Cleaning Buds While Still In The Ground

• Thread starter Mifarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Hello Fellow Farmers, well eveeything went fine through veg and I thought I was going to avoid leaf septoria this year. BUT NOPE! Then flowering started and the leaf spots came on strong. Its not a nute thing. I live on 7 acres of heavily wooded land and you can walk around the property and see that sheet on all the trees and bushes.

I usually dont make a big deal about it, and trim my buds real close during harvest but this year I see those spots even getting on the sugar leaves which of course is right there next to the buds.

I prolly have 15 days till I begin harvest on 7 plants.

What will happen if in a week or so if I actually trim the buds that have the septoria extremely bad and remove 75 percent of everything. Leaving only a few leaves and all buds. Will the buds still produce new trichomes? Will the plant die? I know leaves capture the energy from the sun but is that still a factor at the tail end of flower?

TomH

TomH

Completely lack of experience reply:

Presumably, the buds will still have their trichs, you are removing the sugar leaves, not the entire bud lining.
The buds probably aren't gaining any new "stuff" but are maturing at this point.
Is the chance of doing that ^ stuff, less worrisome than letting the septoria get a grater hold of your plants?

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Hi Tom, as I just spent the last few hours removing dead leaves as a result of the septoria i have come to the conclusion that I will need to pick and choose what stays and what goes and focus my attention on the big buds.

I have 7 plants so even if I start removing even more growth (i pruned more than normal during veg) I should still end up with enough good buds. Hate throwing away buds but as it stands right now it is way to much to handle to try and save the small to medium sized buds.
The real problem with the septoria is when the leaves rot near the buds, it creates an environment prone to bud rot.

Jimmie

Jimmie

I’m having the same problem, race to the finish. Royal pain in the ass. I think mine will be ok, but sure looks ugly. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

I’m having the same problem, race to the finish. Royal pain in the ass. I think mine will be ok, but sure looks ugly. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!
Are you in Michigan?

cpurola

cpurola

Does it look anything like this? BTW, I'm in Southeast Michigan and I've grown outdoors in the same spot for 2 years with the same problem for 2 years.
I thought it was septoria but my previous infections looked a little different. The large white spots are new. Oh, and I've had massive fan leaf wilt, yellow, dry and fall off of my Black Sugar and Northern Lights.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Kinda like that. I’m just going by pics I’ve seen. Yellow brown spots followed by curling dry leaves. All my flowers still look great. My plants are in my vegetable and flower garden. Not all the plants are affected, some are pretty close to each other. I’m not worried, looks like most of them have a couple of weeks to go.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Does it look anything like this? BTW, I'm in Southeast Michigan and I've grown outdoors in the same spot for 2 years with the same problem for 2 years.
I thought it was septoria but my previous infections looked a little different. The large white spots are new. Oh, and I've had massive fan leaf wilt, yellow, dry and fall off of my Black Sugar and Northern Lights.

View attachment 1281776
Mine look pretty similar and I am on the west side of the state near Grand Rapids.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

View attachment 1281776
And let me guess. Your plant looked great right up until it started to flower. What did you use for nutes once they started ti flower?

cpurola

cpurola

And let me guess. Your plant looked great right up until it started to flower. What did you use for nutes once they started ti flower?
Yep, you're right, started about a month ago and I've tried all the things.
I know enough to be patient and not go crazy so I fed them Fox Farms Tiger Bloom twice and CalMg CleanKelp and Tps Silica once in the last 6 weeks.
I freaked when the fan leaves started yellowing all the way up the plants and thought it might be a root problem but they're in the ground and not a whole lot I can do. Oh, and I water with well water.
What's crazy is that it doesn't seem to be happening to all of my plants.
I have 3 each of Northern Lights, Fast Jack Herer, Doctor Seedsman 30:1, Peyote Wi-Fi CBD and Black Sugar.
It's the worst on my Northern Lights and Black Sugar, but now I see it on Jack Herer. Just worried about the sugar leaf die back affecting the buds.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Yep, you're right, started about a month ago and I've tried all the things.
I know enough to be patient and not go crazy so I fed them Fox Farms Tiger Bloom twice and CalMg CleanKelp and Tps Silica once in the last 6 weeks.
I freaked when the fan leaves started yellowing all the way up the plants and thought it might be a root problem but they're in the ground and not a whole lot I can do. Oh, and I water with well water.
What's crazy is that it doesn't seem to be happening to all of my plants.
I have 3 each of Northern Lights, Fast Jack Herer, Doctor Seedsman 30:1, Peyote Wi-Fi CBD and Black Sugar.
It's the worst on my Northern Lights and Black Sugar, but now I see it on Jack Herer. Just worried about the sugar leaf die back affecting the buds.
I highly doubt its the nutes but i used Tiger Bloom as well. Also used it last year. This is my 4th grow. 1st year I used nothing but regular ol' Miracle Grow and eveeything went smooth. Honestly cant remember what I used year two, but then last year and this i used all Fox Farm. Who knows. Good Luck.

