Choosing The Right Gavita

• Thread starter dankemhunter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankemhunter

dankemhunter

I am setting up a little 5 light sealed room. My ceilings are 8.5 feet high. I was curious if the 1000 DEs would be too hot or if I should run the 750s. Ideally I would like to run the 1000s but I have no experience w gavita so I'm not sure. Room will have A/C so heat shouldn't be an issue. What is ideal height you want the 1000 and 750 above canopy?
Thanks
DH

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

my opinion on this issue...always get more than you need....i would suspect that the 750 is more than enough, and the 1000 might produce a bit more heat than desired....but i would still get the 1000, and just dim them down...you never know when you might want to raise the intensity, and for the price they are not much difference in price, so i would get the bigger model and just dim them down and tweek my room with them

according to gavita, 42" above canopy if it is your main lighting source, and 8-12ft above canopy if its for supplemental lighting

HIGHTEST

HIGHTEST

Im an oldschool hid light user....this technology has me dumbfounded in a good way. 42" above! Now that's a light man!

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Im an oldschool hid light user....this technology has me dumbfounded in a good way. 42" above! Now that's a light man!
hey man, i still use my magnetic ballasts and batwing reflectors, i keep it oldschool, lol...i hate spending money on something if its just an upgrade to something i got that already works...pulling 6-8k out my ass for new lights, i might as well wait to set a new spot up and then splurge lol..i guess ive done that enough in the past and learned my lesson, im not making money if im spending it lol

ive heard of ppl getting away with 30-36" above canopy just fine, room environment will play a huge role...

im still holding out for the bml spydr 1200 to come down in cost, it out produces gavita per 4x4 area, and takes about 400 watts less..also count in the less cooling you will need

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

What style do you grow? What size are the finished trees?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I think(know)you should get the 750s,I had 1000s with 8' ceilings and it did not work out,perfect with 750s though.The 750's were made for this exact reason and a dimmed 1000 de is no where as efficient as a 750,not to mention spectral changes when you dim.Personally id consider 9.5-10' ceilings the MINIMUM for the 1k de's.I dont think heat was as much a factor as intensity of light if that makes sense?I actually run more watts per sq ft with the 750s(6x750=4500) than what i did with 1000s(4x1000=4000)but the 1ks would fry/light bleach all the tops IME anyways.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

@fishwhistle This was the exact input I was looking for. Thank you sir.. I heard dimming down a 1000 gavita is a no no.
@Joe Fresh I have been looking at the spyder 1200's for a while. Just cant justify spending that much on one light. Like you said, when the price drops, I'll reconcider. Although an A/C unit plush all the energy it takes to run it, would pay for itself pretty quickly with running the spyders.

DH

Top Bottom