 10 before all the haters attempted to discredit him. Peeps can call him what they will, but no matter if he was or not his work was fascinating...…

Like my mentor always taught me, our teachers can come from anywhere, any walk of life, culture, or age. We just have to have a mind and heart open to hear the message and teaching.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom