Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Medusa That's weird you cant see it. I can...

You can use jacks in soil if you want, but I am not sure I would do that. It's just salts. You can salt your soil pretty good if you aren't careful.. especially outside. And yes nectar of the gods. Just givin it a whirl for a minute. It's pretty good so far.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
@Medusa That's weird you cant see it. I can...

You can use jacks in soil if you want, but I am not sure I would do that. It's just salts. You can salt your soil pretty good if you aren't careful.. especially outside. And yes nectar of the gods. Just givin it a whirl for a minute. It's pretty good so far.
Lol. Maybe it's all those super bugs your destroying. Now u have super hero eyesite. lol Just has a blk and white img. Just ordered their sample pak N of T Gods. Thanks appreciate. M

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

It's old news but having a perfect environment, and proper watering schedule will do a garden much better than boosters.

I agree 100%. Its often difficult to determine and maintain optimum saturation of plant media. I'm currently in the process of ordering an irrometer to gauge my media saturation.

I am back to jacks again for simplicity, but I am using a lot less. Currently I am using:

3mL cal mag
.5 grams Epsom
1.5 grams 5-12-26
1 gram CaNO3

and:
15mL herculean harvest
5mL poseidenzyme
5mL zeuss juice
fasilitor 1/2mL per gal first 3 weeks only.

I'm curious what the nutrient profile would look like when using the cannastats calculator. Perhaps you already posted that info some place?

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

I'm having my proud father syndrome kick in this harvest and I wanted to share my success with JPH in conjunction with my Platinum Kush cut @ day56. I'll be taking her till about day 63-70. Enjoy
IMG 20140717 154209

IMG 20140716 180712

B

Bangarang

I use this all the way through. My system is top feed DTW with plants started in RW and moved to chow beds. I can tell you right now the secret is in the watering schedule.
What is the secret? Do you let the surface of your beds start to dry out or do you keep them pretty well saturated? How would one know what the optimal watering schedule would be? I have ran my 1.2 gal airpots so that they dry out on the surface and no i run them so that they always stay saturated. Never seen signs of overwatering and the problem with letting them dry is in an increase in PPM in my runoff.
Edumacate me

C

cheech

I've been running jack's for over a year now and am still happy with the results. I'm running low on the 5-12-26 (hydroponic), and am about to place another order....

Before I do I'd like to know if anyone has been running the one part mix, 16-4-17 (hydrofeed), with success. Thanks!

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

Ive Just put two harvests through with Jacks with dismal results. My Jacks was definitely deficient in something. The first run produced sick plants in flower although it rocked the veggies. They were stunted and small with weak stems and small flowers. Very high tricrome content and it made my GDP look and taste better then ever before. I ran it a second time hoping to fix what ever was wrong. Same scenario. Plants rocked all the way through veg and got deficient as they headed into flower. 4 weeks I left them in flower with them doing almost nothing. Then I decided to try my old formula to see what would happen. Within 4 days of watering with AN and GH nutes the girls had stood up and started producing chuncky buds with trichs and hairs. 4 days! WTF. I used the 3-1.8-1 mix and I will not use Jacks again. It stays in coco like no ones biz! My ppms where high and my EC was around 3 on the drain water. Now that Im back to the regular formula everything looks great just a lot smaller flowers. DONT EXPERIMENT ON YOUR WHOLE CROP! Even with the bad product I still pulled 10lbs off 8 lights. Not sure what ill get this time but Im even more stoked for the next run because everything will rock at full potential like it always had. I dont know why I switched my formula. I wanted to experiment but I think this shows that if your shit works dont fuck with it. Jacks is not meant for coco!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Yes, the problem with copying anybodies ratios is that EVERY room is different. Whether it's media, environment etc etc.....

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Any one using jacks in coco? Is the mix different than jacks in promix?

Coco with Jacks all day. (see photos above)

Rocking several canna coco rooms with jacks and a couple supplements from nectar for the gods with zero problems... check Cap's post above.

