Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankworth

dankworth

Are you fucking with aero cloners? I abandoned those things.
I clone in 3 inch net pots, 21 per cloning tray, filled with coco, watered to 50% runoff with 750 ppms veg food. Use dip n grow when you cut, use dip n grow in the veg food, use Cap's bennies in a tea if you can.
I root under a 1k MH. All awesomeness, no stalling, just raging, no bullshit, no failures any longer, no rot, none of that shit.
I only fuck with things that work now. I do not need more grey hair, or less of it.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Are you fucking with aero cloners? I abandoned those things.
I clone in 3 inch net pots, 21 per cloning tray, filled with coco, watered to 50% runoff with 750 ppms veg food. Use dip n grow when you cut, use dip n grow in the veg food, use Cap's bennies in a tea if you can.
I root under a 1k MH. All awesomeness, no stalling, just raging, no bullshit, no failures any longer, no rot, none of that shit.
I only fuck with things that work now. I do not need more grey hair, or less of it.

Got all that gear- gonna give this a shot. I'm not eager to grow more grey hair either.

dankworth

dankworth

1k digilux mh in a super sun 2 hung from a 7'5" roof, reflectix on walls in 5x8 walk-in closet.
Cloning tray on floor, or sitting on styrofoam on floor. 78-80.
Those are my particulars anyways, problem-free rooting with that particular set of circumstances.

ttystikk

ttystikk

what's the RH in there? Wicked dry around here... like 16% right this minute, according to the Nat'l Weather Service. I try to pump up humidity, I'm sure you can guess that's an ongoing battle!

dankworth

dankworth

what's the RH in there? Wicked dry around here... like 16% right this minute, according to the Nat'l Weather Service. I try to pump up humidity, I'm sure you can guess that's an ongoing battle!
I use a dome.
Be sure to prep your mom appropriately before the cloning takes place.
High light values, enough food to support that, then you will have very clonable shoots.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

5 gallon version will fit well into a 5 gallon bucket
Can you please let us know over in the other thread too? (this thread moves too fast for me to catch everything) Even if not all the way down to the rim, they should at least nest in for air-pruning, with minimal wasted container space, room for sw-dtw/hempy style res if you want it.

Worth saying, my version was based on smaller sw-dtw bottom res just for testing, if applying to trees think I'd go with larger buckets/totes like what DW has done (for larger aero/hydro section, same 3-5gal of media).

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I talked shit first! Well publicly anyways.
No coco Cap? No cec for insurance for those of us with fucked up power outages?
I had thought about having an airline at the bottom of hempy buckets, and dripping periodically into them, and having runoff periodically run off.
Never got around to it.
Same thing as I'm doing now, but aeration frames for netpots in totes instead of filling the whole thing up.
Roots really wanted to start spreading in the water when I introduced air.
With Cap's bennies, and the dtw nute delivery, I have every confidence that it will work out very well.
Running it without the active cooling and insulation for a while first in an attempt to determine a failure point. Naw.
So now that I have an unbiased understanding of how they want to behave in direct response to a variety of stimuli, I will sell out and go buy some more dip n grow I think.
Cause that shit's fun.
Remember when DD said that stim-root 5000 blew his roots up better than RE?
I do.
Stim-root 5000 is 5000 ppms IBA, which is 0.5% IBA.
Dip n grow being 1% IBA, 0.5% NAA.

I will still be running the coco wall o dank. It did extremely well this round, and I am 100% sure I can get it to do even better.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Can you please let us know over in the other thread too? (this thread moves too fast for me to catch everything) Even if not all the way down to the rim, they should at least nest in for air-pruning, with minimal wasted container space, room for sw-dtw/hempy style res if you want it.

Worth saying, my version was based on smaller sw-dtw bottom res just for testing, if applying to trees think I'd go with larger buckets/totes like what DW has done (for larger aero/hydro section, same 3-5gal of media).

You lost me, bro- which other thread would you like me to post this in? I was just looking online at the ez rooter 'aeration frames', aka baskets, and it seemed like the 5 gallon size would fit just right inside a standard 5 gallon bucket. Looking at the pic supplied on the shopping site I was at, it sure seemed like you could set one of these directly on the bottom of a tub and it would stand up high enough for good airflow all around and under the frame. If it's kept in the dark and damp, I see no reason why they wouldn't blow out roots all over the place and fill up a bigger tub, too. I'm aiming for somewhat smaller plants, something on the order of 6-10 oz per, and that should work well with a 5 gallon bucket.

dankworth

dankworth

You lost me, bro- which other thread would you like me to post this in? I was just looking online at the ez rooter 'aeration frames', aka baskets, and it seemed like the 5 gallon size would fit just right inside a standard 5 gallon bucket. Looking at the pic supplied on the shopping site I was at, it sure seemed like you could set one of these directly on the bottom of a tub and it would stand up high enough for good airflow all around and under the frame. If it's kept in the dark and damp, I see no reason why they wouldn't blow out roots all over the place and fill up a bigger tub, too. I'm aiming for somewhat smaller plants, something on the order of 6-10 oz per, and that should work well with a 5 gallon bucket.
Hey, an air gap between the bottom of the netpot and the water is a very good idea.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

You lost me, bro
Sorry thought it was you to whom I just suggested that exact concept somewhere else, must be half asleep. And the alert thing only catches some of my watched threads, this one is usually missing.

I would be very dissapointed with so low a yield from 5gals used this way. For those, think I would just go with the 3s to save chow and my back.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sorry thought it was you to whom I just suggested that exact concept somewhere else, must be half asleep. And the alert thing only catches some of my watched threads, this one is usually missing.

I would be very dissapointed with so low a yield from 5gals used this way. For those, think I would just go with the 3s to save chow and my back.

I have a lot of buckets spaced close together, so my target of 2lbs/1kW of lighting works out to 12 sites/4kW, or 1/3lb per plant. If they get overly crowded, then I'll reduce the number of sites under the lights and aim for higher weight per stem.

dankworth

dankworth

The plants said. I had a suspicion about this from rdwc days, but without a topdrip, it seemed more dangerous.
I have no scientific explanation, all I can say is that I believe it mitigates disease risk, and that the plants showed me with a picture that they wanted an air gap.

Reactions: mal
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
The plants said. I had a suspicion about this from rdwc days, but without a topdrip, it seemed more dangerous.
I have no scientific explanation, all I can say is that I believe it mitigates disease risk, and that the plants showed me with a picture that they wanted an air gap.

Well, you are the plant whisperer. I had a couple great runs with no air gap (I mean technicallly theere is an air gap fromt he trunk to the bottom of the net pot anyway right?)... I am not sure why it would make a difference, especially with the bubbles popping all over the place anyway between the bottom of the net pot and the surface of the water.

I'm sending you this hat for your next photo shoot.
the_plant_whisperer_hat-p148834365124203270enqc0_210.jpg

dankworth

dankworth

Well, you are the plant whisperer. I had a couple great runs with no air gap (I mean technicallly theere is an air gap fromt he trunk to the bottom of the net pot anyway right?)... I am not sure why it would make a difference, especially with the bubbles popping all over the place anyway between the bottom of the net pot and the surface of the water.

I'm sending you this hat for your next photo shoot.
the_plant_whisperer_hat-p148834365124203270enqc0_210.jpg
Hell yes! You do that and I will wear that shit for the next photo shoot.
Dude that would be awesome.
One day when I have spare time I will fuck about with a galvanometer. Figure out more direct communications or something.
Visualizing them a lot when you are not around them seems to promote more contact.
That has been my experience anyways.

Resinable

Resinable

Regarding the air gap I think Heath recommends not having an air gap because he feels it promotes "cord roots" or trunk like roots which don't absorb nuts or water.

Capulators hempystyle underwater bio bucket

Combining DTW, DWC, and of course, bennies and biomats. No coco. 100% perlite, beach pebble, or growstones. will run both to see what I like better.

Can't wait to see the chubbs.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Regarding the air gap I think Heath recommends not having an air gap because he feels it promotes "cord roots" or trunk like roots which don't absorb nuts or water.

Can't wait to see the chubbs.

This makes sense to me. I will not have an airgap. With C.H.U.B.B I plan on having the bottom of the bucket an inch in to the water, just like in my MPB.

Has anyone tried no media, DWC... where the trunk meets the surface of the water? The plant woudl have to be suspended somehow, but it woudl be IMPOSSIBLE to get fungus gnats or any other soil borne insect this way.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm not going to be filling 5 gallon buckets full of chow- in fact, they're gonna get about 3 gallons worth of media apiece- so it looks like we're pretty close after all.

Top Bottom