Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
any RO users finding they need micro nutrients when using jacks. I just got my hydro and cal nitrate, was wondering if I need to grab any trace elements since I use RO. They have 2 kinds ive seen at JR peters, MOST, MOST with no boron, and soluable trace elements. The MOST looks about the same as the trace elements but it has 13% S in it.

ANyone try these or recommend one? if its not even needed I say f*** it im down to buy less

I add most at between .05 and .1 / gallon. I havent fucked anythign up. I also add CaCl2 at .05-.25 /gallon.

The most was recommended to me by JR peters if using ro water. The hydro has trace elements, but is designed for use with tap water, which also has trace elements.

Ill post some pics here. All my plants are raging.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I also have potassium sulfate and MKP from custom hydro. those two allow you to tweak a little more to hit more specific ratios. Especially if you want to drop N and keep everything else up.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

5-12-26 already has 250 ppm so4 in it
epsom salt is magnesium sulphate = mgso4 = magnesium-sulfur-oxygen if you require more s or mg

fwiw

250 ppm of epsom salts isn't even close to what im runnin jus sulfur alone when it comes to budding.

im just sayin if he's got the choice between the MOST with or without the sulphur id personally recommend getting it with.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

250 ppm of epsom salts isn't even close to what im runnin jus sulfur alone when it comes to budding.

im just sayin if he's got the choice between the MOST with or without the sulphur id personally recommend getting it with.

tyler, my posts are aimed at newbies trying to get a basic up and running system before any tweaks due to environment or genetics
what happens after that is up to them with folks like you and caps advice which shall certainly help fine tune what they have going on so please don't take my posts as any form of competition or lack of confidence in your comments

fwiw

dankworth

dankworth

I heartily agree with Mr. Durden. I have played with sulfur ratios lately, and what I have seen implies a direct correlation between sulfur ratio and penetrating stank.
Part of the reason coco-based mediums produce more flavorful(and some would say more dank) is the butt-ton of sulfur coco has in addition to K.
Playing with the 6-pack, any time I need to adjust values it ends up contributing sulfur. I dig that.

skywalkerOG

skywalkerOG

when using jacks does anyone add molasses to add more sulfer

No need. I'm working with a plant called Chem-T and with just the basic 2 part from jacks and epsom salts you can smell the girls 1/2 block away. Mason jar is the only thing that will contain the smell.

Keep it simple.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Im using the same just jacks and Epsom stinkiest my room has ever been! My hanna ph meter took a shit again tho....

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Thanks for the suggestion cap. I agree I will never purchase another product from them. I got a loaner from a buddy to get me through. Also not to get off topic but do you guys ever replace your electrodes on your ph meters.

sdgrower

sdgrower

I used to all the time when I had Hannah's. Switched to the bluelabs this year and so far so good :yes

tconch

tconch

toke, i had the bluelab guardian the readings were jumping around contacted tech in new zealand they sent new updated on then i returned old one no questions asked if you buy one make sure it has grey wire not white on the conductivity side if you are using digital equipment

K

kushtrees

Hey cap what do u recommend starting MOST at? I called jr peters and they said 8 oz/ 100 gallons is the dosage, which is a little over 2g/ gallon. I saw you were using it at .1-.5 though, is that .1-.5g/ gal or .1-.5 ec? What do u think is a good starting point?

Also when do u add it? My thought was...
1st MOST
2nd Hydro w/ Epsom salt
3rd cal nitrate

Thanks for the help

A

anonymouse

sweet

Lovin' this thread so much...

Can't find Jack's north of the border in remote Kanuckistan , they will ship but the cost is high since they use FedSux delivery, but Plant Products (plant prod) has some bulk product available at 7-11-27

They also have a chelated trace mineral mix... calcium nitrate 15.5-0-0... few other things.... their prices are sorta similar to the jr peters site, they say call to ask but you are better just finding their distributor in your area on the site

pedo.png

edit : fixed link

J

Jar Man

Haven't looked over all 66 pages on this thread but haven't seen anything about Dyna-Gro's proclaimed underated superiority to GH, AN and other high end nutes that I've read on other forums according to their mad scientist nutrient geeks. Strange how on one forum folks will rave on about some nute or technique as being the chit industry wide and on another the knowledgeable and most experienced scarcely mention anything of the sort.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Dynabloom has an unusually high P content. its amazing for rooting, but is too high for anything else.

Its incredibly concentrated, more so then almost any other liquid nute.

B

Bluenote

I'm likely the one that Durden119 refered to that mentioned sulfur. And yes I feed molasses in conjunction with Jacks Classic and part of the reason is the sulfur content.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

I'm likely the one that Durden119 refered to that mentioned sulfur. And yes I feed molasses in conjunction with Jacks Classic and part of the reason is the sulfur content.

the 246 actual available in jacks isn't enough? weird.

Top Bottom