Botanicare cocogro with Jacks, Caps Bennies, Sea Green (intermittently), and Aqua Gro surfactant. It's definitely got the Trich production, bag appeal, and yield of a true hydroponic system on fertilizer salts- but I must say that soil grown organics have it hands down for flavor and terp profile.
Ive Just put two harvests through with Jacks with dismal results. My Jacks was definitely deficient in something. The first run produced sick plants in flower although it rocked the veggies. They were stunted and small with weak stems and small flowers. Very high tricrome content and it made my GDP look and taste better then ever before. I ran it a second time hoping to fix what ever was wrong. Same scenario. Plants rocked all the way through veg and got deficient as they headed into flower. 4 weeks I left them in flower with them doing almost nothing. Then I decided to try my old formula to see what would happen. Within 4 days of watering with AN and GH nutes the girls had stood up and started producing chuncky buds with trichs and hairs. 4 days! WTF. I used the 3-1.8-1 mix and I will not use Jacks again. It stays in coco like no ones biz! My ppms where high and my EC was around 3 on the drain water. Now that Im back to the regular formula everything looks great just a lot smaller flowers. DONT EXPERIMENT ON YOUR WHOLE CROP! Even with the bad product I still pulled 10lbs off 8 lights. Not sure what ill get this time but Im even more stoked for the next run because everything will rock at full potential like it always had. I dont know why I switched my formula. I wanted to experiment but I think this shows that if your shit works dont fuck with it. Jacks is not meant for coco!

It bums me out to hear about Jacks not working out for you. Next time the problems persist just post info about whats going on so that we can help you out next time!

K

krinen

Hey guys, how are you storing your Jacks powder? I stored my HydroFeed (Hydro Herb) in a Rubermaid tough box and it built up a ton of moisture and look ruined now :(

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

I put mine in 5 gallon buckets with a spin tight lid they are in the paint section at home depot. I might try the Jacks again on a few girl scout cookies to see how it works with them. I was really impressed with the taste of the bud with Jacks I will admit that it was a much cleaner taste.

I

ilaughlast

hi surf and grow,
i have been doing some reading on this topic.i am just starting out with jacks.
while looking around i found this site from colorado. unfortunately i cant figure out how to sign in but maybe youll have better luck.
anyway
this site is doing a bit of work deconstructing hobby nutrient lines and replacing with more real ag fertilizers for years now. in this link they break down non caanabis industry cal mag products by water type. its breif and not super in depth but its worth a look. if you stroll around the site youll find their formulations for jacjs and peters are slightly different program.
1.89g/gallon Peters Professional 5-11-26

1.84g/gallon Yara Liva CALCINIT Calcium Nitrate

0.94g/gallon Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salts)

Mixed together this will deliver PPM 100-24-108-93-25 (N-P-K-Ca-Mg)
they also go int orunning a couple different jacks and peters ready formulations. site is interesting for sure.
maybe youll find something they are doing helpful. just thought id throw it out there, it made me think of your post considering a lower ratio of jacks for a lower salt content without watering down.

http://www.centennialseeds.com/2013/08/21/peters-15-5-15-cal-mag-special-water-soluble-fertilizer/

I

ilaughlast

hi everybody
im in the process of working with a agronomist.
while trying to source jacks 5-12-26 in a brick and mortar store i ran ino this guy who works for an ag company. he does formulations using raw ingredients to make fertilizers.
i was unable to find anyone within two hundred miles that could stock it.
he suggested let him make it.
he said he would need the recipe i was using and the macrmicro numbers and the derived from statement of ingredients.
so i gave him the 3-1.8-1 recipe and read them to him.
hes blending it together in salt form. he cant give it to me as a powder because of laws surrounding partial bags of salt not being permitted to be sold from in bulk ammounts. labeling laws etc.
however he said he could mix it at concentrations as strong as solubility would permit and omit the cal and mag so as to side step the regulations. i dont think hes charging extra for that. anyway i can test it and if i like he can make the blend official and sell it as a powdered salt if i buy enough.
any thought on changes you would make to the ratios of jacks 5-12-26 if you could have it redesigned for coco for us?
lower k? changes to micros ratios? any input would be appreciated.
thanks

burn4me

burn4me

thinking of jacks for my soil-less mix. is it ok for that? need cheaper route.
and i see jacks hydro is the only one at that NPK of 15-12-26, is that ok for me to use. i know this sounds off but im tired and curious. thanks in advance

Camdawg

Camdawg

thinking of jacks for my soil-less mix. is it ok for that? need cheaper route.
and i see jacks hydro is the only one at that NPK of 15-12-26, is that ok for me to use. i know this sounds off but im tired and curious. thanks in advance
Yes 321 works great in promix/soil less

Top Bottom