Cheap, Easy Dechlorination

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks, guys, I was aware of the aeration method to dissipate chlorine, and Cap (I think) had mentioned the table sugar in a thread I read but couldn't find again.
If I add more than a tiny pinch of sugar to my 5-gal bucket, it gets cloudy.
Do the chloramines destroy microbial life as bad as chlorine?

I've been filtering my water for a long time now with an inline ice maker filter. Does that remove chloramines?

A tiny pinch is all you want to use. More and you may get a microbial bloom. Chloramines are in the water specifically to kill bacteria in drinking water. Techs at the treatment plant try their best to balance the load of chlorine to the amount of bacteria in the system and so most of the time it's very close, and even using fresh tapwater as your beneficial tea base should not be an issue under normal circumstances.

I do not believe an online filter of the type you describe is effective for chloramines removal. RO or similar filtration... OR, a pinch of sugar per gallon. Easy, cheap- and you're adding a little sugar to make your aerated compost tea anyway, right?

ttystikk

ttystikk

I know you don't want to hear it, but sodium thiosulfate is perfectly safe for microbes and many other incredibly delicate living things, it's what is still used in public aquariums small and large, and is incredibly cheap, especially if you mix it down to the OTC levels of 1%-3%.

While aeration is perfectly suitable for removing chlorine, it will do nothing for chloramine, you will need something that either bonds to it (carbon?) or breaks the bond between the chlorine and ammonia. Again, sodium thiosulfate is absolutely suitable and acceptable for this purpose.

In terms of water treatment, chloramines are actually preferable over chlorine, as chlorine has been linked to causing some cancers. The EPA has recommended that all U.S. water municipalities switch their treatment from chlorine to chloramine, and the specific purpose is to kill microbes. So, yes, it will (and should if it's properly treated water) be killing soil microbes.

I see that someone has mentioned using sugar, and while it's not something I have ever done, if it works, I say go with it. Not as cheap as sodium thiosulfate, but hey, it sure is easier to get! However, if you're of a mind, you can get it for something like $5 for 2lbs dry (which then needs to be mixed down to that low percent solution mentioned above). At the Long Beach Aquarium we would just sprinkle it in, used our noses to tell us whether or not the chlorine was gone. Chlorine bleach is used to clean many items, such as tank decorations, and that needs to be neutralized quickly.

I was the one that mentioned using table sugar. Tough to get much less expensive or more readily available than that.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Ty, thanks for the response(s). Hope life is good in your neck o the woods.
Can you tell me where you got your info on the sugar? Earlier I asked Squiggly in his chemistry thread and he said science doesn't back the sugar theory. Of makes me wonder if I could've saved a bunch for morning coffee, lol!
I am spending a little of my 'farm time' researching this and I'll post what I find.
Appreciate all the feedback guys!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ty, thanks for the response(s). Hope life is good in your neck o the woods.
Can you tell me where you got your info on the sugar? Earlier I asked Squiggly in his chemistry thread and he said science doesn't back the sugar theory. Of makes me wonder if I could've saved a bunch for morning coffee, lol!
I am spending a little of my 'farm time' researching this and I'll post what I find.
Appreciate all the feedback guys!

I found the tip a year or so ago, while surfing through various gardening sites online. I'll take Squiggly's word over that of some anonymous internet blogger any time. We know citric acid works, so a bit of that to adjust pH might solve two problems at once.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Great info guys!

I personally use a chloramine/chlorine filter by pentek.

You can buy them on filtersfast.com and they are relatively inexpensive, and last quite a while if you are only using it for your plants. Plus, no waste water like an RO filter.

I only remove the chlorine/chloramine now, no more RO for me it was a huge waste of water and ran my water bill up like crazy.

Get your water tested! : www.customhydronutrients.com This is the best site in the world for nutrients, and the owner will test your water and work with you to create a nutrient program based on the results of the water test.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

What's goin on Cap, so this might be a stupid question but how or where would you install the filter??

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
What's goin on Cap, so this might be a stupid question but how or where would you install the filter??

The filter goes in to a filter housing, and that can attach to a standard garden hose, or you can plumb it in anywhere really.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Excellent, I did go to the site and I just noticed the housings plus their other point of use/entry systems. Which one do you use if you don't mind my inquisition? And how or where could I order mine? This shit is golden! especially since it connects right to the hose!! I was trying to figure a way to Jerry rig a britta water filter to mine lolol -__-

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Filtersfast.com

I use the big blue housing I believe it is a 4" x 20"

Top Bottom