Choosing a Dehumidifier is Hard

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Well... I goofed. I posted about my new in-line fan in my dehumidifier thread. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with my lady's latest blend.

Anyway, to get back to the dehumidifier for a moment... So far, it's working very well. Being able to control it from anywhere via its WiFi is very useful. It can bring down the RH quickly, too. Especially nice is the settable tank level alert.

Somebody should make an all in one dehumidifier and a/c that just sits in the room and does it's job without a window port.
It seems it would be impossible. That's because the room is a closed system, and, barring any leakage, the heat inside wouldn't change. (There is leakage, of course, but let's pretend for the sake of this thought experiment that the room is like the inside of a thermos bottle.) Essentially, no heat is added or lost. It ceases to be a closed system when energy is added to run this environmental-control machine. That additional energy could only increase the heat energy in the room. It could not decrease it.

However, it may be possible (if not today, someday). Here's how:

What would be required is an energy removal mechanism that doesn't require an exhaust port. So, if excess heat could be converted to electricity and that electricity could be returned to the grid, then there you have it. It wouldn't surprise me if the bi-directional charging technologies being developed for electric vehicles were eventually adapted to other applications. All we would need, then, is a way to convert heat energy to electrical energy. That would solve the problem of removing heat energy from the room.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Well... I goofed. I posted about my new in-line fan in my dehumidifier thread. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with my lady's latest blend.

Anyway, to get back to the dehumidifier for a moment... So far, it's working very well. Being able to control it from anywhere via its WiFi is very useful. It can bring down the RH quickly, too. Especially nice is the settable tank level alert.

It seems it would be impossible. That's because the room is a closed system, and, barring any leakage, the heat inside wouldn't change. (There is leakage, of course, but let's pretend for the sake of this thought experiment that the room is like the inside of a thermos bottle.) Essentially, no heat is added or lost. It ceases to be a closed system when energy is added to run this environmental-control machine. That additional energy could only increase the heat energy in the room. It could not decrease it.

What would be required is an energy removal mechanism that doesn't require an exhaust port. So, if excess heat could be converted to electricity and that electricity could be returned to the grid, then there you have it. It wouldn't surprise me if the bi-directional charging technologies being developed for electric vehicles were eventually adapted to other applications. All we would need, then, is a way to convert heat energy to electrical energy. That would solve the problem of removing heat energy from the room.
YES!! I would love to see a tent size version of a mini split A/C that also dehumidifies and could be integrated into the exhaust system. This way the heat source could be located outside the sealed room or tent. Maybe ACI has it in the works? Not sure but it has been something that has been on my mind lately as a product that is sorely needed for home growers like us.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

It's a cool idea, I'm not aware of any tech that converts tiny amounts of heat into electricity. Basically you are describing a solar panel but for heat not light.

Even if you have high heat like geothermal to pull from, it still ends up going thru a mechanical generator, usually as steam to generate electricity. Like in Iceland.

The heat in a grow space is not really dense enough to power much of anything I don't think. But even if this was not cannabis specific - imagine how the energy situation would change in the world if we used our heat panels in place of air conditoners, power our houses and the grid and got rid of all the air conditioners. The economic benefit is there for billions to be invested if the tech was possible.

Again, cool idea but I don't think it is possible with current technology. We need a friendly UFO to visit.

sambapati

sambapati

It's a cool idea, I'm not aware of any tech that converts tiny amounts of heat into electricity. Basically you are describing a solar panel but for heat not light.

Even if you have high heat like geothermal to pull from, it still ends up going thru a mechanical generator, usually as steam to generate electricity. Like in Iceland.

The heat in a grow space is not really dense enough to power much of anything I don't think. But even if this was not cannabis specific - imagine how the energy situation would change in the world if we used our heat panels in place of air conditoners, power our houses and the grid and got rid of all the air conditioners. The economic benefit is there for billions to be invested if the tech was possible.

Again, cool idea but I don't think it is possible with current technology. We need a friendly UFO to visit.
If they could bring solar powered portable air conditions with them that would also be a plus.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

If they could bring solar powered portable air conditions with them that would also be a plus.
Solar powered everything in a grow system would revolutionize farming as we know it. Container farming is the future of sustainable farming. Being able to drop 20 containers in the middle of the ghetto where food deserts are typically located would not only improve the health of the residents in the local community but would also reduce the energy needed to transport it to those locations and all the other ancillary things that go into getting a tomato into your hands.

