Choosing a Dehumidifier is Hard

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ninjadip

ninjadip

Dehumidifier water can be acidic. Mine tests at pH of 4.4. I looked into it and found that the condensate mixes with carbon dioxide in the air to form carbonic acid.
For me I like the acidity. I use it to top off dwc buckets. The water brings the ph in the buckets back down to their ideal range after rising from using up nutes.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

For me I like the acidity. I use it to top off dwc buckets. The water brings the ph in the buckets back down to their ideal range after rising from using up nutes.
I didn't say it was a bad thing. It's just good to know. I have wondered if the carbon in the water matters, but I haven't found an answer to that yet.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Idk if anyone caught what I wrote about peltier or thermo-electric dehumidifiers earlier. This article claims that they weren't even introduced to the US until 2007.
Instead of heat it uses an electric charge, one side is positive, the other negative, this difference across a heatsink or something will condensate the water. So while one side is producing a positive electrical charge(very little heat) the other is cold, and this thing puts out almost zero net heat.

I would love to know if anyone here has had any success with this alternate type of dehumidifier.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Idk if anyone caught what I wrote about peltier or thermo-electric dehumidifiers earlier. This article claims that they weren't even introduced to the US until 2007.
Instead of heat it uses an electric charge, one side is positive, the other negative, this difference across a heatsink or something will condensate the water. So while one side is producing a positive electrical charge(very little heat) the other is cold, and this thing puts out almost zero net heat.

I would love to know if anyone here has had any success with this alternate type of dehumidifier.
Sorry. I didn't see your earlier comment about Peltier modules and thermoelectric dehumidifiers. I am familiar with the modules, though. We were using them for CPU coolers a dozen or so years ago. They're amazing. I recall that some people use them to make small, DIY refrigerators for off-grid applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

ninjadip

ninjadip

Sorry. I didn't see your earlier comment about Peltier modules and thermoelectric dehumidifiers. I am familiar with the modules, though. We were using them for CPU coolers a dozen or so years ago. They're amazing. I recall that some people use them to make small, DIY refrigerators for off-grid applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
That's awesome! I tried one that looks just like the viviosun model, about 1' high, it would be cool to make a big diy one for a grow tent, in my climate an efficient dehumidifier that doubles as a chiller without added heat to the lung room is like the holy grail. Did you know that viviosun makes this type of dehumidifier?
It's just cool to know that not all dehumidifiers put out heat.
Now how effective they are in practice is something to consider as well.

I'm not an endorser of viviosun, just used as a quick example.

Screenshot 20221002 132203
ninjadip

ninjadip

Sorry. I didn't see your earlier comment about Peltier modules and thermoelectric dehumidifiers.
It's cool 😎 hope you're having a great day. I had to switch from my dehumidifier to my humidifier lately because of the season change, very humid summers where I live, and I'm back to early veg stage with new grow. So funny how I have a humidifier on in the tent and the windows up with rain mist coming in from the east coast storm. Lol

Top Bottom