cpurola

cpurola

I highly doubt its the nutes but i used Tiger Bloom as well. Also used it last year. This is my 4th grow. 1st year I used nothing but regular ol' Miracle Grow and everything went smooth. Honestly cant remember what I used year two, but then last year and this i used all Fox Farm. Who knows. Good Luck.
Don't think it's Fox Farm, this happened to me last year too and I didn't use it then.
Read a couple of threads about the bad fungus critters (fusarium, pythium) that can plague our roots and I hope it isn't that.

I've been growing since it became legal too. Such a blast. I make edibles to help us sleep so I really don't need all I grow but I am now addicted to growing.
My first year was easy and eductional. I bought auto seeds and photos came free. Had no problems with the autos, but the photos were a challenge.
Almost killed the photos with left over house plant spikes, but they still grew 7' tall and produced half a pound each.( In miracle grow and 10 gallon bags.)
I kept a grow diary the second and third year and it helped 'cause I went down the rabbit hole and wanted to try everything. ;)

Michigan is a great place to grow, but I have to pick varieties that finish sooner. In fact, this is the first time I've tried a FAST photo and it is working out great blooming at least a full 2 weeks ahead of the others.

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Don't think it's Fox Farm, this happened to me last year too and I didn't use it then.
Read a couple of threads about the bad fungus critters (fusarium, pythium) that can plague our roots and I hope it isn't that.

I've been growing since it became legal too. Such a blast. I make edibles to help us sleep so I really don't need all I grow but I am now addicted to growing.
My first year was easy and eductional. I bought auto seeds and photos came free. Had no problems with the autos, but the photos were a challenge.
Almost killed the photos with left over house plant spikes, but they still grew 7' tall and produced half a pound each.( In miracle grow and 10 gallon bags.)
I kept a grow diary the second and third year and it helped 'cause I went down the rabbit hole and wanted to try everything. ;)

Michigan is a great place to grow, but I have to pick varieties that finish sooner. In fact, this is the first time I've tried a FAST photo and it is working out great blooming at least a full 2 weeks ahead of the others.
Hi guys,

I am near Port Huron and had same thing happen to my leaves shortly after flower started. I’m going to chalk it up to nute deficiency. I didn’t react soon enough with nutes at transition. Phos and K deficiency with accompanying cal mag deficiency.Gave Big bloom and cal mag and they look better already. They were so beautiful and green during veg! I too have 2 strains of F1 Fast seeds growing—TROPICANNA Poison and Sweet cheese from sweet seeds. I’m mightily impressed with how vigorous these plants are and will certainly continue to use fast flowering strain. My TROPICANNA plants are about a week out from chop. Take care and good Michigan harvest to both of you.

The_word

The_word

Hello Fellow Farmers, well eveeything went fine through veg and I thought I was going to avoid leaf septoria this year. BUT NOPE! Then flowering started and the leaf spots came on strong. Its not a nute thing. I live on 7 acres of heavily wooded land and you can walk around the property and see that sheet on all the trees and bushes.

I usually dont make a big deal about it, and trim my buds real close during harvest but this year I see those spots even getting on the sugar leaves which of course is right there next to the buds.

I prolly have 15 days till I begin harvest on 7 plants.

What will happen if in a week or so if I actually trim the buds that have the septoria extremely bad and remove 75 percent of everything. Leaving only a few leaves and all buds. Will the buds still produce new trichomes? Will the plant die? I know leaves capture the energy from the sun but is that still a factor at the tail end of flower?
Have you considered harvesting a little early?

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Yes, but only because I’m impatient. Lol. I have been using Lost coast plant therapy all season to prevent mildew and deter rot. So far, it’s worked very well, but it’s crunch time now—we’ll see. I’m growing on an outdoor scrog this year and it’s pretty difficult to check any middle buds. I have other plants that won’t be ready for a couple weeks plus. As much as I don’t want to, I’m probably going to spray with southern ag garden friendly fungicide to deter rot over next couple weeks.

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Yep, I just checked mine through the loupe and they could come down now, but I have a red/purple pheno that I want to color up some more. I’ll give it a few more days and see what’s the what then.

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Probably not a good idea
You mean using the fungicide so close to harvest? I don’t want to do it, and I don’t see any issues so I’ll probably not do it just to be safe. Hope I’m not sorry…

Top Bottom