Circuit breakers & outlet?

• Thread starter spider125
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spider125

Ok so after adding things up, I'm right on the edge for the circuit breaker for where I'm putting my grow tent at. So, this means I need to install a new breaker and outlet. Is this hard? I did a little light reading about it last night and it says to turn off the main switch. My question is, what do I need to shut off first to make sure it won't get messed up when I through the main breaker? I only have electric apps so no gas or pilot lights to worry about. Can someone help? Also a few other questions but I'll wait to see what someone says. Thanks!

I

ibTheMan

EZ as hell, you do it live with the breaker your putn in turned off, super EZ. you can get double brakers to make one 20a two, or 1 15a to two if you need more space(full panel).

No need to turn off the main breaker.

S

spider125

So you have done it before? I've read that if you don't throw the main the buss is still live and i could die! I don't like dying. I've heard it sucks... :) The room where i'm putting everything is unfinished. So it won't be hard to run the wires. I'm just worried about installing the breaker in the fuse panel. Any one else with any advice?

sedate

sedate

Not shutting off the main breaker - while working on the main breaker - is incredibly stupid.

Do not ever do that.

But - as far as the OP goes - more information would be more helpful here.

Installing an 240V circuit isn't a very difficult task - even for an electrical neophyte - there are a number of good tutorials out there for the googling.

If you are just at the standard 1875w limit for a 15A residential outlet - the easiest solution IMHO is to get an extention cord and just split the load up between two of the home circuits. Like - run the lamp on one and the fans and pumps and shit off of the other circuit.

S

spider125

I would much rather put in another circuit breaker for 20amps. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I guess I'll call around and get a couple quotes for it for now. If anyone has anything else to add please do so! Thanks!

sedate

sedate

spider said:
I would much rather put in another circuit breaker for 20amps. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I guess I'll call around and get a couple quotes for it for now. If anyone has anything else to add please do so

Yea that's safe.

Extention cords are safe. And easy.

Anyway - you didn't really explain it like that - changing out the breaker is *incredibly* simple if that's all you want to do.

Absolutely shutoff the main power - so you don't die -

Then you just have you remove the 15a breaker you want to replace and swap in a 20a - just snap a picture of the breaker and take it to home depot and ask for a 20a version and it'll run ya like $9 at most - there are a few different styles of breakers but they all just snap/screw right in/out - and wiring that's ok at 15a/120v will be fine at 20a/120v.

sedate

sedate

spider said:
I guess I'll call around and get a couple quotes for it for now.

It'll take you less time to do it yourself. This is so easy.

C

c4NN4daze

Electric Ave.

Okay so i'm in the same boat here as far as haveing a spaxce that needs electric. The best thing that i found to work and offers a easy setup is a Titan 4 Helios Control box. ANyone ever used these? which way is easiest? Safe?

S

spider125

Sorry. Here it goes. I have one breaker for the area where I'm going to start growing. It's a 15amp breaker. It already has a small tv, dvd, and a small deep freezer on that breaker. After adding up all the amps for everything it would throw that 15amp. So what I want to do is, since I have space in my main box, is put in another circuit breaker for 20 amps just for my grow project. 20 amps just to be safe. Everything for the grow would be right around 10amps. I went with 20 just in case. Better safe then sorry. The room is unfinished so it won't a problem running the electrical wires and hooking up an outlet. What I want to know is if anyone has ever installed a new circuit breaker for just one outlet. The breaker box is in the room where I will grow at. The wire would be about 20 ft max. Anyone see a problem doing it like this? Any suggestions? It's a challenger fuse box. So the circuit breaker would be model BR120 if that helps anyone. Hope this helps more. I'm hoping it's as easy as it seems. I'm mostly worried about throwing the main breaker. I'm not sure if I have to do anything special to the furnace or the water heater before I do this. I don't want to break something! Thanks everyone. Anything else you want to know please let me know.

I

ibTheMan

So you have done it before? I've read that if you don't throw the main the buss is still live and i could die! I don't like dying. I've heard it sucks... :) The room where i'm putting everything is unfinished. So it won't be hard to run the wires. I'm just worried about installing the breaker in the fuse panel. Any one else with any advice?

Ive done it dozens and dozens of times, and i wouldnt lie.

you run the wire put in the outlet,wire it, in the fuse box you run your grounds (white, bare wires) then you put your black wire in the new breaker while it Still Out of the spot in the fuse box, make sure its off, push it in turn it on, your done, safe and no resetn everything in the house

S

spider125

Ok but from what I've read though, it says I have to open the box up. I'm not sure if all boxes have to be opened. Like I said I'm just worried about getting dead. :) I did read that it says wire the outlet first then run to the fuse. Wire up the white first then the black then pop it in. I'm going to the home depot tomorrow to pick up everything. Anything that I might be missing? BR120 breaker, 25ft 14-2 wire, outlet, outlet cover, juction box (i think thats what its called for the outlet to sit in). Did i miss anything? I'll take pics and do a walkthrough when I do it so if anyone else needs help doing it. Thanks for info too! I'm def not going to pay if its that easy to do!

I

ibTheMan

14-2 is 15a wire, so if your run'n ah 20a youll need 12 gauge wire.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
This is very easy.

Add up the load on the main panel and make sure you have a large enough power supply coming in to the panel to run the extra. Just because the slot is available does not guarantee that their is enough power there to support it. Most likely it will be plenty extra but I've seen a couple that have had 100amp boxes installed and only had 60amps supply.

Connect your wire to a 20amp GFI outlet. I like Romex wire just like an electrician would use. Then run to your panel. You should be able to look at the way the rest of them are wired and see and it goes. Then TURN THE MAIN BREAKER OFF and connect to the panel like ibTheMan said. It can be done without turning the main power off but why take the risk. Like driving with your feet. Can be doesn't make it a good idea. Anyway, if you wanna be ballsy then go at it all juiced up but I'd rather be safe. I've never had to reset anything in the house except the clocks....Just like a little power outage. Nothing bad happens.

fred

S

spider125

So I don't have to do anything special to the furnace or the water heater when I throw the breaker?

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
No. If you have a digital thermostat then you will have to reset temp or turn it back on at thermostat. Just turn the furnace off and make sure the fan isn't running when you throw it. You don't need to but while we are being extra careful....

fred

S

spider125

thanks for the info! +Rep for you sir! I'll let ya know how it goes!

hiboy

hiboy

Challenger breakers arent available anymore, they went out of business. You'll want to get a murray (brand). Your dig. thermostat should have a AA battery in it for back up due to power outages (what your simulating). Romex wire is great but its not meant to be exposed outside of walls where it can get damaged. You'll want to sleeve it in flex (bendable aluminum conduit) to protect it. I like Freds idea about the GFI outlet. Make sure its 20 amp like he suggested. IT will have a horiz. slot connected to the vertical slots. And ya turn off the main, bettter to be safe than sorry. Hell today i had to relocate a main 200 amp panel and just chopped the feeders from the pole live, no gloves, but i've been doin it for 20 years so to me its no biggie.
goodluck

Top Bottom