Changing Light Power

• Thread starter boston toker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
boston toker

boston toker

As of now im in day 2 of week 3 of flower. Im useing a 600hps during the last few weeks would putting my 1000hps help alot or is it not worth switching lights.

Huckster79

Huckster79

Go co2 and you can get away with higher temps till late flower at least.... I'm a rookie but in all I've read and what I have seen is we waste our $ on tons of shit that cud be spent on more light and was convinced to not spend a dime more on toys and latest greatest snake oil until I had lights maxed! Now I'm playing with supplementing my 1000w in. 5.5x5.5 area with LED... Light baby light....

Huckster79

Huckster79

For sure co2 is not a necessity by Amy means but it does give you more wiggle room with temp- in fact they seem to like it a lil warmer w it. B so if u wanted extra light that was putting you too high of temp but not crazy over you could invest in co2 over cooking within reason obviously...

Also co2 isn't as cost prohibitive as some think... I bought a used half full 50lb tank for $70 and the regulator was about 60... I just run it timed every so often..there's calculators for that. I run some days 85 and once in a while 87 and not the least sign of heat stress.. So just an option for you...

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

You can if you want, but you already missed the peak of when that's most beneficial. All cell multiplication is done by week three after that it's just the cells growing/maturing, to get the largest plants you need to be slamming them from day 10 to day 24 with the most light, co2, and food.

Huckster79

Huckster79

Solidarity, question not challenging what your saying. So I see how late add on may not help the vegetative growth, as in the vegetative growth during flower but even if it didn't increase plant size for him wouldn't additional light help the bud size increase on the same sized plant? though the plant itself may not get extra growth?

Dunge

Dunge

All cell multiplication is done by week three after that it's just the cells growing/maturing, to get the largest plants you need to be slamming them from day 10 to day 24 with the most light, co2, and food.
In my years of reading and growing this is the first time I have read this.
Seems a very important piece of information, if true.

"All cell multiplication is done by week three"
All?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

In my years of reading and growing this is the first time I have read this.
Seems a very important piece of information, if true.

"All cell multiplication is done by week three"
All?

not all neccessarily, but it's when the majority of cell division happens within the bud. With a higher N profile or sativa dominant genes it can extend into week 4/day 28-30 but usually any growth past then is just cells maturing and growing to their full size (that's why week 3 buds have hundreds of pistils - all the calyxes and cells are there they are just much smaller, and grow/mature over time)

Huckster79

Huckster79

Interesting.. What is a good source to read on the science of things like that? Forums are great for topics but the detailed info is in specific tidbits... Online articles seem to be clones off the same mother and give you at best a middle school level technicality level of info. Whare do you find a source of organized detail info like that to study? Call me a nerd but I love learning and want to understand it all- the whys not just the observable outcomes- what's going on behind the scenes inside my girls type info...

But would increased light not help develop and mature those already created cells faster/better??

Glas Plandai

Glas Plandai

As of now im in day 2 of week 3 of flower. Im useing a 600hps during the last few weeks would putting my 1000hps help alot or is it not worth switching lights.

I am new around here but not new to growing. What @We Solidarity says is true. MOST not all cell reproduction is finished in the 30-45th day of flowering. Added light can be beneficial for the late growth and ripening of buds. However IMO and always just IMO going 1000W later in bloom or even going 1000w period may not be the answer. How large is your grow area? if its small and can only support a few plants 1000w could be over kill and a waist of $ in the extra electric cost for very little gain. 600w HPS is the most efficient of the HPS and can be moved closer to a small grows canopy without worry of heat and light burn. Adding in a 1000w means a lot more heat and raising the light. Resulting in what most times would be just as strong as a closer 600w. I feel 1000w lights are better suited for a larger 4x4+ room with a good ceiling height when you can pack in a good # of plants and get the most out of your $.

