Choosing the righd LED

• Thread starter country84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Spuzzum

So don't advertise a 560 watt as a 1200 watt (equivalent), call it what is is so folks can make true comparisons ... simple ain't it?

Exactly :passingjoint:

I'm completely aware of the math CereaLED, and the fact about temperatures and fluctuating wavelengths.. that's what happens when a light is increased or lowered.. just like the chandelier in mom's dining room on a dimmer switch. I'm building my own panel, and have been studying this for months.. 2/3's the way there. :)

All I was saying, is that if you have 100 3W cree's, but set them at 700mA, for roughly 1.5W.. that doesn't mean you have a "300W panel".. now does it ;)

But what the specs don't show you, is how much the led's are set at.. ie: the panel's "output" wattage. It tells you 1200W "equivalent", but "only draws 580W".. pretty efficient, eh? But.. tell us what the led's are set at, then we can see how much overhead there really is. As I told you, I'm building my own, and have been studying this, trying to make mine the most efficient as possible. Well.. if things aren't designed correctly, the damn thing can use just as much power as a hid. A 250w hps uses 300w for the ballast.. if the driver being used has 90-95% efficiency, a 250w panel will actually draw 262.5 to 275w. But if the driver's only 85% efficient, as the "Meanwell's" seem to be.. well that's 287.5w. And if just using resistors.. could be as high as 300w.. just like a hid.

By the way.. if the manufacturers use proper heatsinks, then even driving at max wouldn't be too much of a problem.. as long as fans are used as well. Take a look at what the "coral reefer" community does.. they've been using 3w Cree's for quite a few years, growing coral in saltwater tanks.. 18" deep. And they're replacing 400w metal halides to do it ;).

Cheers.......... :)

C

CereaLED

sorry i wasnt trying to talk to you like an idiot then lol just trying to help out

I completely agree with you, they shouldnt rate the light at max draw but at least they state in there the actual draw making them look foolish

S

Spuzzum

Cheers....... :)

But do you know your panel's actual output? I mean.. what do they actually call the panel.. a 580w? It's kinda important to know what you're buying, no? When you buy a 250hps, you know it's a 250w light.. that uses 300w. When you buy a panel from a "competitor", they usually state the output wattage the light's rated at. If they tell the actual draw as well, great.. but the output is more important in the initial consideration. Area's "x" big, so needs "x" wattage of led's.

The ad specifically says "Wattage – 1,200 watts; actual power draw 580 watts". But take the 15% rule for overhead, and that 580w is powering a 530w panel.

530w is a far cry form 1200w!!

And what's worse.. a 530w panel.. for $3500!!?? The panel has 150 20mm led's and 8 big-assed "I don't know" diodes.. whites? A 200 led panel, consisting of Cree's and LedEngin's.. less than $1000 if you made it yourself. Even cheaper if you used Chinese crap. But stay away from Chinese crap..

http://i851.invalid.com/albums/ab80/thereal_spuzzum/star.jpg

660nm from China... see the white thermal "paste"? Diodes are supposed to be reflowed/soldered to the star.. not just the pins, but the underside as well. Epoxy isn't as good as metal for heat transfer. Led's won't last the life span they're rated at.

http://i851.invalid.com/albums/ab80/thereal_spuzzum/Stars.jpg

Thickness of the stars... Cree star on top half, Chinese star on bottom half. Cree star's nearly twice as thick! Chinese crap is just that... CRAP! Stay away!

But it's not just these guys.. it's "all" of them. They're actually starting to sound like politicians running a "dirty" campaign. Shit.. Blackstar even starts the video saying theirs is better than Chinese lights, 'cause they use Cree's. But they only use "Cree Whites".. everything else is Chinese! Cree doesn't make 660nm, 730nm, nor 380nm. In fact.. the only 380nm in high powered led's you can find.. China. ;)

I'm sick of the bullshit lies. How stupid do these clowns actually think we are??

This is why I'm building my own.. at least I know wtf's inside ;).

Cheers man........ :)

S

Spuzzum

My bad.. redid the math with a calculator... it's actually a 500w panel.. drawing 580w to run.

And for $3500!! :confused0054:

GLH would've been a better choice.. and for $2000 less... lol!

convex

convex

I would like to see a side by side controlled comparison of the 580 vs. a 600 hps.

In the end you are paying by the watt, the proof would be in yield comparison.

Cheers

M

mistamiles

has anyone heard of apache tech? how efficient is it in comparison with GLH or lumi? is there anything better thats commercially available?

B

bags123

I just purchase a 600 Watt led grow light by a company called Articsun. It utilizes 3 and 6 watt diodes and covers the entire spectrum. 799.00 on their site. Articsunled.com . Haven't set mine up yet,...but it looks impressive. :)

L

Lost

I just purchase a 600 Watt led grow light by a company called Articsun. It utilizes 3 and 6 watt diodes and covers the entire spectrum. 799.00 on their site. Articsunled.com . Haven't set mine up yet,...but it looks impressive. :)

So after reading about the BS of led companies you still shelled out 800 bucks? Fuck, i need to start a LED company!

420Gator

420Gator

whats the point of these leds with huge wattages? i thought they were to save energy

@ lost u are so right. im about to go to some junkyards, get as many led brake lights as i can and put em all up on CL. Seriously

S

shadow51020

http://ledgrow.eu/

A bunch of good info about LED growing, specifically for ganj. and a DIY with the exact diodes to buy. i"ve been following it for a while before i bought my blackstar 240 (which is 180w draw). His diy led is just over 60w draw and his yield was 97g dry. which equates to about 60-65 kwh per gram if i did that right.

Don't hate on LED if it isn't your cup of tea. the thread is CHOOSING THE RIGHT LED, not flame on led lights.

Top Bottom