There is a lot of new exciting technology coming that is going to revolutionize solar electrical generation along with battery technology. Once they're able to independently power all the operations within that container it'll be game over. You'll be able to grow all your own food at minimal cost since water and power will be reduced to almost nothing in comparison to what it costs to get produce to market now.

Fully automated and independently powered weed grow capsules. A concept I've waited for for a long time.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Just a heads up that some sates have some wicked auction sites. I'm in AZ and we have NellisAuction and there is one in Vegas as well. Seems to be like big box retailer returns but some are steals. Frikkin opened box or something and poof 75%+ off. I'm in the market as well and may grab this Ivation for prolly $20ish in 20 min when auction ends. $900 commercial one below for $12 bid atm?

sambapati

sambapati

Solar powered everything in a grow system would revolutionize farming as we know it. Container farming is the future of sustainable farming. Being able to drop 20 containers in the middle of the ghetto where food deserts are typically located would not only improve the health of the residents in the local community but would also reduce the energy needed to transport it to those locations and all the other ancillary things that go into getting a tomato into your hands.

There is a lot of new exciting technology coming that is going to revolutionize solar electrical generation along with battery technology. Once they're able to independently power all the operations within that container it'll be game over. You'll be able to grow all your own food at minimal cost since water and power will be reduced to almost nothing in comparison to what it costs to get produce to market now.

Fully automated and independently powered weed grow capsules. A concept I've waited for for a long time.
A bit in 'the weeds' but a company called ENPH makes a solar battery/storage collection system that seems to work really well. @RootsRuler I totally agree with you -- solar/geothermal/wind power will change our lives for the better.
20220811 103045

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

A bit in 'the weeds' but a company called ENPH makes a solar battery/storage collection system that seems to work really well. @RootsRuler I totally agree with you -- solar/geothermal/wind power will change our lives for the better.View attachment 1270009
That company is wildly hot. Stock price was $113 in late January. Today? $303 😮

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

Dehu drain hose can drain back into the nutrient reservoir or wherever you want to establish a waste drain if you don't want to collect the water.
thats why you make sure the hose is all downhill going out of the room?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Why? Output from AC or Dehuey is like RO water if your hoses are clean. It's a thing - you can absolutely do that.
My dehue water comes in at 8 ppm @6.6ph - 78f If I use it on my plants I'll add 5ml peroxide / gal just to kill anything it may have picked up
@ Moe.Red have you seen the roots this guy has.....he'd like your input..... me thinks

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

Right but if you wanna do my thing now you can't. it's called a compromise.
I'm talking about a unit for drying mostly. Figure out all that green earth recycling stuff some other way.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I'm certain we're at the beginning of a radical shift to green technologies. I was just reading that the new CHIPS legislation will have a huge impact. It has $67B allocated for R&D into zero-carbon products. It is estimated that half of the emissions reduction technology that will be in use in 2050 doesn't exist yet. This leaves a lot of room for creative folks to be creative. Green energy powered farms scalable from kitchen windows to warehouses are sure to be a big part of our future.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Good thread all the way through, although I scanned through it and may have missed the one thing I do with my dehumidifier ... I collect the condensate. It's mineral free and very clean (as long as your equipment is clean). My dehuey sits on a tv tray and drains into my water reservoir which I then use to water my plants. While not directly related to what unit to choose, if the one you choose has a drain plug, you can do this instead of draining to a floor drain.
I also use my dehumidifier water to water plants, makes sense, it's great water. Why waste it, you know?

ninjadip

ninjadip

just remember dehumidifiers work through heating the space, so you'll need to contend with the heat discharged somehow
True true, unless you try one of these peltier dehumidifier, they work differently. I foolishly tried one and it just wasn't powerful enough, but very interesting technology.

I should add that I did find some cheap diy kits to make this on a larger scale for cheap on eBay.

Thermo-electric dehumidifiers (sometimes called Peltier or Peltier effect dehumidifiers) use the thermoelectric effect (more specifically the Peltier effect) to convert electricity into a temperature difference across a Peltier module. This created temperature difference is what facilitates dehumidification.

Last edited:
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I also use my dehumidifier water to water plants, makes sense, it's great water. Why waste it, you know?
Dehumidifier water can be acidic. Mine tests at pH of 4.4. I looked into it and found that the condensate mixes with carbon dioxide in the air to form carbonic acid.

Top Bottom