When it comes to CO2 there are cheaper more stealth options the don't take you to a place to refill bottles on a scedule but take some practice . CO2 by Fermentation

If this is your 1st grow resist the temptation of changing things mid grow. You risk throwing something off balance and may end up chasing your tail. Adding light means adding heat and that means adding more cooling, air circulation, or CO2. Finish off your grow and on the next one veg under the 600w with a MH convertion bulb and Flower under a 1000w HPS. By your 3/4th grow you will have the basics of keeping them alive and growing down. You should have a good dozen or so clones running and you can start dialing in what your strain wants Vs what you think will make them grow.

Whatever you do welcome to the hobby that never ends. I started 35 years ago just like you with a single 600w mag ballast.

Huckster79

Huckster79

Good points glas. Though I didn't like the unknown volume of co2 I was making w fermentation...and the hassle. I agree on the efficiency of 600s n wish Ida done two 600 in my 5.5x5.5 as w running light close (14" inside a sealed reflector) edges were shadowy so I added some CFL and entry level led to edges.

I get your point on not changing things up first round... But I did and added a lot of success to my micro grow... Yeild shocked my mentor. I'm just on wind down of 2nd run and tinker a lot as I go and I'm not bragging I'm humbled by how well things have gone... But that's my personality I'm not scared of risk for a bigger reward. But nothing wrong w slow n steady! Probably wiser route!

On filling co2- if ur not in a huge room a tank lasts some time if ur not in a huge area and get A 20 or 50lb tank not a 5lb unit... If the guys at welding place want to b chatty be u just mention u were almost done w ur mig weld wen gd tank went dry or tell em about the best craft beer u got on tap in the kegetator...

I'd vote add the light- things get too hot shut it off for rest of this run n address cooling for next...

Glas Plandai

Glas Plandai

@Huckster79 if you have the room and are up for experimentation I will be starting a grow log soon on my new room. Running a NFT/Fog hybred system with vertical hung bare HPS. I read a grow log the guy tried the vert. bare hps last grow in a 6x6x6. He had plants 7-8 foot tall (if unbent) tied to the ceiling wrapping around 1/2 way to the other side. Buds shot out of the vertical net and grew to the light. The entire room looked like an alien weed powered space ship.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

not all neccessarily, but it's when the majority of cell division happens within the bud. With a higher N profile or sativa dominant genes it can extend into week 4/day 28-30 but usually any growth past then is just cells maturing and growing to their full size (that's why week 3 buds have hundreds of pistils - all the calyxes and cells are there they are just much smaller, and grow/mature over time)
Great info homie

boston toker

boston toker

If you run co2how do u vent your text. Do u shut the extractor fan off while its on then vise versa. My next run will be with a couple bubble buckets anyone mess around with this dwc. I have 3 monster crop clones of aclopoko gold. If they take and it looks like they are with those 3 plants my tent will be full as f#!@

Glas Plandai

Glas Plandai

If you run co2how do u vent your text. Do u shut the extractor fan off while its on then vise versa. My next run will be with a couple bubble buckets anyone mess around with this dwc. I have 3 monster crop clones of aclopoko gold. If they take and it looks like they are with those 3 plants my tent will be full as f#!@

When running CO2 you do not vent. You need to scrub oder from inside the room with just a fan and carbon filter and dump it back inside. Some like me choose to purge the room @ lights out each night as the plants do not use CO2 during dark. Get a CO2 monitor shoot for 1000ppm+ with an ultimate goal of 1300-1500ppm. Do your reading about CO2 enrichment. Your going to find plants that want more light, water, food, heat, and room. So be prepared.

Migrower83

Migrower83

Me personally if I had the thoughts of changing any lights I would get a Gavita and a good exhaust they are the brightest thing out there I run them in 7.5 foot ceilings with 6" fans mounted to the bottom of the ballast blowing right below the light best purchase I ever made no co2 fresh air with a 8" max fan h.o and have no problems with temp and yield went up

Top Bottom