Ceramic MH 830 watt

• Thread starter noone88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

noone88

Google search "philips allstart 830w" (don't want to link due to privacy issue). They fire off of a magnetic 1000w ballast.

I'll be swapping my dual arcs for these in one of my rooms. I'll keep you guys updated on how they perform.

http://i.invalid.com/1NBayAq.jpg

cannabeans

cannabeans

I read a while ago in Skunk magazine, that "The Rev" had tested these types of bulbs and he didnt think they were good for plants. I would like to hear your views when they are up and running....

N

noone88

I've been using the 400watt CMH for vegging and they work great.

I do, however, mix bulbs in my flower rooms. I use a 1:1 HPS to Dual-arc ratio in my vertical rooms. I plan on doing the same thing with the ceramics.

Reebs

Reebs

the Ceramic MH's are just the HPS to MH convesion bulbs correct? i run a 400W HPS to MH conversion bulb for veg and honestly couldn't be happier. from what i've read out of the HPS and MH light spectrum, the Conversion bulbs are better

i do have a dual arc bulb i've been waiting to test out, wasn't sure if i wanted to use it for veg or supplementary lighting in the last few weeks of flowering..

can anyone list the growth they got from an dual arc compared to HPS or MH? or the conversion bulbs?

homebrew420

homebrew420

CMH is THE SHIT! I have run 400w conversion lamp and it was nearly as good as the HPS in flower. produces some great veg growth, not that the other lamps don't work though.

W

willy led wonka

Dnalighting.com has a new 900 watt cmh bulb. They are also partnering up with Growlite and the OG hoods to come up with the best of both worlds. Dnalighting is also working on the ballast for these bulbs also. You can check out Heavy T's grow show episode #96. Growlite and DNA are on there discussing the new technology.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Dnalighting.com has a new 900 watt cmh bulb. They are also partnering up with Growlite and the OG hoods to come up with the best of both worlds. Dnalighting is also working on the ballast for these bulbs also. You can check out Heavy T's grow show episode #96. Growlite and DNA are on there discussing the new technology.
do you have a link to the full show? the one on their website cuts off before the cmh discussion. btw, dnalighting is a chinese induction lamp mfg (prob just a mkting subsid of one of the main factories)

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

the Ceramic MH's are just the HPS to MH convesion bulbs correct?
don't think so..
i run a 400W HPS to MH conversion bulb for veg and honestly couldn't be happier. from what i've read out of the HPS and MH light spectrum, the Conversion bulbs are better
where did you read that?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

UV-related Characteristics
  • Damage Factor D/fc
    0.3 -​
  • PET (NIOSH)
    207 h500lx​
  • UV A
    9.5 mW/cm2​
  • UV B
    0.03 mW/cm2​
  • UV C
    0.03 mW/cm2​

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

the 860/830w model(s?) is vert-only, open fixture rated (internal protective sleeve)

Screen Shot 2013 03 14 at 32233 PM

looks like maybe a little pr/pfr action there? could get stretchy with those green peaks too.

dextr0

dextr0

Cmh is more like Hps and Mh wrapped into one badass bulb.

The 400s (which I owned) are big and bulky, this was a big marketing point as the bulb wouldn't bust in most cases. Add a nice spectrum that puts out close as fuck nodes...you got a winner IMHO. Most slept on em.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

the 400 (330w really) seems a lot less attractive on it's own for flowering than the 860/830w version, considerably less 6-700nm. kind of lacking for straight veg too, compared to high-end blue mh.

Screen Shot 2013 03 14 at 63149 PM
Screen Shot 2013 03 14 at 63159 PM

dextr0

dextr0

I should have looked up the bulb u talking about. We are speaking of two diff 400w bulbs. I'm on the AltoImage

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I should have looked up the bulb u talking about. We are speaking of two diff 400w bulbs. I'm on the AltoView attachment 297892
so how do those compare for yield vs 400hps or mh you've used? alto graph does look nicer than the allstart 330. i think this new one is the only serious wattage cmh so far, if it's even available yet?

and the big ol bt56 globes would add that vintage oldschool look everyone's after these days

N

noone88

860 watt now, the 830 watt got discontinued for some reason.

The main issue right now is that they come in a flimsy box. I ordered two; one of them arrived broken. And since they aren't carried by your typical hydro supplier, getting them RMA and all that nonsense takes a while.

Even though it's a metal halide bulb, it only fires when my ballast is set to HPS. Don't know wtf is going on.

The bulb burns differently than all my other Philips 400 CMH even though the kelvin is approximately the same (3700K vs 4000K)

I have them running compared to a hortilux HPS and a hortilux dual-arc.

Will keep you updated.

GanjaFunkExpress

GanjaFunkExpress

im super interested in these bulbs and the dna lighting products....
is that what you are using noone88?

i run vertical bare bulb, seems like these things should be perfect for that aplication since they are made to be vertically mounted in a hood or bare bulbs.
spoke w company rep peoples at the denver gro expo, seemed like good peeps, saw their lil gadget readout the spectrum, just like on their adds, its a killer amount of light from nearly all spectrums, the 800ish bulb im talking about..... they were in these "custom" og hoods, pretty nice product also, bt id run them vertical bare bulb.

glad to see this conversation happeing ill stay tuned.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm subbed, definitely want to see the results of noone's testing! I'm always interested in new ways to do things, and improvements to gear, even incremental, are always welcome.

N

noone88

im super interested in these bulbs and the dna lighting products....
is that what you are using noone88?

i run vertical bare bulb, seems like these things should be perfect for that aplication since they are made to be vertically mounted in a hood or bare bulbs.
spoke w company rep peoples at the denver gro expo, seemed like good peeps, saw their lil gadget readout the spectrum, just like on their adds, its a killer amount of light from nearly all spectrums, the 800ish bulb im talking about..... they were in these "custom" og hoods, pretty nice product also, bt id run them vertical bare bulb.

glad to see this conversation happeing ill stay tuned.

Yes, it is the exact same bulb as dna lighting products.

***.bulbs.com/espec.aspx?ID=21230 (replace * with w)

Need some time to figure it out. Half way through the cycle, but I haven't made any comparisons yet.

I'm more worried about long term effects on the ballast. I don't know why it fires at the HPS setting (it also fires on the MH setting, but inconsistently). I don't know how the magnetic ballast capacitors are going to handle all the extra wattage that is going to waste.

Vertical is the way to go. You lose too many lumens compared to standard 1000w hps if you do horizontal lighting.

Lastly, like all MH bulbs, it burns hot.

GanjaFunkExpress

GanjaFunkExpress

thanks for the answer noone88

sooooo
do i understand correctly:
you are running the DNA cmh bulb in a regular 1k w hps ballast????
they told me they run on their own special ballasts.....

are u running them bare bulb vertical or in a vert hood or a cool tube or what noone

Top Bottom